Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-30-2021, 10:01 AM   #1
elhefe
Ten Point

Default Discount Tire customer service

I buy all my tires at Discount Tire in Conroe on the north loop. The front caster wheel on my zero turn kept going low so I needed to replace the stem. Took the tire off and was going to just buy a new stem. Not a big deal and then drove past Discount on my way to work. Whipped in there and they just replaced the stem at no charge. Took about 3 minutes.

I know that is not a big deal but I thought it was nice of them so I'd give them a shout out.
elhefe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:02 AM   #2
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I’ve always had great service at DT.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:05 AM   #3
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

Only fools don't do business with DT.....or that's what I've been told ymmv
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:05 AM   #4
McClain
Ten Point

I too have only had good service at Discount Tire.
McClain is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:08 AM   #5
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Agreed.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:09 AM   #6
riverbowman
Ten Point

I've had one bad experience in 30 years of buying all my tires there. They made it right as soon as they realized I wasn't happy.
riverbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Man, the one here in Porter is so busy you're lucky if you can get in the parking lot.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:13 AM   #8
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

I’ve only had one bad experience with DT and that manager no longer works for them.

They are a good company to do business with.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #9
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Bought a new a jeep in early 2020, drove it across the street to DT and put BFG a/t’s on it the day I bought it. Pandemic hit and I never rotated the tires but did manage to have to plug both rear tires at different times. Finally took it in to rotate and they replaced both tires for free, all I did was by the new certificates. Had over 40k miles on them and they were holding air fine with the plugs. I’m a fan.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #10
PoppinPiggies
Six Point

Hunt In: Clay County

I don't go anywhere but Discount Tire if I have the choice! Great Service (thats why they're busy) and great prices!
PoppinPiggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:27 AM   #11
CaptainDave
Ten Point

I'm sure the level of service can differ by location, but overall, I've had great experiences. One time, my wife ran over a screw and they plugged the tire for no charge, just because I was in the computer as a customer. It was a newer vehicle, so the tire wasn't even purchased from them. Sure, it wasn't a lot of money, but still a great gesture that assured me to keep doing business with them.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:30 AM   #12
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

I've been a huge DT fan for a long time, last couple years they seem to have changed tunes though. Actually bought a pair of new trailer tires from another place for the first time since I can remember, it felt weird...
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #13
shiner78
Ten Point

Hunt In: gonzales, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I too have only had good service at Discount Tire.
This.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
shiner78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:39 AM   #14
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Johnson Cty

Bought new tires for my Honda Rancher, took all four old ones and the new one's to Discount Tire where I buy all of my tires. He said they would have them ready that afternoon. Got a text they were ready it cost me $20.00. Pretty darn cheap if you ask me. at $5.00 a tire.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:49 AM   #15
coach2
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Every time I go to discount tire everything is great. When the wife goes I can’t say everything is great!
coach2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #16
kae006
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, Wyoming

I've read some DT horror stories but they've always gone way above and beyond any time I've gone there - and that goes for probably a dozen locations over several states. Had to stop in there once on a long road trip when moving and they were incredible about getting us back on the road quickly and at minimal expense.
kae006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:54 AM   #17
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

They damaged my wife’s Lexus and tried to hide it. Cost them $1100
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 01:23 PM   #18
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Only fools don't do business with DT.....or that's what I've been told ymmv
I'm a fool.

Couple of bad experiences with them and I'm done. Have a local shop that does me right.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:07 PM   #19
buffalorider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pineywoods

I only use DT. Our local store is awesome. They know my wife and I by name and treat us exactly as you want to be treated as a customer.

The only issue Iíve had with DT was at another store in Houston area that wouldnít put a larger size tire on my truck than what came stock. I went to my local store and they were happy to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buffalorider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:15 PM   #20
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

I use them.................
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:23 PM   #21
Native Texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Only bad experience I ever had there was when a kid twisted a fake plastic lug nut off my hub cap with an impact wrench. Manager said he would order me a new one, but every time I stopped back by he said he couldn't find the same one. I finally just got one myself.

