No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep... but iff'n you skin the head in the field, no treatment necessary.

Comment

If you have time choose the freezer option, those chemicals are strong and potent.

Comment

I haven't posted yet, but I'm drawn for this weekend and am heading down tomorrow. I've read the entire thread for several weeks now, but any last minute tips, especially related to current weather conditions? I'll shoot a nice buck, should the opportunity present itself, but nilgai is my #1 priority. And to not get snakebit.

I've got good boots and gaiters, along with my Lacrosse Grange knee boots in case it's swampy in certain areas. Plus mountain bike and spares to keep it running, in case I want to try to get farther off road. Clothes are permethrin soaked, bringing OFF and my Thermacell, lots of water and Gatorade, deer cart, backpacks, .300 RUM and a .416 Rigby to handle anything I run across (if you see a guy carrying a pink and purple McMillan stocked rifle, that's me; I'll fill you in on the how & why of the stock at the time. It's an interesting story.)

Anything I'm missing? And not to ask for any honey holes, but I've been e-scouting through Google and On-X, and what looks like a great, fairly open area might actually be 8 foot grass or impenetrable Ocelot brush. Is there anyway to tell what kind of vegetation you are looking at from the satellite views? I can tell the trees/brush, but the rest of the "open" areas are stumping me.

Comment

I am headed back to LANWR for the Jan 7-11 archery hunt! Did this hunt 2 years ago with a rifle and it was awesome! Can't wait to go back! Totally have "nilgai on the brain" all the time now! Good luck to those hunting in December!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Log View Post
            I haven't posted yet, but I'm drawn for this weekend and am heading down tomorrow. I've read the entire thread for several weeks now, but any last minute tips, especially related to current weather conditions? I'll shoot a nice buck, should the opportunity present itself, but nilgai is my #1 priority. And to not get snakebit.

I've got good boots and gaiters, along with my Lacrosse Grange knee boots in case it's swampy in certain areas. Plus mountain bike and spares to keep it running, in case I want to try to get farther off road. Clothes are permethrin soaked, bringing OFF and my Thermacell, lots of water and Gatorade, deer cart, backpacks, .300 RUM and a .416 Rigby to handle anything I run across (if you see a guy carrying a pink and purple McMillan stocked rifle, that's me; I'll fill you in on the how & why of the stock at the time. It's an interesting story.)

Anything I'm missing? And not to ask for any honey holes, but I've been e-scouting through Google and On-X, and what looks like a great, fairly open area might actually be 8 foot grass or impenetrable Ocelot brush. Is there anyway to tell what kind of vegetation you are looking at from the satellite views? I can tell the trees/brush, but the rest of the "open" areas are stumping me.
            Unless it is underwater I'd presume the open areas are at least waist high thick grass. It is a situation where you really need to have seen the area live and then see it on google maps to get a reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Log View Post

I’ll be out there tomorrow scouting… hope to bump into you.
              Black Chevy 4x4 1500

Comment

LOG -- The satellite images are not recent enough to show you the current conditions. You seem to be well enough equipped for what you'll find and experience. Good luck and hunt all day -- there's no midday lull for nilgai, they walk all day long, sleep all night.

Comment

I don’t remember requesting fog in my prayers but here we are, day 1 and it’s 70 degrees and foggy.

Comment

So far, decent morning despite a flat waiting on me when I get back to my bike
                    I was in the process of stalking a pretty decent buck when the came back. I can hear him out in the water to my left so I’m waiting for it to lift. Just had a big red boar walk within 15 feet of me. You can tell they aren’t pressured very much.

Comment

*fog came back

Comment

Great start to your hunt. Is this week’s hunt rifle or bow?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
                          So far, decent morning despite a flat waiting on me when I get back to my bike
                          I was in the process of stalking a pretty decent buck when the came back. I can hear him out in the water to my left so I’m waiting for it to lift. Just had a big red boar walk within 15 feet of me. You can tell they aren’t pressured very much.
                          If you are bow hunting, fog is your buddy, you should be able to get closer.

Comment

Rifle hunt, today through Sunday.
                            It’s it foggy and heavy dew.
                            Tons of ducks flying.
                            One coyote spotted…
                            Waiting on something with horns.

Comment

Someone just hit something.

Comment

Yep, heard it too… south of me
                                What unit you in?
                                Last edited by CityLimitSlayr; 12-03-2021, 08:09 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Working...
                                X