No announcement yet.

Deer not coming to Protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not hitting protein in karnes either. Too green right now.

Comment

Just an update, both of our 350 #er's were completely drained and then our large 500 #er was just about empty. It might have had a full 50# bag left in it.

Comment

Great man looks like you have started your program.

Now go take out a second mortgage.

Comment

same county and feed

Originally posted by peacockoutdoors View Post
          hhhhhhmmmmm. This is why I have not put out protein on my farm. No one around us feed it so I'm afraid the deer would shy away from it? Also, I can't even get the deer to come to my corn feeders right now.
          Dont know how far apart we are but have been planting and protein for 10yrs.First time I put one out it was a old well drum that held 400lbs. and they devoured it in 10 days. Going this tomm. to refill and plant.

Comment

They have eaten very little protein at my place . I am going to add corn to mine tomorrow.

Comment

When you're first starting out with raw protein on a place that's never had it, find the lowest % and mix it 1:4 with regular corn. In my experience, deer don't like the taste of protein especially when there is anything else to eat. Watch the ground under the feeder to see what's left over every time you go by. Once you start seeing the protein get picked up, add a little more to the mix next time. Worse comes to worse the cows or hogs will be getting pretty thick......hehe

Also, I agree with earlier poster, it is better to have protein VERY near the water. Once you see the protein being picked up, sit the water or check the trails to it to see what's been eating it. There should almost be a b-line to the water from the feeder. It'll give a good indication if the investment is worth it.

Comment

last year was first year we fed protein and they slammed it from the get go(may) but last year was really dry. We started about a month ago and they have barely touched it. Also started cottonseed 2 weeks ago on two different places and they havent touched it either. Give it another month or month and a half when things get dry and hard and they will come back again. They are sticking to the heavy foods also, I havent seen as many in open fields this year so far.

Comment

I put a bucket of horse and mule feed out to get them coming in. That helps. But if you are getting alot of rain like we are then ours cut back and feed on alot fo the natural vegetation.

Comment

Mix it with corn and they'll eventually take to it. Like everyone has said it's so green they wont start hitting it until it dries up.

Comment

Working...
                    X