I still buy my tires there, and they have made up for that poor service many times over.
Native Texan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:51 PM   #22
Rubberdown
Ten Point

I buy everything from them. Ain’t the cheapest but they take care of you. Heck they just told my wife she didn’t need new tires went I told her to just buy some new ones when she got a flat. That’s good customer service if I ever heard of it.
Rubberdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 05:21 PM   #23
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Some don't seem to understand different stores have different service ours seems to be good.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 05:38 PM   #24
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County and Beyond

Won't buy from anyone else. The comment about different stores is spot on, but the culprit is usually the manager and how he conveys customer service to his staff. Our local DT has never failed me over many years. The GM and I are shooting friends and yeah, I name drop every time I go in. The "ONLY" thing I don't like is if you have a tire 10+ years old they can't even check the air on it? It's a company policy due to yep, the lawyers and potential liability. When the GM explained their company policy over lunch one day, it answered my questions since the Son's and I have several trailers with older tires. Anyway, my go to store for tires.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 06:07 PM   #25
DedDucks
Eight Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt Co.

After my recent issues at discount tire I told them I would never spend another dollar with them and I would tell everyone I know I would encourage them not to do the same.

Short story long, they broke a TPMS sensor while swapping a set of tires. No big deal. They put one of their sensors in there and said it would pair up when I drive on it. Well I drive an hour and a half home and it still didnít sync to truck. I take it to local discount and they say they got it to set to truck. Well it did but my light would go on and off about every mile. Then they agree to pay for an OEM sensor so I go to dealer and pick one up and take it back over there. There were two OEM sensors and the dealer gave me the one I got based off vin. When I get there they tell me itís wrong after making an appt and spending over an hour waiting. I go back to dealer 1.5 hr away and swap it out for the other type and make another appt to get it out in. Spend another hr and they break that one putting it in. At this point Iím getting hot. I made them take out another sensor so I could get a part number off and it was the original part number the dealer gave me that they said wouldnít work the first time. They agree to pay for another OEM and that I can get it done at a local Discount Tire but only this shop can reimburse me. I take it to local shop and they installed a broken sensor that was sitting in my cup holder not the one I gave them. I go back up there and they finally get the right one put it. After 6 trips and wasting countless hours of my time it got fixed.

Then I decided to trade a guy in dfw my set of wheels for his just last week. Iím near Longview so and he was in Ft. Worth so the only place that made sense to meet was Discount Tire in Terrell. I tell them to watch my sensors and be careful. Well I go to leave and the guy hands me my keys and thereís a broken sensor in the bag. He never said a word until I asked about it. He says they put one of theirs in it but itís good to go. I laughed and told him heíd hear from me again. Well I drove an hour before the service TPMS light came on. Give them a call and told him Iím not wasting anymore of their time or mine but they need to pay for an OEM sensor. He agrees but said it canít be an issue with their sensor. They do it all the time. So I did get it fixed a few days later and a buddy stopped by to get my reimbursement for sensor but all in all it took me 9 trips to get 2 sets of tires installed. They did ultimately make it right by doing what I asked but each visit I had to wait over an hour even with appointments. Iíll take my business and chances elsewhere. They are incompetent. RANT OVER.

DedDucks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 06:16 PM   #26
Box-R
Four Point

Really like the Georgetown Discount Tire.
Always great service.
I've also been the recipient of free services from them: they put a tire on my shredder wheel knowing it was an old tire and for a shredder. The manager would not let me pay.
Box-R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 06:25 PM   #27
buffalorider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pineywoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedDucks View Post
After my recent issues at discount tire I told them I would never spend another dollar with them and I would tell everyone I know I would encourage them not to do the same.

Short story long, they broke a TPMS sensor while swapping a set of tires. No big deal. They put one of their sensors in there and said it would pair up when I drive on it. Well I drive an hour and a half home and it still didnít sync to truck. I take it to local discount and they say they got it to set to truck. Well it did but my light would go on and off about every mile. Then they agree to pay for an OEM sensor so I go to dealer and pick one up and take it back over there. There were two OEM sensors and the dealer gave me the one I got based off vin. When I get there they tell me itís wrong after making an appt and spending over an hour waiting. I go back to dealer 1.5 hr away and swap it out for the other type and make another appt to get it out in. Spend another hr and they break that one putting it in. At this point Iím getting hot. I made them take out another sensor so I could get a part number off and it was the original part number the dealer gave me that they said wouldnít work the first time. They agree to pay for another OEM and that I can get it done at a local Discount Tire but only this shop can reimburse me. I take it to local shop and they installed a broken sensor that was sitting in my cup holder not the one I gave them. I go back up there and they finally get the right one put it. After 6 trips and wasting countless hours of my time it got fixed.

