Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Semi-auto 12 Gauge Shotgun - Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Semi-auto 12 Gauge Shotgun - Suggestions?

I have the itch for a new shotgun. It will be used for all the normal stuff. Fun shooting, dove, duck, etc. I'm looking for it to check off a few things and I'm perfectly fine going used. Several I have considered would have to be used in order for me to stay in my house! I've looked at the Browning A5 and Maxus, the Benelli Montefeltro and Super Vinci, and the Beretta A300 and A400.

I want it to cycle lighter loads. I randomly go on clay shoots with work where they provide shells (typically generic 1 oz loads). Some of the guns I was considering appear to not like loads under 1 1/8 oz. I also have a bunch of loose 1 oz loads I want to be able to reliably burn. This is my top priority.

I'd like it to be lighter than my 1187. My 1187 gets heavy. This is a lower priority, but all of the above should accomplish this, some more than others.

Thoughts on gas vs. inertia?

What would your suggestions be?

This package is on the shortlist, it seems like a smoking deal. Has anyone shopped here? https://www.shopdunns.com/products/9...ter_s_package/

Buy the one that fits you. All the ones you listed are reliable.

Comment

I have a 3" Montefeltro and it cycles light loads just fine. I ran some 1oz with no issues. This was a new out of the box gun. I also have a Weatherby Element that runs light loads fine also. Both are well built Inertia guns.

I had an A-400 and it was an awesome gas gun. The Browning Silver is a great gas gun too.

Don't rule out the Remington Versamax or V3. Both are very soft shooters. The V-max can be had with a 3.5" chamber but the V3 is 3". Either gun will cycle light loads and they are made in thw USA.

A V3 Walnut can be had new for around $800. The Versamax Sportsman can be found for around $650 with black synthetic stocks.

Retay makes some very nice Inertia guns that compare to the Benelli Ethos with a price tag at about $1k.

There are a lot of good guns on the market these days.

Comment

Your going to have several say don't go with inertia for light loads. But the only benelli's I have had issue with shooting 1oz loads are the SBE1 and 2. My M2 amd Sport 2 shoot them fine. Ive owned beretta's also and just prefer the feel of the benelli. Handle several and see what feels best to you.

Might take a look the fabarm L4S initial hunter it will shoot 2 3/4 and 3in and will be in the same price range. I shot a L4S sporting a few weeks go and had I not found a good deal on the sport 2 I would have bought a L4S. I was really impressed.

Comment

IMO, you can't go wrong with Beretta. No telling how many rounds I've put through my AL 390 as I used to shoot sporting clays like a madman. It has spacers between the the buttstock and reciever so that you can adjust the cast-off somewhat for better fit and evidently never needs cleaning because I've very seldom had mine apart

Comment

I have a beretta a300 and had no issues with 1 oz loads. I also have a franchi in 20 that cycles 7/8oz loads.

Comment

I have a Franchi Affinity and love it. It cycles anything I load, its light weight and its affordable. I think the company is owned by Benelli and it uses a similar mechanism as a Benelli.

Comment

Beretta 390 $399 "for the win! "
                https://www.gunbroker.com/item/809100514

Comment

You can’t go wrong with the 3 Bs or even a Franchi.

I am a Benelli man though and have abused them more than most would ever dream of with a $1400 gun. That being said I have had zero issues. My favorite being the M2.

My wife had a browning Maxus that she loves. IMO it’s blocky compared to a benelli. Not that it’s any better or worse it’s all about feel and confidence.

You need to go handle them and get as much hands on with them as you can! The you will know which one you want.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I plan to get out to handle the ones that I haven't prior to this. I appreciate the input and the suggestions.

Comment

Beretta A300. Can’t beat them for the money. My boy has right at 11,000 rounds of 1oz thru his and we have not had a single hiccup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Find you a gently used Remmy 1100. You won’t be sorry

Comment

Working...
                        X