Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #1
Stites_Bites
Four Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo/Starr County
Default Bad work environment

Curious to hear about othersí previous work experiences in a somewhat ďtoxicĒ environment.

I guess I was young and naive and thought that a co worker of 2 years was a friend and someone I could confide in. Turns out they would take buddy-to-buddy complaints and notify supervisors that I ďhad a bad work ethic.Ē

This same individual would start conversations with me by voicing the exact same complaints and I never once thought to drag them through the mud. Is this something even worth trying to fix or is it time to just move on and find work elsewhere?

Maybe this is common amongst people trying to leverage their way up the chainÖ who knows. It just feels like a slap in the face and serves as a reality check I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stites_Bites is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 08:32 AM   #2
chwoodall
Four Point

He's a bootlicker/suck***..

Parking lot??

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
chwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 08:33 AM   #3
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Been there. Had a coworker who complained regularly during lunch and breaks. I voiced a similar complaint, my mistake was that I did it in an email, and she forwarded it on.

Lesson learned. Moved on and advanced my career elsewhere.
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #4
Stites_Bites
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chwoodall View Post
He's a bootlicker/suck***..

Parking lot??

And to top it off he doesnít even work with the company full-time.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #5
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Have a meeting with him in the parking lot.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #6
Lslite
Eight Point

Get rid of one backstabber and another will be along shortly to take his place.
Lslite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #7
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lslite View Post
Get rid of one backstabber and two more will be along shortly to take his place.
fify. My advice: stop talking, put in the work, and go home. Providing you like the job. Jackasses anywhere you go. I know a guy who quit a very good job because of someone else. Turns out that "someone else" was fired within 6 months.
Graysonhogs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 08:46 AM   #8
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
fify. My advice: stop talking, put in the work, and go home. Providing you like the job. Jackasses anywhere you go. I know a guy who quit a very good job because of someone else. Turns out that "someone else" was fired within 6 months.
^^^ Ditto.

Backstabbers are everywhere and they will use the knife in your back to climb the ladder.

If you have a complaint, think about it. If it is worthy to talk face to face with your boss or your boss's boss, then talk only to them about it. If it is not, then keep your mouth shut.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 08:48 AM   #9
chwoodall
Four Point

Also depends on what field of work you're involved in I'd think.

chwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:05 AM   #10
kcnatural
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills CO.

I think it is human nature to ***** about work some, no matter what you do for a living.
I had the same experience long ago with a coworker. Luckily the boss was a friend and confronted me about it and we worked it out.

There are things you need to get off your chest. The best way I have found to do this is talking to my wife about it.
kcnatural is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:06 AM   #11
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Loose lips sink ships brother.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:12 AM   #12
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County (2015-2021) Van Zandt County since 2017

It sucks and I'm sorry it happened

It's common, even amongst the self employed . That's one reason I'm not self employed

I currently work with a couple. I am even friends with them. I limit our shop talk to things fixing things or you ain't gonna believe what this driver did.

When we go to God by prayer, the devil knows we go to fetch strength against him, and therefore he opposeth us all he can.

R. Sibbes
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:19 AM   #13
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

The management rep he reports to knows the type of person he/she that is ratting out people. Rise up above him and keep the negative comments to yourself until you “know” who you are dealing with. But yes it sucks most of us have probably encountered people like this in our working careers.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:25 AM   #14
BlackoutRam2500
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnatural View Post
There are things you need to get off your chest. The best way I have found to do this is talking to my wife about it.
^^^ this right here.

Hardest lesson for me to learn in life was everyone isn't my friend and people don't always want the best for me. Seems stupid when I say it outloud but nothing could be closer to the truth.

My advice is keep you head down, your mouth shut, and start circulating your resume.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
BlackoutRam2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:27 AM   #15
kcmarullo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer !
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #16
BigCountry101
Four Point

One pain in the butt co-worker doesn't necessarily equate to a "toxic" work environment. Is there more going on or is it just this guy?

If possible but some distance between you and this guy. Not sure what you could do to "fix" the situation but I wouldn't let one bad apple push me out of my job.
BigCountry101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #17
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Have a chat with your supervisor and let them know that you were having a bad day and your frustrations bubbled over.

If they are worth their salt, they've been there and know how it is. Let them know that from this point on, anything worth the time will be discussed with them and only with them, and everything else will be shrugged off your shoulders and you will keep your nose to the grind and give them everything you've got.

If they aren't worth their salt and have an issue still, give em all you've got while seeking greener pastures elsewhere, because it probably isn't a place you want to be at long term
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #18
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Poeple dont know how to keep things to themselves anymore that were said in confidence so I try to keep my mouth shut as much as possible. Worst thing about all of it when what you say gets passed around only about 50% is what you actually said and/or context/tone is lost.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:42 AM   #19
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
^^^ Ditto.

