Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old tire = quick hog feeder

Ok guys tell me what you think....

I was watching Tejas Adventures on the MOR channel this afternoon and their "tip of the week" thing was using an old tire for a hog feeder. They were hunting javalinas down south somewhere and the rancher used tires in several different places as feeders to stalk hogs at. He would lay them over and pour corn in the inside of the tire and as the hogs pushed and rubbed on them the corn would work it's way out for them to feed on.

Now I realize these wouldn't hold a large amount of corn, and you'd have to frequently refill them if you had a bad hog problem (or as i like to put it, "lucky enough to have hogs consistently visit"), but do yall think it would work?

My father-in-law has several worn out tires and I figured I could help him get rid of them and increase my kill ratio/success!

Got any comments or "been there, dun that and..."?

-Letney

did they just pour it in the inside and not put anything to keep the hogs from just dumping it all out? Seams like it wouldnt occupy them very long to empty it.

I would think the hog pipes would be a better option.

Comment

well ever try to get water out of a tire, takes some time, it might work...and it would prob hold more corn than you think....

d
      Last edited by Dugie; 06-25-2007, 03:31 PM.

Comment

thanks for the input. don't have a clue if they anchored the tire in any way. the one they showed had a pretty bare spot rubbed on the ground where the hogs had been pushing it around.

that's a great point about getting water out of a tire, i never thought about it that way. if anyone else is brave enough to give it a try, let me know how it works out. right now i don't have the place to do it.

-Letney

Comment

tires are good !

I put two tires full of corn out on our land and they worked good. I found one tire about 20 yards from where I put it and the second tire was about 30 yards off a trail up in the woods. They really worked hard on them tires trying to get the corn out. If there working hard on geting the corn out there not working hard on watching for you. Good luck..

Comment

If you put a couple of metal posts into the ground in the middle they could not push it far for flip it over.

Comment

hey thanks guys, these are great bits of feedback! i thought about two tires and then expected them to get pushed 1/2 a mile, but i like the t-post idea a lot. thanks, that will really help.

what about two tires tied together, do you think they'd be able to push them as far or just flip them easier?

Comment

At my ranch we used to use a 55 gallon drum with tiny holds drilled it it. We would drill two holes in the end where you could chain it to a tree. The hogs would roll it around and the corn would come out of the small holes. You would be amazed at what hogs would do for some corn. The ground was worked over big time.

Comment

That sounds like a great idea. I will have to give it a try. And if corn is anything like water its a pain to get it out of a tire.

Comment

Sounds like it would work. Just cement a pipe in the ground and drop the tire over it.

Comment

6' T-post in the ground and slip the tire over it...

Comment

I doubt they'd last long with hogs, but I used to use plastic 2-liter Coke bottles for feeders. Just fill them up with corn and leave the lid off. Deer have to roll 'em around to dribble out the corn. Maybe a PVC pipe with end caps and a small hole drilled in it somewhere would work for hogs like that. A threaded cap on one end would make filling it easier too.

A tire on a post would stay put better though.

Comment

Originally posted by sundownbrown View Post
                          At my ranch we used to use a 55 gallon drum with tiny holds drilled it it. We would drill two holes in the end where you could chain it to a tree. The hogs would roll it around and the corn would come out of the small holes. You would be amazed at what hogs would do for some corn. The ground was worked over big time.
                          We did just about the same thing but with a piece of 4" PVC with a glued cap on one end with a hole in it with a cable attached to a tree, the other end had a female with a plug so you can remove it to fill.
                          Hog would wear a trench where they pushed it.

Comment

Working...
                          X