Driveways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveways

Need to do my driveway. It’s about 200 yards long. Trying to decide on rock or crushed concrete. What are pros and cons of each? It’s fairly new if that matters. 4 months ago the whole property was solid woods. Stumps have been removed and holes are pretty packed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
    Need to do my driveway. It’s about 200 yards long. Trying to decide on rock or crushed concrete. What are pros and cons of each? It’s fairly new if that matters. 4 months ago the whole property was solid woods. Stumps have been removed and holes are pretty packed.

I had my driveway road done in crushed concrete. I like it because its very cheap.....and it holds up well.

The cons are it doesn't look as good as rock and there are occasionally little plastic fragments (looks like safety netting) that show up on the driveway that I have to pick up. Its just not as clean of rock. But it makes for a dang good road base.

Comment

In my area, crushed brick was cheaper than crushed concrete and has an overall brownish hue.
      Like the crushed concrete, it does have some trash that surfaces.

It locks together tight and makes a nice road.

Comment

I'll be adding a culvert and road into my property in east Texas immediately after I close this month. I'm wondering if I need to add some sort of fill dirt or a base layer before adding the crushed concrete. I've also seen videos of people adding some sort of road fabric before laying down the fill dirt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
          I'll be adding a culvert and road into my property in east Texas immediately after I close this month. I'm wondering if I need to add some sort of fill dirt or a base layer before adding the crushed concrete. I've also seen videos of people adding some sort of road fabric before laying down the fill dirt.

I went with 4-6 inches of 1" crushed rock with fines over GTF-200 woven geotextile fabric. Two years in and it has held up well.

Comment

Crushed concrete is dusty as hell and your vehicles will never be clean - i hate it with a burning hot passion

Comment

Slag is my choice....if it's available.

Comment

I fought that battle for a while. Finally black topped the driveway 3 years ago and that’s the way to go if you can afford it.

Comment

My dad used washed 1” limestone and is pretty happy with it.

Comment

I'd go with crushed granite. I did that to a place in the hill country that I had and was very pleased. I'm not sure where you live, but there may be a crushed granite quarry in your area. I thought it was a big bang for the buck.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

I went with recycled asphalt. You need to do a base first. On mine I put down about 8 inches of clay and crowned it. Then added the asphalt. The asphalt binds with the clay. It has worked very well. Don't just drop rock on the bare ground and expect it to work. Keep the water from standing on the road and it will hold up fine.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          I fought that battle for a while. Finally black topped the driveway 3 years ago and that’s the way to go if you can afford it.

What was it and what did you top it with Phillip?

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                            What was it and what did you top it with Phillip?

I had gravel, with all the rain we get, any low spot gets pounded, my road is built up, good base, but it just was a constant battle. I asphalted my driveway, money well spent. It is not maintenance free, you have to seal and fix any cracks as they arise, but worth it and way cheaper than concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                              I went with 4-6 inches of 1" crushed rock with fines over GTF-200 woven geotextile fabric. Two years in and it has held up well.

Whet sis you get the geo mat ?

Comment

Working...
                              X