Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #1
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Default Broken dam!!

Lost my lake and my fish on Memorial Day. Apparently the Grapeland area had 11 plus inches over night. There were several others that lost their dams that night as well. The good news is nobody was hurt and it can be repaired. The bad news is I have to start over on growing my fish.
Attached Images

switchbackxt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #2
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Damm, sorry to hear that. A lot of hard work and money went into that, I'm sure
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #3
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get up & running soon.
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

That really sucks.

Need to get some vegetation on it asap.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 08:48 AM   #5
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

That’s a shame! The previous owner of our place built a beautiful 3/4 acre pond with a dam / levee but he didn’t install an overflow… with all of this rain I have lost so many feesh that it would make a grown salty old man cry! You’ll have great memories rebuilding your pond and your feesh herd. When the next drought hits, I’m installing an overflow :-)
Bucknaked is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #6
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchbackxt View Post
Lost my lake and my fish on Memorial Day. Apparently the Grapeland area had 11 plus inches over night. There were several others that lost their dams that night as well. The good news is nobody was hurt and it can be repaired. The bad news is I have to start over on growing my fish.
No spillway, or just not in the pics ?
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 08:52 AM   #7
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
No spillway, or just not in the pics ?
It is left of the island in the first pic.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:53 AM   #8
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
That really sucks.

Need to get some vegetation on it asap.
We had a hydro seeding company that was going to spray after the rain. Whoops!!
Old 06-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #9
MadHatter
Pope & Young

What a great opportunity to build in some new structure, and make it twice what it was
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #10
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: NTX & WTX

That sucks. During the Great Rains of 2015 in NTX, i had to build a few back up myself.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 08:56 AM   #11
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Damm, sorry to hear that. A lot of hard work and money went into that, I'm sure
Thank you. You are correct. Itís not really the work or the money that upset me. It was the loss of the fish that I have been feeding and growing for the last year.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:00 AM   #12
CEO
Pope & Young

Hate to see something like that. Our pond went from concerningly low, to almost hitting the overflow in just the last month.
CEO is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 09:01 AM   #13
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
What a great opportunity to build in some new structure, and make it twice what it was
We have looked at it as an opportunity to clean some of the brush out that we left in the first time. There is plenty of natural structure ( flooded timber ). Lake/ pond is about 4 acres in size and half of that is/was flooded timber.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:03 AM   #14
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Quote:
It is left of the island in the first pic.
The emergency spillway is typically at either end of the dam. Is the cut in the dam where the pipe outlet was or was there no pipe? Was this a do it yourself pond or did you hire a contractor? Any contractor worth a darn would have surveyed it and constructed it with controls in place to mitigate wash outs
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 09:21 AM   #15
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
The emergency spillway is typically at either end of the dam. Is the cut in the dam where the pipe outlet was or was there no pipe? Was this a do it yourself pond or did you hire a contractor? Any contractor worth a darn would have surveyed it and constructed it with controls in place to mitigate wash outs
The spillway was/is at the end of the dam and there was an emergency spillway at the other end as well. I do not believe the failure was the fault of the contractor. There were a couple of ponds in the same area that were decades old and they lost their dams as well. One of those being salmon lake Park built in the 60ís. 11 inches of rain in a few hours is going to cause flooding and I didnít have the funds to build a Hoover type dam. Things happen and we just have to regroup and rebuild.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:27 AM   #16
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

A spillway should always be built in natural ground with a berm that keeps the runoff from washing any part of the dam out from below. Having said that, sandy land can be a real challenge because natural ground washes as much as man-made fill does. Not everyone can afford to pour concrete in a spillway. I would be one of them, I’m lucky mine is in clay. Hate that you lost your fish. I lost mine in 2011 because of the drought and the limited runoff that goes into my pond.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #17
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
We had a hydro seeding company that was going to spray after the rain. Whoops!!
Spend the money and do it right. Concrete spillway. Have engineer run calcs on water flow so you build it big enough. Should some issue of washout.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #18
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Brown Co.

