Fly Rod help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fly Rod help

I’m looking to upgrade my current fly rod/reel and would like some help in deciding what to go with. I’ll be using it for trout fishing in CO but will also be taking it to Broken Bow for some quick trips. Right now I have a Cabelas combo in a 5 weight. It’s worked well for me but would like to get a little better quality setup. What would y’all recommend? Not really looking to break the bank but would like a quality set up.

Thanks for any help.

Any of the orvis clear water rods would be an upgrade and wont really break the bank.

Comment

Also check out the Redington stuff. The Behemoth reels are pretty affordable and really durable. They have rods for pretty well every budget. a Classic Trout/Behemoth outfit would be a good one for a while.
      Last edited by silencer2011; 08-15-2022, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I just brought back some of my fly equipment from my bro-in-law’s cabin in Idaho and realize I have way more stuff than I need at my situation in life now. I will be selling some rods and reels, along with packs, nets, flies, boots, etc.

Let me know if you are interested. I have some rods that have not been used, and some only a few times.

What weight(s) are you wanting to buy?

Comment

Some solid suggestions here. The orvis stuff is pretty solid. I just bought my daughter a Reddington youth outfit and am pretty impressed with it for the price.

I’m a fan of sage stuff personally but it’s not easy on the wallet usually.

Waterworks Lamson reels are some of my favorite I own three currently. Just another option

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
            I just brought back some of my fly equipment from my bro-in-law’s cabin in Idaho and realize I have way more stuff than I need at my situation in life now. I will be selling some rods and reels, along with packs, nets, flies, boots, etc.

Let me know if you are interested. I have some rods that have not been used, and some only a few times.

What weight(s) are you wanting to buy?
            I’m looking to get another 5 wt. Please, let me know what you have. I may be interested in some of your gear.

Thank you

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

Comment

Check out Moonshine Rods and their Drifter2 for a fairly reasonable rod ($200) of good quality. The thing that sold me was they come with an extra tip in case you break one. I have a 5wt with a Reddington Behemoth reel.

Comment

Sage or tfo

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would look at TFO in Dallas their rods are awesome, they also have a if you break it they will replace it no questions. Are you wanting to upgrade to like a fiberglass rod or stick with graphite. I went to fiberglass and will never look back. As for reels I have been buying expensive reels and have come to realize the old timers are right. Reels are just line holders, spend the money on the rod and the line and get a good reel that works.

Comment

I first went with whatever I could get my hands on to learn with. After I felt comfortable with my abilities I gifted what I had and went with Orvis Clearwater. I will say it wasn’t long after that I was ready to upgrade again so I went with all Hardy for freshwater and TFO Axiom II for salt. The Orvis rods were given away. I would suggest going with a middle line that won’t break the bank and if you enjoy it and use them often, save up for a premium and don’t look back!

Micheal

Comment

I’ve casted most of them. My current go to brands are Hardy and R.L. Winston. I’ve personally seen Sage and Orvis break numerous times.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P View Post
                          I would look at TFO in Dallas their rods are awesome, they also have a if you break it they will replace it no questions. Are you wanting to upgrade to like a fiberglass rod or stick with graphite. I went to fiberglass and will never look back. As for reels I have been buying expensive reels and have come to realize the old timers are right. Reels are just line holders, spend the money on the rod and the line and get a good reel that works.
                          Forgot about that

My son broke a section of a tfo in Florida. For less than 50 bucks and the rod info they sent a new section

Back in bidness

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Fly Rod help

I love a TFO rod, have had a couple different sage rods, but TFO lasts long and loads well. Have also had them replace broken rods several times (always my fault)

For a real, I really like to go middle of the road, I’ve had the junky and fished friends expensive stuff… don’t break the bank, but don’t buy plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
                              I love a TFO rod, have had a couple different sage rods, but TFO lasts long and loads well. Have also had them replace broken rods several times (always my fault)

For a real, I really like to go middle of the road, I’ve had the junky and fished friends expensive stuff… don’t break the bank, but don’t buy plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              This is sound advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X