Backstabbers are everywhere and they will use the knife in your back to climb the ladder.

If you have a complaint, think about it. If it is worthy to talk face to face with your boss or your boss's boss, then talk only to them about it. If it is not, then keep your mouth shut.

Solid advice here.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:46 AM   #20
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

It seems more people are like that than not. I hear about it constantly. I don't even mention things about my employees around my other employees, it's like the 7th grade around here....I can't imagine what a big office setting would be like.

Show up on time, work hard, act nice, go home.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:54 AM   #21
wow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, and any where im invited

i just start my own rumors about myself.
wow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 10:01 AM   #22
talltexasshoote
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent and garza counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stites_Bites View Post
And to top it off he doesnít even work with the company full-time.

Sounds like he is trying to by taking your job. Now you know where you stand. Better to know your enemies than have them lurking in the shadows.
talltexasshoote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #23
Stites_Bites
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry101 View Post
One pain in the butt co-worker doesn't necessarily equate to a "toxic" work environment. Is there more going on or is it just this guy?

If possible but some distance between you and this guy. Not sure what you could do to "fix" the situation but I wouldn't let one bad apple push me out of my job.

Heís just one I know about for sure. I think that my office manager who I have also voiced concerns with has started to spew a bit too much as well. I bring obvious problems to her attention and she equates that to me not being able to handle the environment.

To put it in perspectiveÖ I work 9-10 hour days and make less than others working 7. Iíve been here 2 years and they have been here less.

Just hate feeling as if Iím being taken advantage of.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:13 AM   #24
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Bryant,

You are going to run across a lot of fair weathered friends in the work place as the years go by & imagine it's even more rampant in your chosen field...best thing to do is use this as a life lesson & not run, but learn from it & spot them in the future. There is no perfect job & keeping most all the frustrations / venting away from co-workers is a pretty good practice.

Your true work ethic, attitude & value are showing itself to the people who matter...same will surface to those who are shallow & take life's short cuts to advance themselves.

Go about your duties & don't let that clown steal any more of your joy.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 10:21 AM   #25
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Quote:
He’s just one I know about for sure. I think that my office manager who I have also voiced concerns with has started to spew a bit too much as well. I bring obvious problems to her attention and she equates that to me not being able to handle the environment.

To put it in perspective… I work 9-10 hour days and make less than others working 7. I’ve been here 2 years and they have been here less.

Just hate feeling as if I’m being taken advantage of.

So im going to be blunt. As im in MGMT.

If your making less than the people working 7 hrs and you guys are on the same level then either you are not doing as good of a job as you think and MGMT notices it. Or if you know for sure you are doing a better job then those making more and are earning it. Then maybe you should move on as it sounds like you may not be appreciated by the company and there are always companies looking for hard workers.

All of my guys that gripe about wanting a raise etc. Do nothing more to warrant one. The guys that get raises seldom ever say a word about a raise and work their asses off so they get one. Its hard to get that into some peoples head.

I'm just being honest and trying to give you something to consider i know this doesn't address your OP but I'm responding to your statement above.

Last edited by dclifton; 07-08-2021 at 10:24 AM.
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 10:38 AM   #26
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclifton View Post

If your making less than the people working 7 hrs and you guys are on the same level then either you are not doing as good of a job as you think and MGMT notices it. Or if you know for sure you are doing a better job then those making more and are earning it. Then maybe you should move on as it sounds like you may not be appreciated by the company and there are always companies looking for hard workers.

All of my guys that gripe about wanting a raise etc. Do nothing more to warrant one. The guys that get raises seldom ever say a word about a raise and work their asses off so they get one. Its hard to get that into some peoples head.

I'm just being honest and trying to give you something to consider i know this doesn't address your OP but I'm responding to your statement above.
This right here!
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 10:40 AM   #27
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
It seems more people are like that than not. I hear about it constantly. I don't even mention things about my employees around my other employees, it's like the 7th grade around here....I can't imagine what a big office setting would be like.