Sorry to lose your fish. We are trying to grow some now too
I might look at a pipe overflow and concrete emergency spillway.
My hindsight is close to 20/20.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 09:51 AM   #19
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Quote:
The spillway was/is at the end of the dam and there was an emergency spillway at the other end as well. I do not believe the failure was the fault of the contractor. There were a couple of ponds in the same area that were decades old and they lost their dams as well. One of those being salmon lake Park built in the 60ís. 11 inches of rain in a few hours is going to cause flooding and I didnít have the funds to build a Hoover type dam. Things happen and we just have to regroup and rebuild.
That really sux about your fish. You have a good attitude to start over and try again. Good luck with the redo and I hope it never happens again. 11" at once is a ton of water.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #20
EastTexun
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston County

Sorry to hear about your dam and your lost fish! Those pictures are bad deja vu for me as we lost our lake in Grapeland (twice) due to big rains like that. I heard from one of my neighbors that nearly everyone that had a tank, pond or lake lost part or all of their dams after that rain.

As a suggestion for the new build, reach out to the NRCS/Soil Conservation folks in Crockett and get them to do a watershed study to see how much watershed is actually feeding into your pond so you can size the overflow properly. After we lost the second dam, I had them out and eventually had to make the hard decision to not rebuild. We purchased the property with the dam already built, but even when we replaced the existing drains with a full railcar for a drain it overtopped the dam and blew it out.
EastTexun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 10:44 AM   #21
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

I know concrete is obviously not cost effective. I would suggest a pond liner type material and just run it length ways over the spill way. Over into pond a ways then down the back of the spill way. Then cover it with dirt and a few loads of cheap rock. Poor mans spill way but it works. It will keep it from washing out again. If it ever get down to the liner atleast that will stop it.

Last edited by dclifton; 06-08-2021 at 10:46 AM.
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #22
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Just giving our experience from May 2016 and last month in Austin County. We have a 10' wide by 3' deep overflow spillway built into the dam at the farm, dam is approximately 100 yards long. We are maybe 900-100 yards from the peak of the hill, so we aren't getting crazy amounts of runoff coming down the hill to us. In both 2016 and last month, we had water flowing straight across the dam and across the pasture at the peak of the dam roughly 20 yards up the hill towards the house, maybe 12"-14" in elevation. It doesn't seem possible unless you are sitting in the truck watching it, I've even had folks tell me that I was exaggerating when I posted about the water level and what was going on. When you have that much water drop in that short of a time period, Mother Nature will surprise you

That being said, if you can afford it, a concrete spillway cut into the dam is a good idea. We had to seriously shore up the backside of the dam where it flows into the creek after the 2016 flood, it had undercut the spillway quite a bit. Spent more than we desired, but drove metal pilings down and poured the concrete to it held up beautifully this go round, and its seen some water over the last few years. None quite like last months deluge, but other than a few small areas down close to the creek where the trees were causing the water to swirl, we didn't have any damage to speak of. And the dam has been there for at least 28 years, not sure how long it had been there before my in-law's purchased the place. So the grass definitely helps keep the erosion at bay, I'd hate to think of what would have happened had this been a new dam, I'm sure we would have had a breach somewhere and lost more than we did...somewhere down stream there are more than a few Florida/Texas strain hybrids that look like footballs swimming around I hope they survived and made their way into the Brazos River system
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #23
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM

Wow....sorry about losing your lake and fish. I know the effort that goes into it. Good luck on repair and re-stocking.
unclefish is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #24
GS91
Four Point

Hunt In: DCNF

The Farm and Ranch store here in Grapeland was keeping a list of all the reported lakes that were busted. Last I heard, the count was up in the mid 30's, just in the immediate Grapeland area.
The amount of rain that fell was unreal. We did record right at 12" in about 8 hours, but most of it came within a 4 to 5 hour time frame. A lot of roads were lost too. Was a real mess for a few days.
GS91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 04:26 PM   #25
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
We have looked at it as an opportunity to clean some of the brush out that we left in the first time. There is plenty of natural structure ( flooded timber ). Lake/ pond is about 4 acres in size and half of that is/was flooded timber.
What a shame, sorry you lost that nice lake and the fish population you were working on. Good luck rebuilding.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 04:29 PM   #26
IvoryRoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Dam shame.
IvoryRoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 04:37 PM   #27
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX & North TX

Quote:
Yep. We have family land in Grapeland and they had a ton of rain in a very very short amount of time. I saw pictures of Salmon Lake and it is gone. It has been there a very long time, was built correctly, and has weathered many floods until that rain. Sorry to see you lost yours OP... you weren't alone in that area.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 06:00 PM   #28
db@100
Ten Point

Well, their should be some great fishing in all the creeks around Grapeland.
db@100 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 06:08 PM   #29
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

Same thing happened to us in 2016, emergency spillway couldnít keep up and lost a 13 acre lake that was full of fish we built in the 90ís
Itís rebuilt now and has handled the crazy rainfall good so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 06:50 PM   #30
PeePaw on Fork
Four Point

When you get the new dam built take a ditch witch and cut a trench from one end to the other and fill the trench with sakrete.
PeePaw on Fork is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #31
Bear Charge
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Your "good news" is good news.
Bear Charge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #32
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Build the dam higher and lower the spill away a foot or 2
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 07:16 PM   #33
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

One of the keys to the spill way is to make sure it is clear and clean. Speaking of which I need to do some clearing mine.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #34
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
One of the keys to the spill way is to make sure it is clear and clean. Speaking of which I need to do some clearing mine.

