Looking for a good recurve, need recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a good recurve, need recommendations

Been bowhunting for quite some time but have not shot a Trad. Bow, but it has piqued my interest.

Looking to get into a Good quality recurve bow for target shooting/messing around in the backyard and to hunt with. To be perfectly honest this probably will never be my main archery hunting tool, but would like to shoot deer/pigs with it at my home place to keep things interesting.

I’m a short guy with a 26.5” draw on my compound, currently pulling 80 lbs. what would be a good draw look into

Also, Any good recommendations on manufacturers?

I have an uncle that makes traditional bows. He uses all hand tools for the entire process. PM me if you would like I can give you his contact info.

Comment

Oh I should mention I’m left handed!

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
        Oh I should mention I’m left handed!

Yeah he does those too even if you dont shoot the "right" way lol.

Comment

35 to 40lbs. I would get an inexpensive bow like a Samick Sage or Black Hunter to learn on. A light draw weight with a very manageable bow allows you to properly develop the form and release you'll need. Plus those bows you can inexpensively step up in limb weight as you progress. Then the next new guy will give you most of your money back as you move up in quality or step out if you decide it isn't for you.
          Several deer are killed every season with those level of bows and they will shoot as well as most of us are capable of.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Check my ad in the classifies. It has both recurve and Longbow limbs.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              35 to 40lbs. I would get an inexpensive bow like a Samick Sage or Black Hunter to learn on. A light draw weight with a very manageable bow allows you to properly develop the form and release you'll need. Plus those bows you can inexpensively step up in limb weight as you progress. Then the next new guy will give you most of your money back as you move up in quality or step out if you decide it isn't for you.
              Several deer are killed every season with those level of bows and they will shoot as well as most of us are capable of.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

X2

I helped a buddy get into Trad and we got him a Sage. That bow is quick, very quiet when tuned, and already got one animal under its belt. I have been surprised and impressed with what they can produce at that price point. I cannot think of a comparable compound example but to try and put it in perspective, the the Sage shoots like a $750-800 level compound for the $300 price point compounds.
              If I was starting out, I’d buy one of those and if I had a little extra cash, I’d buy a heavier set of limbs to hunt with and practice with the lighter set of limbs. Maybe 45 pound limbs to practice and 50 or 55 pound limbs to hunt. You’re gonna enjoy the journey whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by andreww5001 View Post
                X2

I helped a buddy get into Trad and we got him a Sage. That bow is quick, very quiet when tuned, and already got one animal under its belt. I have been surprised and impressed with what they can produce at that price point. I cannot think of a comparable compound example but to try and put it in perspective, the the Sage shoots like a $750-800 level compound for the $300 price point compounds.
                If I was starting out, I’d buy one of those and if I had a little extra cash, I’d buy a heavier set of limbs to hunt with and practice with the lighter set of limbs. Maybe 45 pound limbs to practice and 50 or 55 pound limbs to hunt. You’re gonna enjoy the journey whatever you decide to do.

X3, started this last time with a 45# Sage and took a few deer with it. You can not beat it for the price and it actually shoots quite well and is well made. I’m actually buying a second one 30# lefty for the wife. Plus I can use my riser and her limbs and my teenage son can get into it. Gary and Andrew nailed it.

Comment

I might as well jump on the Sage bandwagon. I keep four of them around here. One is set up for bow fishing, another for play, a lefty for my grandson, and another lefty for me to practice left handed shooting. I've customized three of the risers to get rid of the can't wait to get them out of the factory and sold look. Put a good hard string on them for best performance. I build my own strings and used 452X material. 452X is compound bow string material. The great thing about the Sages is that there are so many in circulation that you can trade limbs or even buy a little used set for less than $50. If you decide that you like traditional bows, you can buy a nicer bow later. One of the best things about the Sage is if you want to get rid of it, you won't be out much cash, if any at all.

Comment

X4 I started with a sage a year ago. Good shooters

Comment

Sounds like I need to look at sage!

Any other tips?

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                        Sounds like I need to look at sage!

Any other tips?

Like mentioned before, an investment in a little better string with some silencers will go a long way. You can even make some homemade puff ball silencers out of yarn. Tons of vids on YouTube.

Comment

I shoot a sage by choice. It's a very good versatile bow. Its really not what everyone likes to call a starter bow either. It shoots better than just about every bow I've shot for the last 50 years! Extra limbs are inexpensive. So with your short draw I'd recommend some 40# limbs to start. You'll be pulling in the low 30# range. After you get the hang of it, limbs can be had up to 60#

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X