Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-17-2021, 10:05 AM   #1
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS
Default Permit-less carry

I'm sure there are other threads about this, but how does everyone feel about this?

I know it's constitutional and everyone's right, but is it really "Everyone's" right? until they go Cray Cray because their girl friend cheated on them and start seeking revenge n public???

I don't know a lot of details, but the idea of ANYONE who wants, (crazy or not) be able to carry does not suit well with me,,,

not to mention as a Permit holder, we're always recognized as "good citizen" with no background issues, specially when the LEO realize that....
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:09 AM   #2
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

My thoughts are the person who is gonna go "cray cray" and/or just regular ol crazy people did not give a flip about a permit and it would not stop them from having, owning, carrying a gun and doing what crazy people do.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:10 AM   #3
PoppinPiggies
Six Point

Hunt In: Clay County

"ANYONE who want, (crazy or not)" could already carry if they wanted to without an LTC............. not legally but a piece of paper isn't gonna stop them if they want too

As far as your point on the benefits of being a permit holder you can still keep your LTC, constitutional carry doesn't get rid of it......
PoppinPiggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:10 AM   #4
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I just retired LE. Im all for it. People that are crazy could care less about a permit. Not everyone can carry- Only people that would qualify to get a “permit” now. I dont see any negatives
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #5
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas

just reads the whole thing, "if you legaly allowed to carry" , is the main thing i got out of reading it, the penalty for carring when you are not legally alllowed is going to be more. we will just have to see how it all polays out, i will maintain my LTC and continue to coneal carry
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Poor cops. Another reason to retire.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #7
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

You could move to Chicago they don't allow carry over there. New York is another bastion of "safety" if that's what your worried about. There is zero legislation that will prevent your hypothetical situation. I think what needs to be addressed first and foremost is the degradation of American culture. The ignorant are idolized and the honorable are chastised for doing jobs that must be done. Also if you've take the LTC class you know how simple they are, in my mind they provided zero aside from the legal aspects that were covered.

Last edited by arrowsmack324; 06-17-2021 at 10:26 AM. Reason: P
arrowsmack324 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:13 AM   #8
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Good grief...where are all these crazies in the dozens of other states that have CC?? You really think passing CC is going to make people criminals all the sudden??

I'm still waiting for the tbh members to come eat their crow when the passing of open carry was going to make folks crazy...I'll wait.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:13 AM   #9
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

It's not going to change anything, anyone who it applies to can all already carry in our vehicles and such.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:15 AM   #10
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
I'm sure there are other threads about this, but how does everyone feel about this?

I know it's constitutional and everyone's right, but is it really "Everyone's" right? until they go Cray Cray because their girl friend cheated on them and start seeking revenge n public???

I don't know a lot of details, but the idea of ANYONE who wants, (crazy or not) be able to carry does not suit well with me,,,

not to mention as a Permit holder, we're always recognized as "good citizen" with no background issues, specially when the LEO realize that....
Crazy people or those who wish to harm others don't give AF about any laws.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:16 AM   #11
Nate Riley
Ten Point

LTC only limited "good people" (law abiding citizens).
Nate Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #12
ACbob
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sabinal & Victoria Cnty

If the second amendment were treated by the citizenry as carelessly as the first is by the "free press", I would be concerned. That won't be the case.
ACbob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #13
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria County

Quote:

That's a rather narrow view, you've got there
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #14
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Since no one wants to prevent that person who actually has a history of cray cray from having access to a gun then it’s only fair the realist of us has the right to carry
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #15
etbowhunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
You could move to Chicago they don't allow carry over there. New York is another bastion of "safety" if that's what your worried about. There is zero legislation that will prevent your hypothetical situation. I think what needs to be addressed first and foremost is the degradation of American culture. The ignorant are idolized and the honorable are chastised for doing jobs that must be done.
Spot on as far as the problem being more cultural than legal. As a whole, society has become more worried about Monday morning quarterbacking everything. Personal accountability is a thing of the past. Equally as important is the conversation that needs to be had about mental illness.
etbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #16
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

