Interesting Article for Duck Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Article for Duck Hunters

Interesting (short) read from DU about migration changes. I’ve seen a big difference where I grew up hunting, primarily related to the extreme numbers of wintering geese that we now have.

We still get decent duck numbers, but I think the weather patterns changing will have a major impact in the next several decades.

No doubt it is happening.

Thanks for the article.

Comment

Man that’s sad.

Comment

Good read.

Comment

Some duck species(mallards especially) key in on high calorie/protein grain and only need some water to drink and roost. Article points out the shift in agriculture practices to north combined with warmer winters means they don’t have to migrate as far, so they don’t.

Been duck hunting in North TX for 30 years. Gadwalls, teal, ringers, widgeon still show but the mallards are only found in pockets here and there. IMO

Comment

Yep, yep and yep. It is ever changing, but it is nothing new. Just look at the pictures of Greater Canadas being killed on the coast 50 years ago. In the 2000's the little Canadas were plentiful. Now, you hardly even see one. Same goes for stories of the old timers on the Katy Prairie back in the day piling up mallards, not you don't see one. The only silver lining I see in this is that we are starting to see Blue Wings here all season long.

Of course this doesn't even mention snow geese, but we all know that story.

Comment

Working...
            X