New Deer Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Deer Blind

I am wanting to build a new deer blind. I have two kids, and my lease partner does as well. Wanting to build something that can hold 3 folks (1 adult, 2 kids. I have all the plywood needed, so that will help keep the cost down. Trying to keep this build as simple as possible. Would like to pre-build at house in sections and slap it together in the woods. Thinking about framing it out with 2x2s, or whatever is the most cost effective when I go to the store. My questions:

Would you build it 6x6, 4x8, or other size?
    Height to bottom of window (shooting ledge)?
    Kids will be shooting, so I do not want it to be too high for them, but needs to work for an adult, too.

Thanks.

Go 6x6 or 5x8 minimum for three people.

Hard to have a do all window height. Sorta gotta get a chair and see what’s right for you. 39” to bottom of window is a good starting height for average folks.

Comment

Here is what I did and it worked great. I got one of those 7x7 Rubbermade sheds. I put some Deerview windows on it. Its big enough to fit two swivel recliners and however many other chairs you can fit in the back. For the base I bolted together 6 pallets to make an 8x10 platform. That gave me room for a porch to make it easier to get in and out. I used 6ft 4x4's for legs with 2x4 bracing. The shed comes in pieces and can put put together easily.

I found my shed used on facebook marketplace for $100 just an FYI
      Last edited by Triple 7; 08-12-2022, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I have 6x6 and 8x8. For 3 people 8x8 is what I'd build. That size also works great for not wasting material.

Comment

Im building one now that is 5x6 and its plenty big. I started out as a 6x6 and it was big enough to put a cot in. 6x6 would make a real comfortable for 3.

Comment

6x8 would be fine, I built an 8x8, and while its great and lots of room, if I ever stop hunting where I do now that blind will stay, heavy and just big overall. 6x8 will be the next one, simply cause we can build it on skids and load it on a trailer.

Comment

Build it bigger than you think you need. Think about the 3 of you, backpacks, heater, rifle, binos, small cooler, etc. It's not how big it is for people, think about other things that will be in the stand as well. Not to mention you don't want it too cramped to get a gun out the window or having to change positions. If you ever want to set the rifle up on a tripod inside the stand to help the kids hold the rifle steady, you'll want a little extra room.

A 6x8 would be idea size IMO. Window height should be appx 36". You don't want to build them too short as they'll get older and have to crouch down to be able to shoot out of a low window. They can always sit on boat cushions, jackets, etc in their chair to raise them up a little bit. You can always do an experiment. Have the kids sit in a chair similar to what they'll sit in when in the stand. Have them hold a broom or something, leaning forward to simulate shooting out of a deer stand and measure from the broomstick down to the floor. Then you do the exact same thing. Find a happy medium but remember the kids are going to grow up and get taller.

If you're building it in panels to be put together at the lease, I would use full 2x4's on the corners as well as the top and floor plates. (This will give you extra "meat" when bolting or screwing everything together.) Use 2x2's for framing around the windows and studs for the middle area of each panel.

Comment

I hunt with my two boys and 4 x 8 just doesn’t cut it anymore. 6x6 would be my vote. I built one out of a tank last year that is 7 foot across and it is perfect. Four of us fit with office chairs for everybody and room for gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I built one a couple years ago and did a 4x6 it held an adult and 2 kids (10 and 8) just fine. You just knock 2ft off the end the end of the floor and roof and had the one wall joint on each 6' side wall which was sealed up with the frame studs. Same would be if it was 4x8. Any wider/deeper than 4ft you have joints to butt up together on the floor, roof, and all the walls. 2x2s would be fine if you had 2x4s you could rip those and use as 2x2s. Last I looked 2x2s were surprisingly cheaper that 2x4s. As far as window height grab the chairs you want to sit in and do a test fit with you and the kids.

Comment

Do not build a stand 4ft deep. Way to skinny. A 6x8 would work fine for you. 6x6 is plenty of room for 2 grown men.

Comment

Agreed on 6x6 or 6x8.....We have both on our lease and they are great for bow and rifle hunting. 4' deep is too narrow in my opinion for a bow. I wouldn't want it for a rifle either if I was building it.

Comment

6x8 is the ticket…. Built 2 a couple of years back and reassembled at the ranch. Plenty of room for all your gear and some office chairs.

Comment

Go search my Octagon build in DIY. I think it would hunt 3 easy!

Rwc

Comment

5x8 is fantastic. You can go bigger, but I don't think you need to. A lot of people frame with 2x2s, but I prefer 2x3s.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                              5x8 is fantastic. You can go bigger, but I don't think you need to. A lot of people frame with 2x2s, but I prefer 2x3s.

2x3’s?

You don’t need to go bigger either.

Comment

Working...
                              X