I believe 20 other states have constitutional carry. How has it worked out for them?
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 10:51 AM   #17
98ag
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
I believe 20 other states have constitutional carry. How has it worked out for them?
Better than NY and Chicago who don't have it.
98ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 11:08 AM   #18
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

https://texas.gunowners.org/wp-conte...b-1927-FAQ.pdf
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #19
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas

it s going to be intresting to see how things play, i am sure this will make it more difficult for the LEO's as far walking up to a car not knowing (as they already do)... if the person or persons are armed and what there mind set is. just added stress i imagine
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 11:12 AM   #20
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:

Move to New York, youíll feel at home there.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #21
Clay C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
it s going to be intresting to see how things play, i am sure this will make it more difficult for the LEO's as far walking up to a car not knowing (as they already do)... if the person or persons are armed and what there mind set is. just added stress i imagine
Because bad guys go through the trouble of getting their LTC so the LEO knows they are armed?
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 11:14 AM   #22
Clay C
Pope & Young

I'm going to be driving through Wyoming next week. I expect to make it no further than about 10 miles in before i'm gunned down.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 11:15 AM   #23
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:

If you think your last paragraph is true of everyone then youíre delusional.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #24
jake03
Six Point

Hunt In: backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphillips62 View Post
Thank you...good summary
jake03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 11:19 AM   #25
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
All the same people can already carry in their vehicle, this doesn't change anything there that they're not already dealing with.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #26
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

LE will be no different. You guys taking position of poor LE. It is no different. Never took a gun off someone that could legally have one and took plenty off folks that it was illegal for them to have. All LE encounters have at least one gun on scene. This changes nothing as far as an Officers approach, stress, or mindset- If it does they need to get out now and stop eating a pecan diet
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #27
Hills of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but this just isnít so. Leo doesnít care if you have a permit or not when it comes to dealing with people. Everyone is potentially armed and I donít recall LTC holders being required to take polygraphs and Psychological exams prior to licensing. What proficiency is tested is minimal at best. Thereís plenty of crazy people out there without a criminal history that took the little class and paid their money. Thatís it.
Hills of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #28
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: NTX & WTX

People that think it's going to turn into the wild west or that every person is going to have a revelation and decide to carry when they never have before are the same ones that thought the world was going to end for Y2K. If some people didn't have something to worry about, they wouldn't have anything to do...
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #29
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Anyone done the research on what happens to the LTC? Surely it’s not just going away is it? Seems like it would still be necessary for travel to other states.
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 12:37 PM   #30
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Cops who oppose this are the ones who believe no one but them should be armed. Tyrants(ie Art Acevedo)

I highly doubt this will increase the number of people who carry a firearm on a regular basis. Maybe more people will have them in their car but that's about it.
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #31
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Anyone done the research on what happens to the LTC? Surely itís not just going away is it? Seems like it would still be necessary for travel to other states.
Can I / should I still get a License to Carry (LTC)?

HB 1927 does not repeal existing LTC law. Texans who are
eligible for an LTC can still obtain an LTC.
You may wish to get or keep an LTC for the following purposes:

Reciprocity (for carry in other states that recognize the LTC)
Firearm purchases (those with an LTC receive a Federal
exemption from a background check when purchasing a
firearm from a dealer)
Carry on college campuses (with applicable regulations)
Carry on Lower Colorado River Authority property
Carry in open meetings of governmental entities.
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 12:39 PM   #32
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Some good points and some not so good points. Thanks to all who gave mature and reasonable answers. I tend to agree that those who are crazy and want to carry, will carry either way...

To those who suggested I should move or gave stupid answers,,,,
I'm no moving anywhere, I love Texas and will always love Texas. I chose to have my kids be born here and be Texans and I couldn't be more proud that a part of me is Texas born.

God Bless,

Ali
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 12:46 PM   #33
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Permits never did anything for crazy people with guns anyway. Just red tape for law abiding citizens

And 99 out of 100 people I know that do carry and have a permit are far more dangerous because of it. I permit canít change a persons heart and way of rational thinking
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 12:49 PM   #34
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

Where were you born?
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 12:56 PM   #35
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoses View Post
Can I / should I still get a License to Carry (LTC)?