Thatís what got ours. Logs and stuff jammed it and it breached in the center

Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 07:49 AM   #35
J Loves Huntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Sorry to hear that. Lots of hours go into maintaining ponds and dams
Good luck on the rebuild
J Loves Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 08:02 AM   #36
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix View Post
Thatís what got ours. Logs and stuff jammed it and it breached in the center

Your last photo of water running through the cut dam is incredible and painful all in one photo.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #37
Kong
Six Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma Texas

We had equipment sitting beside a 16 acre lake waiting for it to dry up enough to fix their spillway problem he had been putting off for years. The dam failed on Saturday and he lost the entire lake and all the fish he had spent 16 years growing and adding to his overall expense tens of thousands of dollars to get it back where it was. The poor guy was in tears and I offered to do some extra work for free on the inflow side removing silt trying to help him out. He’s come to terms with it today and we’re going to add a lot of structure in it making it an even better fishing lake for his family so the best thing I can say in your situation is to turn a negative into a positive by taking the time to do it right this time and making it better than it was.

We’ve repaired and built hundreds of lakes over the years and the number one problem is the dam height compared to the spillway construction and the over site of lake builders not knowing or at least having the understanding of a worst case scenario of in flow.

I’m sure you have a grasp on it now but if you have any questions I’d be happy to offer any advice on it so feel free to pm me with any questions. Repairing a dam is as much art as it is anything else so if they just start packing it with clay your going to be in trouble again, their is a process to it so find someone that’s dealt with it a lot.
Kong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 10:00 AM   #38
Roman AB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Would planting trees along the dam help hold the dirt in place in these situations?
Roman AB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #39
Kong
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman AB View Post
Would planting trees along the dam help hold the dirt in place in these situations?
Worst thing you can do to a dam is let trees grow on it, they need to be clean and well maintained
Old 06-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #40
Roman AB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Worst thing you can do to a dam is let trees grow on it, they need to be clean and well maintained
So the root systems wouldn't add any strength to the dam to hold it in place. I could see the spillway being clear and all but wouldn't tree roots help with erosion?
Roman AB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #41
Kong
Six Point

Root systems create cavities for the water to flow around weakening the dam. On smaller ponds it’s not a huge problem but on larger lakes above 4 acres it’s a nightmare scenario. Some survive decades like this but eventually they will fail from trees and roots rotting destroying the dam if they receive very much in flow. Water is always looking for a way to escape and it will always take the path of least resistance.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:52 AM   #42
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
I heard about Salmon. Spent a lot of time up there as a kid.
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #43
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Back together. Waiting for it to fill and then restock the fish.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #44
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

You did a dam fine job.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2021, 09:37 AM   #45
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene
Default Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
You did a dam fine job.
Yepper
warrington is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #46
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Looks nice. Did you put in a spillway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bobc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #47
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

When I built mine I put in a 15 inch steel pipe in the bottom of the lake and ran the other end into a creek with a valve to control the depth of mine. I usually keep it about 2 ft from the top of levy. Lake is about 12ft deep. I put in 3400 hybrid catfish in last year with lots of minnows and perch. I’ve got an electric well that pumps about 1500gpm into lake.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #48
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post
Looks nice. Did you put in a spillway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It already had a spillway and an emergency spillway, one on each end of the dam. They did make the spillway twice as wide this time around.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:52 PM   #49
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
Back together. Waiting for it to fill and then restock the fish.
Good luck with it, hope it fills up and you get those fish stocked back.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2021, 10:55 PM   #50
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Quote:
It already had a spillway and an emergency spillway, one on each end of the dam. They did make the spillway twice as wide this time around.
Did they make those at a lowered elevation compared to before or same height as before? Widening will definitely help but they should have been lowered a bit so they start emptying sooner instead of the crest lapping at the dam top for so long