Flying with firearms question???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying with firearms question???

Wife and I are getting ready to leave for Alaska on sep 6 and I’ve been trying to get the rules squared away in regards to flying with firearms. Both of us have hard cases. Plan is to put her rifle and ammo in an ammo box in her case and my rifle, pistol, and ammo for both in my case. I do have a couple questions though.

1) can I put the pistol ammo in the original cardboard box it came in inside my check bag or does the ammo need to be locked in a tsa approved box?

2) I was planning on using locks on her case and my case that have the same combo. Is this an issue if it’s not tsa locks? I’ve read where they may cut the locks off for re-inspection and if so, it becomes an issue due to lack of locks on the case. I’d prefer that only myself be able to open the gun case.

Any other suggestions or tips for flying with firearms/ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally don't know the rules and regulations as they pertain to flying with firearms. I would suggest contacting TSA or even the airlines where you will be flying out of and see what they say. best of luck.

Comment

I have not flown with weapons since they got all squirrelly. Have you checked the rules for the airline you are using? They should have them clearly spelled out.

If you are leaving Sept 6 and are just now tryin to figure this out, well...

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
        I have not flown with weapons since they got all squirrelly. Have you checked the rules for the airline you are using? They should have them clearly spelled out.

If you are leaving Sept 6 and are just now tryin to figure this out, well...

I’ve read the rules. Just not 100% sure on the ammo and the lock situation. I’ve read that locks should be only ones that I can open with key or combo and I’ve read to have tsa locks.

Comment

Definitely need to be TSA approved locks, pretty sure handgun ammo needs to be in a checked in bag but it cannot be in the same case as the gun

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
            I’ve read the rules. Just not 100% sure on the ammo and the lock situation. I’ve read that locks should be only ones that I can open with key or combo and I’ve read to have tsa locks.

Do not use TSA locks on your gun case. Pretty sure ammo can be in the same case as the firearm when flying in the US. Some airlines require you to let them know before you check in.

Comment

Some airlines require a lock on your case in every spot that has a place for the lock.

Comment

Originally posted by StickFlinger View Post
                Definitely need to be TSA approved locks, pretty sure handgun ammo needs to be in a checked in bag but it cannot be in the same case as the gun
                This^^^^^. I keep my pistol ammo in the original box in my checked bag. My locked hardcase with my pistol in it is in the same checked bag. I use some smaller cheap harbor freight brass locks on my pistol case and put a TSA lock on my zippers. After the first few times declaring firearms it is a piece of cake. If you have any further questions shoot me a pm with your number and I will call you. I have flown probably 25 times with a firearm.

Comment

Pistol and ammo in carry on. I’m no help never fly

Comment

The ammo cannot be in the same case as the firearm, meaning the gun case. Although I did have an altercation in Utah over the difference between gun case and suitcase. The ammo is preferred to be in the original box but I’ve also seen it in plastic ammo boxes with no issues. I even saw it wrapped in duct tape and they got away with it. I’ve heard different opinions on TSA locks but I had them on my case and there were no issues.
                    Print off both the TSA regulations and the airlines regs. Study them and carry them with you in your carry on so that you can refer to them and possibly use them to argue your points if need be. I have traveled many times with rifles and pistol with no problems except one and that agent was wrong.
                    Now with all that being said, I have flown since the plandemic started so I’m not up to date on everything.

Comment

So ammo can go in gun case with gun. Plan was to put pistol ammo in with check bag. (One less part of the foam case I have to cut. I’d prefer to NOT use tsa locks so prying eyeballs can’t get into my crap and Jack with anything along the way.

Comment

I have flown many times recently with firearms within the USA. Needs to be a approved TSA case...locked. I take large zip ties and zip up the case. No getting into there. Yes, ammo can travel with firearm as long as it is in factory packaging or specific carton/box designed to hold ammo. Safe travels and have fun.

Comment

Ammo can go in the case with the firearm. Put a lock on all available locking points (can be TSA or non TSA).

I put my gun in a soft case inside the hard case. They've never asked me to open the soft case, and then you have the soft case for transport after the commercial flight.

Just be patient at the counter when checking in, every agent has a different 'skill' set when it comes to firearm rules...

Comment

I can't help much but a story my CHL instructor told me comes to mind. Be sure to check state laws anywhere you may have a layover or possibly have to handle your bags. Hopefully you don't have to worry about it but worth checking on or being prepared for the unknown.

The story went something like this. A buddy was flying with a pistol from Texas to another northern state with reciprocating laws, etc so nothing to worry about. However, for some reason they had to make an emergency type stop in Chicago and stay the night. As we all know pistols are a big no no in Chicago. The buddy had the presence of mind do to call Texas Law Shield or whatever it is called and ask for advice. They said whatever you do don't touch the gun case but go to where the baggage comes out and make sure nobody else does. After doing this and watching his gun go around in circles as the only thing on for a bit the cops finally came over. They discussed, the cops took it to TSA office for the night and he got it on the plane the next day from them. The cops said if he had picked up his gun they would have arrested him. I'm not sure how true the story is but it sounds feasible given the state of liberals, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss Buck View Post
                              Pistol and ammo in carry on. I’m no help never fly
                              …will get you arrested and cavity searched by some dude with big fingers.

Comment

Working...
                              X