HB 1927 does not repeal existing LTC law. Texans who are
eligible for an LTC can still obtain an LTC.
You may wish to get or keep an LTC for the following purposes:

Reciprocity (for carry in other states that recognize the LTC)
Firearm purchases (those with an LTC receive a Federal
exemption from a background check when purchasing a
firearm from a dealer)
Carry on college campuses (with applicable regulations)
Carry on Lower Colorado River Authority property
Carry in open meetings of governmental entities.
Thanks. Looks like it will be worth retaining my LTC. The renewal is only every 4 years anyway. The ability to purchase firearms without the background check call is reason enough.

I'd also venture to say, having an LTC still would make any random confrontations with LEOs while carrying be less hassle for both parties. I don't get pulled over often, but I always hand over both ID's.

I'm all for constitutional carry, but for the nominal fee every 4 years, I'm going to retain my LTC.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 01:10 PM   #36
tazhunter0
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can!!!

I will still get my LTC when I get my Child Support fully paid off. I was told half way thru the class that I had a very slim chance of getting it since I was behind on CS. I finished the classroom portion of the class and didn’t worry about taking the shooting part at the time. I almost have it totally paid off and will be getting the class taken after the first of the year. I have always carried in my truck. I will start to carry in September.
tazhunter0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #37
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Johnson Cty

I remember when they passed open carry and everybody especially the left said we would go back to the old west days and there would gun fights in the streets. Murders were suppose to go way up as well as other crime. None of it happened. Same with CC nothing will change.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 01:36 PM   #38
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Rather judged by 12 then carried by 6.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #39
Bro. Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill country

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
Absolutely
Bro. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #40
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDave View Post
Thanks. Looks like it will be worth retaining my LTC. The renewal is only every 4 years anyway.
Interesting, mine is six years.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #41
bloodtrail18
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx

Maybe now all the criminals who carry unlawfully will have something to think about knowing that all citizens have the right to carry and defend themselves. There are plenty of guys like myself that never had the time or desire to sit through a LTC class. Now if they can pass the new suppressor laws we will be in business.
bloodtrail18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #42
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

the only difference will be that those that are already carrying without the permit will be legal. I doubt many new people will start carrying.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 02:13 PM   #43
c3products20
Ten Point

Your argument sounds like the same argument the libs use to try and get rid of "assault" rifles. If we limit the number of guns crazy people dont have access to them. Or we need stronger background checks... But I rarely hear this rebuttal, which is my opinion. If someone has made up their mind to injure people, they are going to injure people.... If we take away guns they will make bombs, possibly even car bombs like they do in the Middle East. If they can't make a bomb, they will start a fire. If they can't find a match they will use a knife. Etc..... The answer is pretty simple really. Why do the "no gun zones" have the highest shooting rates? Because the criminals know that no-one will be shooting back it them!!!
c3products20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 02:17 PM   #44
c3products20
Ten Point

The best solution to all these shootings is for the media to stop glorifying these psychopaths! Then they wouldn't seek the attention they are after when they shoot these places/people up...
c3products20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 02:21 PM   #45
gfulton
Ten Point

Hell crazy people have rights also.
gfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 02:23 PM   #46
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfulton View Post
Hell crazy people have rights also.
They have more rights now than me or you! Itís crazy 😜
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 02:26 PM   #47
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I have always carried when I though the situation warranted it. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

With that being said it’s uncomfortable and most aren’t going to carry because of that. Lugging a 2lbs of steel on you in the summer sucks. It’s a non issues.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 03:27 PM   #48
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
That was something I learned in LTC class. If you shoot someone in public you will go to jail and your fate will rest in the hands of a jury. In most cases I'd rather take my *** whipping and go home and drink vodka on my couch.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 06:58 PM   #49
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County and Beyond
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I just retired LE. Im all for it. People that are crazy could care less about a permit. Not everyone can carry- Only people that would qualify to get a ďpermitĒ now. I dont see any negatives
Thank you for your statement!! As a former LE, I totally agree that the "crooks or idiots" are going to carry regardless. The same "backgrounds" that prohibit carry (felons and other factors, etc.,) is still in effect.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 07:13 PM   #50
PlanoDano
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, ID, CO

Before, with a few exceptions, you had CHL holders and law breakers. Exception noted for those engaged in or in route hunting and fishing. I am all for not criminalizing people just for carrying a weapon. I see problems down the road as they start seeking to judge which of us are competent to carry a weapon. Those laws are sure to follow on the heels of this bill.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top