Then I decided to trade a guy in dfw my set of wheels for his just last week. Iím near Longview so and he was in Ft. Worth so the only place that made sense to meet was Discount Tire in Terrell. I tell them to watch my sensors and be careful. Well I go to leave and the guy hands me my keys and thereís a broken sensor in the bag. He never said a word until I asked about it. He says they put one of theirs in it but itís good to go. I laughed and told him heíd hear from me again. Well I drove an hour before the service TPMS light came on. Give them a call and told him Iím not wasting anymore of their time or mine but they need to pay for an OEM sensor. He agrees but said it canít be an issue with their sensor. They do it all the time. So I did get it fixed a few days later and a buddy stopped by to get my reimbursement for sensor but all in all it took me 9 trips to get 2 sets of tires installed. They did ultimately make it right by doing what I asked but each visit I had to wait over an hour even with appointments. Iíll take my business and chances elsewhere. They are incompetent. RANT OVER.

That really sucks, and is strange. Half of my sensors are from DT and they synced up fine with my Duramax.

buffalorider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 06:33 PM   #28
sandbill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montague County

I think very highly of Discount Tire.
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 06:40 PM   #29
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

Quote:

Strange....what kind of vehicle?
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 06:54 PM   #30
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

I sure wish a tire rotation did not take an hour and a half minimum.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 07:06 PM   #31
DedDucks
Eight Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Strange....what kind of vehicle?

2021 Tundra. The discount that is local and fixed it ultimately both times said Toyotaís and Lexusís can be tricky so they are careful with them. One of the other locations said the only issues they see are dodge trucks.

DedDucks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 07:15 PM   #32
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbowman View Post
I've had one bad experience in 30 years of buying all my tires there. They made it right as soon as they realized I wasn't happy.
Are you the old lady from the commercial?
999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 07:16 PM   #33
stickfigure
Ten Point

Hunt In: D'Hanis

I just recently had an excellent experience with a Discount Tire in Victoria. They repaired a problem with my new wheels and tires that were bought and installed somewhere else. My new wheels had two valve stem locations. One on the inside of the rim, and one on the outside of the rim. Unfortunately, the valve stem inside the rim barely touched my brake caliper (unbeknownst to me), so on a trip out of town it cracked and my tire immediately went flat in the middle of nowhere.
I was 30 minutes from Victoria, so I went there on the spare and looked for the closest Discount Tire. They had to break the tire down move the TPMS to the other valve stem and put in a new valve stem in upside down to resolve the problem. They did all of that for no charge and wished me well. I should have went there originally. I suspect they would have caught the problem and I would not have had to spend time broke down on the side of the road.
stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 07:18 PM   #34
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

I learned something new about their employment practices. They love promoting from within. They have several people who now work 6 figure jobs and started out busting tires. Apparently if you are in it for the long haul. They are as well.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 09:12 PM   #35
Rubberdown
Ten Point

Quote:
2021 Tundra. The discount that is local and fixed it ultimately both times said Toyotaís and Lexusís can be tricky so they are careful with them. One of the other locations said the only issues they see are dodge trucks.

Thatís weird. I had a battery go dead in one of mine on my 2014 tundra and they swapped it in 30 minutes with one of theirs and never had a problem with it.
Rubberdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 10:53 PM   #36
spread5150
Ten Point

Hunt In: West Texas, East Texas, Central Texas, South Texas

I have an old Toyota pickup. Finally found a factory rim and spare tire on two separate deals. It needed a spare. Pulled into the on Naco in San Antonio. They dropped the old spare. Swapped it and had me on my way. Didn’t buy either there... they said “ don’t worry about it have a good one “. Balanced it also. Always been great in my book.
spread5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 11:05 PM   #37
Smokeater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
I sure wish a tire rotation did not take an hour and a half minimum.
Ha! That's why I go straight to my local guy. Shopping around and waiting forever is not my thang. Also nice to know if I'm at work and something happens with the wife or kids they will take care of it.
Smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 11:28 PM   #38
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
I'm a fool.