Show up on time, work hard, act nice, go home.
This
Graysonhogs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #28
CEO
Pope & Young

I don't know which I dislike more; the constant *** kissers, or the "talk behind your back" folk. They're usually one in the same though.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 10:48 AM   #29
tx_basser
Eight Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

Man... i could go on and on,,, but never discuss complaints, go out to bars, happy hour, gatherings with coworkers. Every company has them, but what you desribe is not a toxic workplace.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #30
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

These folks will be everywhere you go. Just put your head down and your best foot forward.
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:05 AM   #31
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

Head down, mouth shut, squirrel it away, eject early.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #32
Texas452
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burleson Coleman Leon counties

Quote:

This!
I tell my slackers all the that there is a reason raises are given.
It always the ones that complain the most work the least that always want a raise. We donít take any remarks from employees as gospel. If an employee works hard , pays attention to safety and shows up for work thatís all we ask for.
We know who the K Aís are.
Texas452 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #33
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
Head down, mouth shut, squirrel it away, eject early.
Yep , youíre there to work , and not talk/ complain.
I am with dale the work place is like 7th grade,
work , be safe, be quiet , go home and relax , donít like the pay grade, or hours, be thankful youíre not the owner or jefe
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #34
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas

seems like this workplace has its more then its fair share of those looking to advance, and not give two cents on how they get up the ladder,
but now it seems management are turning Jelly Fish, no spin
sure does make for a bad attitude when one knows nothing will done about any of the known problems going on
Head down, go in do your job and get out. is the new norm for some
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #35
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Guard your heart. Always. Echoing what Dale said. If you’ve got a problem speak to your wife about it. When I was working at Baylor Scott and White there was a plumber there that liked to take pictures of people without their permission.
I was down in the bottom floor of the hospital where I kept my tool box at going through my tablet. And I was sitting in my chair while I was doing it. I caught movement out of my right eye and casually looked over there. I pretended not to see him, but it was “the golden boy”.His claim to fame was 4% body fat and walking 10 miles a day after work. He was a smart plumber but a tattletale.
Anyway I saw him going in his workroom and followed him there and shut the door behind me. Now mind you I’m 60 years old then and he’s in his late 40,s. I just told him that I didn’t like him taking pictures of me and if he did it again we were gonna have a problem. He held his hands straight up in the air and apologized. And it was over.
He was still an azz hole but from that day on he never messed with me again. That works with people when they realize your willing to resolve the problem cordially, or what ever way they want to. That’s the way I’ve always rolled. Do unto others folks. Don’t assault, don’t threaten. Just tell your wife or if necessary him to his face. Don’t breach the HR policy if you choose the later option.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:25 AM   #36
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
^^^ Ditto.

Good advice.
I'd add that you were hired to do a job. It's about earning the paycheck.
Very few people can separate business and friendship so itvis difficult sometimes to maintain relationships in the workplace.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #37
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
I bring obvious problems to her attention and she equates that to me not being able to handle the environment.
Don't bring management problems, bring them solutions.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #38
TxBowHntr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas452 View Post
This!
I tell my slackers all the that there is a reason raises are given.
It always the ones that complain the most work the least that always want a raise. We donít take any remarks from employees as gospel. If an employee works hard , pays attention to safety and shows up for work thatís all we ask for.
We know who the K Aís are.
Another way to look at it is what my Dad told me years ago, "You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate for." Everything is a negotiation. As others have asked, what are you doing to push their hands into giving you a raise? Another way to word it, "why should/would they pay you more?" Raises are given in an effort to retain employees, period. Make them want to retain you.
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #39
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

I just smile and say well that’s a shame and bless their heart…
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:47 AM   #40
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
^This^ There seems to be a misconception in folks (usually the younger hires) that it appears good to management that you are constantly finding and calling out problems/errors. I'm not going to lie, that was me back in the day as well. Luckily I had a good mentor early on that steered me right. Can't hammer home Dales comment enough.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:51 AM   #41
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

I manage people and recently had to deal with 2 adults swapping social media info then conversing outside of the workplace.

"he said I was sexy and that makes me uncomfortable now"

Best part is they work from home and are in entirely different states. But here we go, she's obviously trying to leverage into a claim she's in a hostile/harassed work environment. Everyone wants to collect unemployment.
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #42
3rdCoastHunter
Four Point

Dealing with a narcissist in my own area luckily 1. Were working remote 2. It’s sales so my individual success and metrics speaks louder than anything she does

Key like others said is always do a better job than the rest / be more reliable etc. talk is cheaper performance speaks louder
3rdCoastHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #43
Stites_Bites
Four Point

Quote:

Thatís this issueÖ I legitimately have tried. The workload is extremely unbalanced and itís apparent Iím doing 3-4 times the work a week compared to everyone else. Iíve asked if there would be a way to spread things out a bit more to ensure some of us donít get worn out. Iím guessing thatís what made them think I ďcanít handle it.Ē

Itís difficult because Iím in the health care sector. Our facility does not grant bonuses or push raises at all. Iím actually making less now when we bring inflation into the picture lol.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:06 PM   #44
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

Out of curitousity, what is it that you're upset about in your work environment?
hopedale is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 12:09 PM   #45
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

I've been self-employed since I was 20 (other than 8 years with HFD), but I tried working in a big, corporate environment once (awesome pay, awesome benefits), where the "Leadership Team" was nothing more than a collection of yes-men and "safety" was used as a weapon for up-and-comers to self-promote.

