Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #1
CityLimtRedneck
Spike

Hunt In: Williamson, Schleicher, DCNF
Default Solo skiff

Thinking about selling my pedal drive kayak and getting a solo skiff. I fish mostly fresh water lakes and rivers but also fish the bay. What do y'all know about the SOLO Skiff, and do you think it would be a good fit?
CityLimtRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2021, 12:36 PM   #2
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

I looked at them a while back. I went with a Jon boat, they're wider and more stable. It was a personnel preference, I'm not the most stable guy moving around on a narrow skiff. There's a ton of You tube videos on them and they do well in protected waters. I think you can rent them somewhere I believe. Good luck.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2021, 12:39 PM   #3
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

A buddy at work bought one. He got caught in a pretty decent little storm in the bay, and that was all it took for him to get rid of it. It lets you get farther away than a kayak, and that leaves you open to more issues. For the cost of them, I’d get an aluminum boat.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
CityLimtRedneck
Spike

Thanks for the replies! I guess what attracts me to it over an aluminum boat is that you can still paddle it. I can just pop off the outboard and still use it in bodies of water that don't allow gas engines. My Dad has a 14' aluminum jon boat, and i would never want to try and paddle that bad boy very far . The skiff just seems like it keeps a lot of the capabilities that I like with my kayak, but adds the option to get around faster and further if desired. I have heard getting caught in a storm can be rough though, but same goes for my kayak lol
Old 07-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #5
CityLimtRedneck
Spike

Im just wondering if I sell my kayak to get a skiff, am I gonna miss my kayak and regret it down the road? Anybody already made the transition, if so what is your opinion?
Old 07-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #6
Crabtrap
Four Point

I think if all you do is fish backwater and marshes than its a great tool. If not then id be leaning towards staying with the kayak. The solo skiff doesn't paddle great and you wont really ever paddle it anyways if you have a motor. And if you have the troubles of a motor you wont have anymore issues with a tiller on a bit larger skiff or aluminum boat. I think the cool factor is the reason these took off originally but maybe look at a hog island skiff or something comparable be a bit safer and the same maintenance.
Crabtrap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2021, 02:52 PM   #7
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

You can put oars on a Jon boat and make good speed with it. I fished a lot of ponds in a Jon boat with oars. All boats have goods and bads. Different platforms give you more options. I have two boats, two kayaks and a Bass Raider. Get as many as you can, none are perfect for everything.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
MasterOfNothing
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County, Jim Wells County

Took mine out today. I actually just got back 15min ago.

I love mine. I paid the amount of a high-end kayak, but I can go further and faster than a kayak, and I can go places $40,0000 boats cant.
Attached Images

MasterOfNothing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #9
CityLimtRedneck
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfNothing View Post

I love mine. I paid the amount of a high-end kayak, but I can go further and faster than a kayak, and I can go places $40,0000 boats cant.
That's a nice looking rig, what would you say are the pros and cons of the boat? How would it do shooting across a lake and fishing creeks/coves in freshwater?
Old 07-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #10
WildMatt84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lease less

I had one and loved it for awhile, but eventually got back into a Hobie. The motor and trolling motor combo on mine was very nice and I could get much further and much faster than I could anywhere on my kayak, and I have to say I throughly enjoyed watching bigger boats try to follow any line I took. The issues I ran into were that 1 that thing is a massive windsail and isn't light. The boat alone weighs in at 150lbs. Throw in an almost 50lbs motor a 15 lbs trolling motor and battery combo and another 30-40 pounds of gear and you're capped. Anything more than a 10 mph wind and I was doing more maneuvering than I was fishing. 2 I definitely underestimated how unstable the thing was. I have been fishing from kayaks for quite some time and consider myself by no means an expected at standing in them but I am pretty well versed. With the solo I just never felt comfortable man
WildMatt84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2021, 03:34 PM   #11
MasterOfNothing
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLimtRedneck View Post
That's a nice looking rig, what would you say are the pros and cons of the boat? How would it do shooting across a lake and fishing creeks/coves in freshwater?
Thanks...I fish alone so it works great for me. I do about 15mph. Sometimes I wish it was faster though. It's pretty stable also.

I've only done saltwater water fishing, but it should do fine shooting across lakes and creeks. It paddles fine when your stalking up on fish.

I like that I have more room than a kayak, but like mentioned before it can get a little crowded if you have a lot of gear. It doesn't bother me though.

Price was right for me as well. I paid $4200 after TTL. Mine came with the boat, motor, trailer, micro power pole, paddle, and transducer (no fish finder).

I'm starting up my YouTube channel so hopefully I'll get some videos out soon of me out on the water.

Kevin hit the nail on the head. No boat is perfect for everything. I would say think about what works best for you.

How this helps. Good luck to you.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #12
MasterOfNothing
Ten Point

Here's another pic
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #13
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

What kayak do you have in case you want to sell it? I’m looking for another kayak
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #14
tazhunter0
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can!!!

Quote:
Thanks...I fish alone so it works great for me. I do about 15mph. Sometimes I wish it was faster though. It's pretty stable also.

I've only done saltwater water fishing, but it should do fine shooting across lakes and creeks. It paddles fine when your stalking up on fish.

I like that I have more room than a kayak, but like mentioned before it can get a little crowded if you have a lot of gear. It doesn't bother me though.

Price was right for me as well. I paid $4200 after TTL. Mine came with the boat, motor, trailer, micro power pole, paddle, and transducer (no fish finder).

I'm starting up my YouTube channel so hopefully I'll get some videos out soon of me out on the water.

Kevin hit the nail on the head. No boat is perfect for everything. I would say think about what works best for you.

How this helps. Good luck to you.

Where are you located? I have been looking at getting one. ( Solo Skiff ). Really want to see one in person on the water. I have already watched a bunch of videos of them. Being a big guy ( 511 340# ), Im not sure on it or a decent kayak.
tazhunter0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2021, 07:58 PM   #15
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:

That's pretty snazzy!
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2021, 08:19 PM   #16
MasterOfNothing
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazhunter0 View Post
Where are you located? I have been looking at getting one. ( Solo Skiff ). Really want to see one in person on the water. I have already watched a bunch of videos of them. Being a big guy ( 511 340# ), Im not sure on it or a decent kayak.
I'm located in deep south Texas. The city of San Benito. Your welcome to come take a look at it or take it out for yourself if you like.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:09 PM   #17
CityLimtRedneck
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
What kayak do you have in case you want to sell it? Im looking for another kayak
I have a Oldtown Preadator PDL. Have it rigged with a helix 7, two anchor trollies, bow lights, boonedox landing gear, 4 rod holders mounted that can rotate and tilt. Maybe a thing or two im missing haha. Its the grayish color from Old town.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:07 AM   #18
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLimtRedneck View Post
I have a Oldtown Preadator PDL. Have it rigged with a helix 7, two anchor trollies, bow lights, boonedox landing gear, 4 rod holders mounted that can rotate and tilt. Maybe a thing or two im missing haha. Its the grayish color from Old town.
I would be interested in purchasing that kayak if you decide to sell for sure. I like the predator kayaks a lot. Had one for a couple years before going to a Hobie PA-12
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #19
CityLimtRedneck
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
I would be interested in purchasing that kayak if you decide to sell for sure. I like the predator kayaks a lot. Had one for a couple years before going to a Hobie PA-12
Sweet man, I will let you know if I end up selling it.