Couple of bad experiences with them and I'm done. Have a local shop that does me right.
Here too.
And I'll give my go to shop a shout out, Cowset tire in north Fort Worth.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 11:36 PM   #39
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfigure View Post
I just recently had an excellent experience with a Discount Tire in Victoria. They repaired a problem with my new wheels and tires that were bought and installed somewhere else. My new wheels had two valve stem locations. One on the inside of the rim, and one on the outside of the rim. Unfortunately, the valve stem inside the rim barely touched my brake caliper (unbeknownst to me), so on a trip out of town it cracked and my tire immediately went flat in the middle of nowhere.
I was 30 minutes from Victoria, so I went there on the spare and looked for the closest Discount Tire. They had to break the tire down move the TPMS to the other valve stem and put in a new valve stem in upside down to resolve the problem. They did all of that for no charge and wished me well. I should have went there originally. I suspect they would have caught the problem and I would not have had to spend time broke down on the side of the road.
Thatís the store I trade with.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2021, 02:38 AM   #40
Smithwr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon TX

I love DT great service and I use their 6 months 0% credit card for all my vehicle and trailer tires
Smithwr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2021, 05:54 AM   #41
JonW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tennessee, Ohio, Texas

I generally have great experiences with Discount, but it varies from store to store. Unfortunately the wait times at the store I normally use are terrible. I donít rotate my tires as often as I should because I simply donít have half a day to commit to it.

I ran over a screw a couple of weeks ago and pulled into a Discount with ONE car in the whole shop. I watched up to four guys at a time socialize in the AC while it took just under two hours to fix the flat. Go figure.

I bought my most recent set of tires from Tirelink. THAT is customer service! Besides, I like supporting smaller family owned businesses. Rotation/balance is fast. Iím buying from them from now on.

JonW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2021, 06:15 AM   #42
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

bad experiences with DT a long time ago, haven't been back. Maybe they've changed somewhat.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2021, 06:49 AM   #43
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Been a fan of them ..Great products, knowledgeable , good prices, they the BUCKies of tire business....Line is long but worth wait!!!!!!
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2021, 07:05 AM   #44
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora

i am always able to find the same tire cheaper elsewhere. I know they price match, but i prefer doing business w places that give me their best price from the start, rather than after they are called out.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2021, 07:29 AM   #45
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Always great service.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2021, 07:54 AM   #46
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

They broke some of the studs on my Nieces car, at a Austin area DT. She drove down to Houston, and it barely made it to my house before the wheel fell off. They sent out a wrecker, and took it to a local shop to have the wheel studs replaced, and put a new rim on it. They also put my niece up in a hotel for the night. They made it right, and were very apologetic for her inconvenience. When we went to pick it up, the guy at the local shop told me that, DT keeps them in a lot of business.

They also cant figure out how to balance a set of F250 tire, to save their life. I'll buy a set of tires, and come out to get in my truck, and they'll have 3 pounds of weights stack on one side of the tire. I make them bust the tire off and turn it 180deg. Most of the time this fixes it but, sometimes I make them give me a different tire that will balance out. Then the dang wheel weights fly off at about 40 mph anyway. I take a picture of all the weights for proof before I start to drive because I've had such a problem in the past.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2021, 09:10 AM   #47
Boyd1212
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack County, San Saba, Washington State

I am also a fan. I drive a company truck too and from work and had a screw in one of the tires. I showed up to my local discount tire and told them my issue. They fixed the issue and I went up to the counter to pay and the guy said it was a free service since I’m a customer. I tried to explain to him that this was a company truck and not my personal. He said when it came time to put tires on the truck, to come see him. I don’t think I will buy tires from anyone else. Went last week and put tires on my wife’s suv from the same guy.
Boyd1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2021, 09:32 AM   #48
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I quit using them when they stopped having the best price.

I now use a locally owned shop that's cheaper and has the same customer service

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #49
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
They broke some of the studs on my Nieces car, at a Austin area DT. She drove down to Houston, and it barely made it to my house before the wheel fell off. They sent out a wrecker, and took it to a local shop to have the wheel studs replaced, and put a new rim on it. They also put my niece up in a hotel for the night. They made it right, and were very apologetic for her inconvenience. When we went to pick it up, the guy at the local shop told me that, DT keeps them in a lot of business.

They also cant figure out how to balance a set of F250 tire, to save their life. I'll buy a set of tires, and come out to get in my truck, and they'll have 3 pounds of weights stack on one side of the tire. I make them bust the tire off and turn it 180deg. Most of the time this fixes it but, sometimes I make them give me a different tire that will balance out. Then the dang wheel weights fly off at about 40 mph anyway. I take a picture of all the weights for proof before I start to drive because I've had such a problem in the past.
Make them install the stick on wheel weights. Those hammer on ones damage the lip and will corrode eventually (If you are like me, and keep the truck til the wheels fall off).
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #50
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Discount refused to work on my last 3 trucks. So I took about $15,000 a year worth of tires to a local, independent shop and get better service there.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top