Off-grid lighting ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off-grid lighting ?

Just got on a lease that has a "bunkhouse" (basically a 20x20 metal building on a slab) with no elec or water and a deer skinning loafing shed. Both were built just for these purposes.

Too far from nearest elec or I'd set a temp pole (which I've done at multiple leases).

No windows in the house, just one door.

What's the best way to rig up lighting? Marine battery w/solar panel and 12V lights? Only need 3 lights. 2 for "cabin", one for skinning shed.
    We might bring in a gen for ac but cooking will be on a wood/charcoal grill. Heat will be propane.

Don't want to run a gen for just lights.

And I've also considered buying those light switch looking lights at Walmart. 4-5 of them prob do the trick, lol.

Next. What's the best gen to power small AC & TV?

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks, D.

For the generator go with a inverter. Honda just rolled out their new eu3200

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
      Just got on a lease that has a "bunkhouse" (basically a 20x20 metal building on a slab) with no elec or water and a deer skinning loafing shed. Both were built just for these purposes.

Too far from nearest elec or I'd set a temp pole (which I've done at multiple leases).

No windows in the house, just one door.

What's the best way to rig up lighting? Marine battery w/solar panel and 12V lights? Only need 3 lights. 2 for "cabin", one for skinning shed.
      We might bring in a gen for ac but cooking will be on a wood/charcoal grill. Heat will be propane.

Don't want to run a gen for just lights.

And I've also considered buying those light switch looking lights at Walmart. 4-5 of them prob do the trick, lol.

Next. What's the best gen to power small AC & TV?

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks, D.

Don’t forget you will need some plugs as well. We have multiple cabins at our lease and run up to 3 on one 5500watt generator. All with plugs, lights and window units. Build a little structure a little bit away to help with noise, or get an inverter generator as mentioned. You will use less gas and it will be quieter. But 3-4x the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Harbor Freight Predator invertor generator for AC/TV/etc.

Get on the ebay and find you some lightly used panels and an invertor to run lights if you don't want to run them off of the genny

Comment

This guy does a good video on different systems that will work for you.

Comment

I’d get some 12v lights, a deep-cycle battery and ac/dc converter, Solar Charger and a inverter genny when you need it to power he lights and ac

Comment

I bought one of those little self-contained rectangular light switch lights from Harbor Freight and was not overly impressed with the light output. It puts out about as much light as my motion sensing plug in bathroom lights, which isn't much. Enough to see where you are going and not trip, but not enough to light up a room, read a book, etc. If it is light's only, a solar panel charging system with a deep cycle marine battery/batteries would work. I would just recommend using LED lights to minimize the amount of power draw. As others have said, a good invertor generator would be a good option, especially for tha AC unit.

Comment

I visited with the neighoring hunters with no electric last year. They had a set up called a Jackery solar generator that had 2 solar panels.It seemed to work good. Had led lights strung up everywhere and a mini fridge plugged into it. And no generator to listen too.
                Last edited by gonehuntin; 08-01-2022, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                  I’d get some 12v lights, a deep-cycle battery and ac/dc converter, Solar Charger and a inverter genny when you need it to power he lights and ac
                  All of this plus have a small battery charger wired in to the battery so its charging any time the generator is running.

Comment

Propane lights since you have it for cooking and heat? Used them in cabins in the mountains, they work fine.

Comment

Some rv lights wired up to a battery is all you need for lighting. My little cabin has 3. A reading light over the head of the bed, a light fixture over the kitchen counter and one over the table. Lights everything up so much I usually only use one. Generator for ac and plug appliances.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                        Some rv lights wired up to a battery is all you need for lighting. My little cabin has 3. A reading light over the head of the bed, a light fixture over the kitchen counter and one over the table. Lights everything up so much I usually only use one. Generator for ac and plug appliances.
                        This is what I's thinking. Plus put a solar charger on the battery.

Now I need a TV/DVD combo so Ethan can watch Old Henry and Young Guns over & over, lol.

Comment

Ecoflow

Comment

Generator like mentioned above and some 10W LED lights off Amazon.

Comment

Good suggestions here so far. We also have some solar LED outdoor lights mounted to the side of our cabin and over the cleaning station. Got them off Amazon for like $35 a pair. You can change settings, but we have them where they are dim at night and if they detect motion they light up. Plenty dang bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X