I could give you some great advice on what to do to stay there and survive, but if that's your environment you're better off going somewhere else; or learn a trade and work for yourself.

Some people are built for that environment and some are not.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 12:19 PM   #46
Stites_Bites
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post
Out of curitousity, what is it that you're upset about in your work environment?

To put it simplyÖ I get paid hourly. Everyone around me gets paid per hour as well. I am one of 2 employees that will get asked to work more than 40 hours a week nearly every week. I started off hungry and eager and would always try and go above and beyond. I put my head down and did it often. Iím realizing now that Iím getting more and more responsibilities thrust at me with no incentive to keep grinding like I used to. I havenít made a cent more than I did when I started 2 years agoÖ. So I simply asked if the work load could be equally distributed if I wasnít getting a raise. They didnít like the fact that I wanted others to match my hours I guess?

Now Iím seen as someone who complains. I made the naive mistake in thinking that I could comfortably voice these concerns.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #47
McPatrickClan
Ten Point

Sadly, I agree with others that what you are describing, OP, is not an unusual, toxic work environment, but a normal American work environment. If you have a strong network of family and friends, consider yourself blessed and lean on them. Others at your workplace who have no reliable, loving family and/or friends will need to build community at work- let 'em.

I've worked in a bunch of work environments and even been dinged for cutting out to Subway at lunch to read the newspaper and enjoy my sub. I've been told that my family is too high a priority in my life. Others complained that I never wanted to go to happy hour. I have to let it go- I have a wonderful family that I am very proud of and frankly, I want to spend my time investing in a relationship with them, not most co-workers.

OP, you may also be an overresponsible worker. If you have a strong sense of duty and a high degree of responsibility for your scope of work, others, who are experts in doing the least amount of work possible, will figure out that you will do their work for them. I've been that overresponsible guy. It was a mistake on my part. You have to let the plate hit the floor- if you cover for your co-workers who work less, you are just letting yourself be taken advantage of. That's not what God wants for you... or them.
McPatrickClan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #48
McPatrickClan
Ten Point

In my developing opinion, there are generally two types of people in most workplaces:

*Type A People who are real go-getters... but the empire they are building is their own. They are usually pretty good at politics and are working two or three levels deep to get ahead. Their effort is not laced with classic integrity but with selfish ambition.

OR

*Relaxed, chill people who frankly just don't make waves and don't do much of impact either. The first group doesn't mind these people; they are like rocks in the river to them. They sometimes get promoted because of longevity and are no threat to the first group.

Here on TBH? Well, we have all kinds, but I am telling you guys, we have a pretty good sampling of the ideal employee/boss:

*An assertive person who believes in their ability to accomplish things, works hard because it is the right thing to do, does their best to keep their hands clean from any nasty politics, etc. This type of person is sadly, diminishing, in our society because we have fewer and fewer strong families and churches from which they largely come.

When this type of person is a boss, they don't take advantage of hardworking employees, they support and protect them. When this type of person is an employee, they work hard, trusting that the leadership will do right by them.

See how much better that latter group is?

Nowadays, finding a place like that to work is challenging. But they are out there. May God bless you as you do your best to find a solid work environment.
McPatrickClan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 12:40 PM   #49
Stites_Bites
Four Point

Quote:

Solid advice. I think the main issue I face is that Iím being asked to pull back on my quality of work to do more work. My quality is what I thought helped me stand out. Others skip out on quality severely in an attempt to try and do more.

But the thing is I still am doing more than 75% of my co workers with the same quality.

They seem to have a sour view of me because I make it apparent that the workload is not equal. That was my mistake I guess. Those acting like helpful ears decided to start talking about me.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:46 PM   #50
Stites_Bites
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Bryant,

You are going to run across a lot of fair weathered friends in the work place as the years go by & imagine it's even more rampant in your chosen field...best thing to do is use this as a life lesson & not run, but learn from it & spot them in the future. There is no perfect job & keeping most all the frustrations / venting away from co-workers is a pretty good practice.

Your true work ethic, attitude & value are showing itself to the people who matter...same will surface to those who are shallow & take life's short cuts to advance themselves.

Go about your duties & don't let that clown steal any more of your joy.

Appreciate it Paul.