School me on ranch insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on ranch insurance

So this property I’m chasing has a 1 acre homesite and 41 acres of pasture. Will be leasing pastures to start. Do you insure a property like this with standard home owners insurance or what? What protects me when cows gets out and a car hits them? Again don’t know what I don’t know so be gentle.

My guess, contact an Insurance agent. They are best suited to answer all your questions.

Chef on here is the best one I can recommend.

Comment

Call Rollo Insurance and talk to them.

They will walk you thru everything and can fix you up

Comment

I will reach out to him ASAP. I think we’re going to close in two months so just getting ducks in a row and was curious.

Comment

Congrats on your soon to be place! You might talk to Tx Farm bureau insurance too.

Comment

Who is responsible for the injuries sustained and the damage to the vehicle? That all depends where the accident occurred and which laws or statutes were in force at that location.

If the location of the accident was a farm-to-market (FM) road where no stock laws were in existence, the open range rule of common law would mean that the owner of the horse would not be subject to any liability in the accident.
            If the location of the accident was a state or federal highway, it’s possible the horse owner could be held liable if it is determined the horse owner knowingly permitted his animal to run free on the roadway. It wouldn’t matter if there was a local stock law in effect or not.
            If the accident took place on a farm-to-market road where there was a stock law in effect, the stock law would determine whether there was any liability on the part of the livestock owner. Since there are differences in each local stock law, there would be a need to review the exact provisions that apply in the location where the accident happened.

Is an animal owner liable for damage caused to a vehicle by an accident on a farm-to-market road in an area where running at large prohibitions have not been adopted?
            No. On a farm-to-market road, in the absence of the adoption of a local stock law, there is no statutory or common-law duty for a person who owns or is responsible for livestock to prevent it from roaming on the farm-to-market road. 22
            3. Is an animal owner liable for damage caused to a vehicle on a state or federal highway?
            It depends. The animal owner’s liability would likely hinge on whether the owner consciously allowed the animal to traverse the highway.23 The law provides that a person who owns or has responsibility for control of a horse, mule, donkey, cow, bull, steer, hog, sheep, or goat, may not knowingly allow the animal to cross or roam at large on the right of way of a highway. A violation is a Class C misdemeanor with a separate offense for each day the animal is allowed to roam at large. 24
            21 Tex.

Comment

Originally posted by TTUgrad08 View Post
              Call Rollo Insurance and talk to them.

They will walk you thru everything and can fix you up
              Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
              Congrats on your soon to be place! You might talk to Tx Farm bureau insurance too.
              I started with FB but am switching to Cale with Rollo. FB is good but not so much when things get complicated with cows, hunting, and a BnB

Comment

Farm liability
                2 million coverage should be less than 200 a year

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                  So this property I’m chasing has a 1 acre homesite and 41 acres of pasture. Will be leasing pastures to start. Do you insure a property like this with standard home owners insurance or what? What protects me when cows gets out and a car hits them? Again don’t know what I don’t know so be gentle.
                  The best I've found covering ranch property is Texas Farm Bureau. They will insure both your house and your ranch property and will cover things like tractors that almost all other insurance companies will require a rider on.

If you are going to have another person on your property then get an umbrella policy. I have one so that if some numbnuts does something stupid on the property and I get sued, I have a $1M umbrella on top of my existing coverage.

Comment

I have umbrella policy on mine along with insurance for equipment and house. Farm Bureau today ....

Comment

you can get a farm and ranch policy through a few different carriers and is probably the way I would go. This policy will cover your house, other structures, tractors, atv/utv, and liability on all of it. You may can also cover you home on a standard homeowners policy and cover the 40 acres with a farm liability

I would suggest anybody that has home, auto, and any other policy to get an umbrella policy. They arent expensive and can cover you butt if anything bad happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                        I can help you with this. I have multiple farm mutual carriers that I can quote you through. I can also answer any questions you may have. You can email me at cale.staton@rolloinsurance.com or send me a PM with your contact info and I’ll reach out. My office number is 972-564-8485

Comment

Working...
                        X