Travel trailer must haves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel trailer must haves?

We are picking up our first camper next week and I want to know, what are some must haves that you have learned over the years? We are buying a 22 Grand Design Transend 2022 special edition. Here is a few pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Buy a good surge protector for the entire RV. Some RV parks don’t have good power, or have wires connected wrong and a good surge protector can save your RV from catastrophe.

2. Get a good water filtration system for the RV. Water quality really varies from place to place. Some places also have a lot of sediment in the water which can cause problems, as well as poor taste. I got a dual cartridge filter setup off of Amazon and then picked up some spare 10 micron and 2 micron filters. It has greatly improved the water quality.

3. Pick up a guilatine shut off valve that goes on the end of the grey/black tank outlet. At some point, your dump valves won’t fully close for one reason or another. By having another valve you can physically see when you close it after you dump your tanks. This way, the next time you remove that cap you won’t get a nasty brown liquid surprise spill.

4. Most RVs have their outside storage boxes keyed the same. So, in most cases, my key will open up your locked storage doors. They aren’t too expensive to replace with aftermarket locks that give you a different keyed lock than what everyone else has.

5. On those same lines, your door lock has 2 locks. The lock for the door handle as well as the dead bolt. Don’t bother locking the door handle lock as all of those are keyed the same. The dead bolt is keyed differently though. If you are concerned about security, replace the handle/lock mechanism with an aftermarket one.

These are some of the basic things that I can think of off the top of my head.

Comment

Surge protector sized for the amps you’re trailer is rated for, extra water pump, battery disconnect if you store it unplugged, and tire pressure monitor system while towing. New tires in a year to get rid of the China bombs.

Comment

For me....id never buy another that didnt have an auto leveling system. Those tear shaped anderson leveling blocks work, but push button to level, raise/lower for hooking up is sure nicer

Comment

I keep a torpedo level in my hatch, wheel chocks (the kind that squeeze between the tiresit makes a difference), water hose (i have 2,1 for water and 1 for jetting the tanks) lol, sewer hose with fittings (i have 4), sewer treatments, blocks for under your tires if you're not on concrete, outdoor rug for under steps, water pressure regulator, fold up wire that holds trash bags like a can, shower rod with caddy to gold your stuff, small tote to hold sewer fittings and water hoses, plastic baskets for inside the cabinets to hold stuff still, just a few I can think of now
          Last edited by twistedmidnite; 02-13-2022, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Nice choice. Is the outside surface aluminum? Looks slick. We have a 2021 Transcend 221RB but shorter. There are many things that you can do. Grand Design dealers are supposed to do a thorough PDI prior to you taking delivery. During your walk thru, go on the roof and look at things including the skylights. A good weight distribution hitch. One of the best in value IMO is the Husky Centerline with the proper weight bars.

Some of these are likely redundant suggestions but...

Good surge protector
            Water pressure gage
            Fresh water hose (carry a good Y adapter)
            Water filters (we use single inline)
            Wheel chocks
            X chocks
            Black tank clean out hose
            Tank drain lines with clear 45 connector and clear drain end conn.
            Blocks (legos) for stabilizers
            Leveler blocks (half moons) Anderson is popular but there are other good brands
            Black tank treatment

We added...
            Camco RV level

Keypad doorlock
            Vent opening covers
            Door window with shade that opens and closes
            Other stuff

Carry also...
            Roof tape - Eternabond
            Roof caulk - Alpha systems for the TPO roof but Dicor is now supposed to be made for TPO
            There is a black tape made to repair the coroplast underbelly cover I carry

There is more that you discover as you go along. I made stabilizer which you may want to consider especially with the length of the rig. https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...7&postcount=93

Good luck and enjoy the new rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
              Nice choice. Is the outside surface aluminum? Looks slick.
              This is the limited edition so the sides are fiberglass. The front and roof are aluminum is what the salesman was saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Boyd1212 View Post
                This is the limited edition so the sides are fiberglass. The front and roof are aluminum is what the salesman was saying.

Not sure they made the limited edition when we bought. Stock was low at the time anyway. Haven't heard of an aluminum roof on a Grand Design.

Comment

Lots of good info. Have a really good tool kit to be prepared for anything.

YouTube has tons of learning videos and just videos of ideas people use.

Comment

A spare key…. Not from experience or anything, but… I know a guy

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                      Lol, one of the first things I done was make extra keys.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post

This is another reason why we only use the dead bolt when locking the RV door. You can’t lock the dead bolt from the inside and then walk outside. This prevents you from accidentally locking the keys inside since you need the key to lock the dead bolt on the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                          Not sure they made the limited edition when we bought. Stock was low at the time anyway. Haven't heard of an aluminum roof on a Grand Design.
                          I could be wrong on the roof. I do know the front is aluminum. I’ve done tons of research on the different brands. I kept coming back to grand design as one of the best. Can’t beat the warranty on them.

Comment

Clothes line

Attachment to blow air thru water lines with a compressor

Rear view camera

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Time to use it, has always been my problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X