Wheat pennies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheat pennies?

Do any of y'all save wheat pennies or just spend them? Ever since I was a kid I have always kept them. I got two yesterday so that's what made me think to ask. I have a change jar but I always check to see what I got before I throw change in there.

I couldn't even tell you why I keep them. Just always have. No particular reason.
    Last edited by okrattler; 04-01-2020, 04:14 PM.

I saved them as a kid. Don’t think they are worth much.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
      I saved them as a kid. Don’t think they are worth much.
      I think some may be worth more than others but honestly I wouldn't know what to look for. I have all kinds of different coins but I wouldn't know if I had one worth a million dollars right in front of me. They all look the same to me.

Comment

Ive always kept them and the old silver dimes

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
          Yea me too.

Comment

What year did they stop making those was it something like 1964? My grandpa told me once but I don't remember.

Comment

I sure dont remember, I've only ever picked up a few of them. Id have to look at the dates on them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

We watched a movie a few weeks ago where a serial killer was always looking for a certain penny. I googled the most valuable pennies just for fun and noticed some wheat pennies on the list. Just happened to look at the change in my cupholder and saw the back side of a wheat penny. Turned it over and it was from 1946. Thinking I may have hit the jackpot I pulled the list back up...not listed. So I typed in 1946 Wheat Penny; mint condition...$.14 cents.

Skunked again.

Comment

I keep them.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                    We watched a movie a few weeks ago where a serial killer was always looking for a certain penny. I googled the most valuable pennies just for fun and noticed some wheat pennies on the list. Just happened to look at the change in my cupholder and saw the back side of a wheat penny. Turned it over and it was from 1946. Thinking I may have hit the jackpot I pulled the list back up...not listed. So I typed in 1946 Wheat Penny; mint condition...$.14 cents.

Skunked again.
                    One from yesterday I got was 1946 too. The other one was from 1955. I think I have one from the 1930's maybe 1937 but I can't really remember. I haven't looked at them in a long time. I also got a Canadian penny or whatever they'd call it a few weeks ago. Which ain't worth nothin of course but I've gotten some Canadian coins over the years.

Also I hope a serial killer don't come to my house looking for my wheat pennies. Pretty sure we would both be pretty frustrated because I can't locate them right off the bat. They're somewhere I just don't know where.
                    Last edited by okrattler; 04-01-2020, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I’ve got one from 1919

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Me too plus old quarter's.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Circulated wheat pennies arent worth much more than face value. Ive got some indian heads and last time i checked the most valuable one was about $1.40

Comment

Common wheat pennies sell for 3-6 cents each in bulk lots, with teens, twenties, S mint, and 1943 steel cents bringing more.

There are some pretty valuable ones even in lower grades...1909-S VDB, 1909-S, 1914-D, 1922, 1931-S.

Wheat cents from 1934 to 1958 (the last year they were minted) are all fairly common except for some errors like the 1955 doubled die which can sell for several thousand $ even in lower grades.

Comment

I save them, would have saved all of the silver quarters, nickels and dimes I had pass through my hands, had I known, they were silver. My wife, the smarter one, has been saving silver quarters for years, I was surprised how many she has. When I saw them, I realized very quickly I have had many over the years and did not know what they were.

I do have one indian head penny, I think it's from around 1893, found it when I was filling up with gas one day. Sure someone was not happy about loosing that one.

Most of my wheat pennys are from about 1955 to 1958. I do have some back to the 1930s, I think I know I have many from the 1940s.

Comment

Working...
                              X