Remington 11-87 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking at a newer looking used 11-87 shotgun. Its black synthetic and will shoot 3". Believe it's a 28" barrel 12ga. Anyone have experience with this gun? Does it shoot and operate well? Likes and dislikes. Thanks in advance. I'm gettin it for $400 and it's in great shape.

I've got an older 12ga with a few thousand rounds through it, 99% light target loads. Only thing it has needed is a new gas ring. My newer 20ga does not like 3" max power slugs. Had 2 parts fail trying to shoot them. Talked to a a goose hunter who had the same issue with a newer 12ga and 3" max power goose loads. Overall good guns, I've shot a lot of pheasants and dove with the 12 and a few dove with the 20. I would just shy away from the max loads.

Comment

I have a newer "sportsman field" model, and I like it. Wood stock, 28" barrel and will take 3" shells. It fits me well and I shoot it well, though it is on the heavy side. Once in a while mine won't want to cycle very light loads, but it may just need a new gas ring.

Comment

I have a black synthetic with 28 inch barrel that i shot for 16yrs before getting the itch to buy a new one. Like mentioned above the o-ring is all i have ever had to replace on mine. You can tell if it needs replaced because the gun wont cycle and it takes 30 secs to replace.

It sometimes wont cycle light loads but 1.1/8 loads it will all day.

Comment

I have a premier version with the walnut stock that I really love shooting.

Being gas operated, they get dirty. After 150-200 shots they can start having issues cycling with cheap/light loads. Use fine steel wool to clean the mag tube. Use pipe cleaners to keep the gas ports in the barrel clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They’re good bird guns. Keep em clean and swap the o rings out every once in awhile and you shouldn’t have any problems for a hunting gun.

That being said, there’s a reason you don’t see the 1100/11-87 in 3 gun anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by freestylest22 View Post
              I'm looking at a newer looking used 11-87 shotgun. Its black synthetic and will shoot 3". Believe it's a 28" barrel 12ga. Anyone have experience with this gun? Does it shoot and operate well? Likes and dislikes. Thanks in advance. I'm gettin it for $400 and it's in great shape.
              You asked, so I'll tell you. I HATED mine. Too **** heavy. Finicky in cycling certain shells. O-ring wears too often. Jammed too often with a little gunk in the action. I've always been pretty tough on my duck gun and this gun just didn't live up to my standards. I shelved it for a Benelli M2 and it was like trading a Chevy Caprice for a Corvette. This is my honest assessment. It's the worst autoloader that I've ever owned....and I've owned a bunch.

Comment

I've shot one for a long time...only issue I've had is the gas ring.

Comment

I’ve had a Premier for about 20 years and have never had any issue with it. I shoot whatever I want though it and haven’t had any cycling issues with the gun. I keep it clean and replaced the o-rings a few years back for some preventive maintenance. Good gun, it points very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d listen to Curt...

Comment

I would look for a “in good condition” Remmy 1100 in the same gauge and barrel length. I have one made in the early 80s that is the softest 12ga I’ve ever shot. It’ll rival any of the modern high dollar semi guns on soft recoil.

Comment

My experience with Remington Shotguns is to buy the oldest ones you can find. I have an 1187 Premier Light Contour bought new around ‘94-‘95. It is the newest one I have and it shoots very well as do my older 58’s, 1100’s and Wingmaster 870’s. I wouldn’t touch anything labeled Express or Sportsman made in the last 20-25yrs.

Comment

Am I correct that most 1100s only take 2&3/4 inch shells? That’s why I bought the 11-87.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                            Am I correct that most 1100s only take 2&3/4 inch shells? That’s why I bought the 11-87.
                            Yes, there are some 3" 1100s out there, but you don't see them every day.

I had an 11-87 I bought when I was 15 and it killed more birds than the avian flu. I shot everything with it for a long time before selling it to a gentlemen here. Not sure if Ed is still around, but I'd be glad to know if it's served him well.

Everyone who posted above is correct. O rings wear out every 500-700 rounds, they are heavy, and they hate dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                              You asked, so I'll tell you. I HATED mine. Too **** heavy. Finicky in cycling certain shells. O-ring wears too often. Jammed too often with a little gunk in the action. I've always been pretty tough on my duck gun and this gun just didn't live up to my standards. I shelved it for a Benelli M2 and it was like trading a Chevy Caprice for a Corvette. This is my honest assessment. It's the worst autoloader that I've ever owned....and I've owned a bunch.
                              Curt is dead on.... except it being ****ing heavy....it’s worse than that

Comment

Working...
                              X