No announcement yet.

Worried about a couple bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That second buck is a real nice 10 and you did right to let him grow another year! If he made it I think you know what he could turn into and my guess would be low to mid 160's.I hope he made it and you get to see him again.I have several bucks without horns right now and that may be the case with him also.I had several big deer make it through the season near you and I don't see them but once in awhile.I had several go 3 to 4 weeks between sightings and found out later they where using a Winter wheat field 1 mile away.Luckily the guy that owns the field lets most the deer go and he really don't hunt or kill anything.I'm doing my best over here on management and I know you are so hopefully things will get better for us.
    I know how you feel right now and the 24" deer I was hoping to have me or my wife kill has never been seen past September 4th this season.I'm on 4,500 acres but have 2 bordering neighbors that don't hunt much and they both said they never seen him.
    I hope your deer and my deer are still roaming around and keep the great genetics going in this area!

Comment

Great bucks! I hope they make a reappearance for ya.

Comment

can you really stop a land owner from hunting on his own property even if it is in the leasing agreement? Surely, family members of his can be stopped, but he himself?

Comment

Those are some great deer, hope you see them next year.

Comment

Our landowner could care less about deer. He may hunt dove occasionally, but he's not a big hunter. He's not even a little hunter. LOL When we got the place, he told us he probably had about 50 deer on the place, about as many bucks as does. Well, that hot July day, after he showed us the boundaries and turned us loose, we saw about 35 does. He also let us manage it however we wanted. He told us to kill all the deer if we wanted to. So, we know the landowner didn't kill the deer.

He also told us when we leased the place that all hunting and fishing rights were ours and we would control who hunted and fished. He told us his brother liked to fish the river, but it was ours now. That pic last year of the "poacher" was his brother in law quail hunting. When we showed him the pic, he knew who it was. We've since met the man and he told us that the landowner likes what we do with the place and really looks out for us. He said he was married to his sister and that didn't stop him from chewing every bit of his hind end off for going on the place.

He's the best landowner we've ever leased from and we trust him.

His theory on leasing is "If I leased my grazing rights to you and then ran my cattle on it, it wouldn't be ethical. If I lease the hunting rights to you, no one but you will hunt it."

Comment

Working...
            X