Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LIV Golf

Anyone following the creation of this league? More PGA golfers resigning

Players calling the PGA Tour’s bluff….good for them.

Comment

I'm definitely following. I wasn't too concerned at first, but with the recent news of Patrick Reed and Bryson DeChambeau leaving, I'm beginning to wonder if even more will follow.

Comment

I'm out of the loop on this. Why are the golfers leaving the PGA for this other league?

Comment

Originally posted by elhefe View Post
          I'm out of the loop on this. Why are the golfers leaving the PGA for this other league?
          A lot of guaranteed money vs no money unless you make it to Sunday.

Comment

I have been reading all the news about it but hadn't really looked up what LIV golf was trying to produce besides higher pay days.

Per a little bit of quick research on their website:
            -Shotgun starts so it will be more like a watching a traditional sporting event rather than something that drags on all day.
            -Concerts and parties after the round.
            -Somehow there's teams involved but I haven't quite figured that out yet.

Sounds like they are taking golf and trying to turn up the entertainment side of it quite a few notches.

Honestly, I ain't against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
              I have been reading all the news about it but hadn't really looked up what LIV golf was trying to produce besides higher pay days.

Per a little bit of quick research on their website:
              -Shotgun starts so it will be more like a watching a traditional sporting event rather than something that drags on all day.
              -Concerts and parties after the round.
              -Somehow there's teams involved but I haven't quite figured that out yet.

Sounds like they are taking golf and trying to turn up the entertainment side of it quite a few notches.

Honestly, I ain't against it.
              There was an entertaining side of golf? I just thought the televised them to assist with dozing off for an afternoon nap!

Comment

I'm not sure how this is gonna work for the PGA Tour - they originally seemed to think that this LIV tour was nothing to worry about, now they have some serious names jumping ship and some, like DJ, even resigning his membership to the PGA over it.

It's all about the money, I don't really care what any of their other grievances are.

There's an argument to be had about "Saudi money is blood money" or something of that nature, but a lot of folks morals go out the window when they are offered $125M guaranteed just to come over to play golf.

I'm waiting to hear the arguments from folks about all the players joining being "has beens" and that this will be better for the PGA tour in the long run

Comment

I thought I saw DJ was leaving PGA also

Comment

Lots and lots of money!! But they better be careful, its like taking money from the mob who knows what they will ask in return for those paydays. Look what basketball players can't say about China.

Comment

I'm a huge golf fan, and I think that this will change the sport forever. Nothing against the PGA, but this new platform should raise the entertainment value of watching golf, and thus the PGA Tour will likely have to make changes to remain on top. I'm hoping that the LIV doesn't have as many equipment restrictions or ridiculously tough courses. I actually enjoy seeing the tournament leaders shooting low low scores.
                      Not a fan of the money source, but I guess it is what it is.

Comment

I can see a guy hoping to make enough to keep his card going but not sure why guys at the top care to go. I doubt I’ll watch any of it

Comment

I was about to start the same thread. It takes awhile for the players to get their sponsorships and legal implications squared away. I wonder how many other players have lawyers working out the details. I think we see a few more big names emerge. When the PGA tour threatened them not to leave I think a lot of players took that personal. They had a couple press conferences with some of the players the other day that is a good watch. It's on you tube. I like the idea of shotgun starts and 3 round formats.

So far they have
                          DJ, Sergio, Mickelson, Bryson, Ricky Fowler, Louis Oosthuizen , Lee Westwood, Poulter and others. Greg Norman said Tiger was offered nearly a billion to play.

That's not a list to scoff at.

Comment

Follow the money! They seem to have a legit chance of giving the PGA some competition. They have no TV sponsor so it will just be live stream with a few ads maybe? I didn't know that the PGA was a non-profit but they basically have a monopoly on the tour and that model doesn't rub a lot of players the right way.

Rumor is that Phil's deal was somewhere around $200M for 4 years. No missed cuts, 3 days/54 holes instead of 4 days. lots to be excited about if you are a player, we will see how it works out for the everyday fan.

Comment

I’m kind of glad that the PGA has some competition, and the fans have an alternative. Seems to me that the PGA is very antiquated and set in their ways, making money hand over fist because they have been the only game in town for as long as I can remember.

How will we be able to watch the games? Any major television contracts signed yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X