Elk in NM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk in NM

I am wanting to go elk hunting in NM, I have never done it before and dont know much about it, it has always been a dream of mine and i am going to go ahead and try and make it happen. I dont know where to start or what to do, I know there is a draw system for public land but i am not sure if there is any other way. I will be going to public land, so that will be a factor as well...can anyone walk me through it and tell me what steps i have to take and what i need to do? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I can't help much. We hunted the San Pedro Parks Wilderness Area NE of Cuba several years ago. Rained on us for 5 days. We bought our tags over the counter back then. Check out the area, might be a good place to look into.

Comment

Too late to put in for the draw this year. You would have to buy a landowner tag if you want to hunt elk in NM this year.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
        Too late to put in for the draw this year. You would have to buy a landowner tag if you want to hunt elk in NM this year.
        I just read that, dang....

How does a land owner tag work if I’m not a resident who owns land there?

Comment

The draw for next season ended Wednesday.

There are unit wide landowners permits that can be used on public land, they are very expensive for quality units. I highly recommend spending some time on ten NM fish and game website and reading the big game proclamation. Get familiar with the different game management units and seasons.

In a nutshell, non resident tags are very limited. The number of applicants far outweigh the number of tags in quality units. There are no preference points- so you have a slim chance to draw each year. There is a separate pool of tags that are available if you are applying with an outfitter- requires a contract with the outfitter to apply. Odds are usually better for these tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jbonney1986 View Post
            I just read that, dang....

How does a land owner tag work if I’m not a resident who owns land there?
            Start searching the net and you will find em. Just decide what unit you want to hunt and you can likely find a landowner tag. The thing to watch for is if it is a ranch only tag or a unit wide tag.

Comment

To give you an idea...landowner archery tags good unit wide (that you can use anywhere in the unit) where Im at in unit 34 typically go for at least 8k. Thats just for the tag and nothing else. This is one of the top units in the state though

Comment

One day, one day.

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

We applied with an outfitter but I know James Duran of Luna Canyon has tags available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X