No announcement yet.

Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will tell on myself. In 1995 the company I work for I won a trophy whitetail hunt with a free mount. I was from country, but we had never hunted deer. In fact deer did not start showing up until about 15 years ago. I didn’t realize how clueless I was, first evening I sit with a guide and all we see is doe and I get to shoot one. I did and since there was several on hunt with different restrictions they opt to put me in stand by myself next morning. They put me in a stand telling me that a 130 class 8 point comes in early almost everyday. And since I can shoot anything I want they are confident I can handle it. I have to admit I didn’t know what a 130 class deer looked like, the doe the evening before was the first deer I had ever killed. Sure enough daylight comes, and I watch a awesome looking 8 point come out. Surely this is what they are talking about, and my trophy is there. I shoot him broadside at about 150 yards and he goes straight down. I stay in stand like directed, and the guide comes to pick me up. We go look at my trophy, and he is immediately asking me if there had been a second buck and I accidentally shot this one ? Well I say no, but looking at him on ground he didn’t look that big. Nobody was mad, and in fact I took some good nature ribbing about the size of my trophy. The deer went to the taxidermist, and is still at my house. My 2.5 year old 8 pointer that scored 81 inches... lol

The landowner thanked me said he was able to resell a trophy hunt on that particular 8. I learned a lesson, and I learned how to judge deer.

Comment

Originally posted by lige View Post
      Will tell on myself. In 1995 the company I work for I won a trophy whitetail hunt with a free mount. I was from country, but we had never hunted deer. In fact deer did not start showing up until about 15 years ago. I didn’t realize how clueless I was, first evening I sit with a guide and all we see is doe and I get to shoot one. I did and since there was several on hunt with different restrictions they opt to put me in stand by myself next morning. They put me in a stand telling me that a 130 class 8 point comes in early almost everyday. And since I can shoot anything I want they are confident I can handle it. I have to admit I didn’t know what a 130 class deer looked like, the doe the evening before was the first deer I had ever killed. Sure enough daylight comes, and I watch a awesome looking 8 point come out. Surely this is what they are talking about, and my trophy is there. I shoot him broadside at about 150 yards and he goes straight down. I stay in stand like directed, and the guide comes to pick me up. We go look at my trophy, and he is immediately asking me if there had been a second buck and I accidentally shot this one ? Well I say no, but looking at him on ground he didn’t look that big. Nobody was mad, and in fact I took some good nature ribbing about the size of my trophy. The deer went to the taxidermist, and is still at my house. My 2.5 year old 8 pointer that scored 81 inches... lol

The landowner thanked me said he was able to resell a trophy hunt on that particular 8. I learned a lesson, and I learned how to judge deer.
      Haha, great story.

Comment

Originally posted by lige View Post

Haha that’s pretty comical. Worked out great for the landowner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
          I wonder how they enforce the $2500 fine for killing a 150” mule deer? Seriously, I can see getting kicked off a lease for that. But legally they can’t force you get out your check book and write them a $2500 check.
          Sure they can. You can contract for almost anything. Offer+acceptance+meeting of the minds.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
            Sure they can. You can contract for almost anything. Offer+acceptance+meeting of the minds.
            While I agree with you to point, unless you have legally binding contract, they can't legally force you pay a dime. Especially if just "lease/ranch rules".

The reason I say all this is because I hunted with a guy that got on a lease with a similar rule. New lease, south Texas, they all agreed no bucks to be shot that were smaller than 150. If you broke this rule, you automatically got kicked off and fined $1000 (this back in the early 90s when $1000 was a lot money).

Opening morning this guy killed an old stud of a 10 point that scored 147+. They scored him back at camp and told him he broke the rules, he was kicked off the lease and had to write a check for 1k before he left. He told them to pound sand, that he did nothing wrong, killed a LEGAL BUCK IN A LEGAL WAY! If they had a problem with it they could call a the GW....so they did. Game warden shows up as the guy is leaving, game warden hears both sides and agrees with my friend. Told the lease boss that just because it was "lease rule", it was not a legal binding contract...have a good day!

Turns out the lease had been heavily hunted years prior and was shot out. That buck was by far the biggest buck anyone even saw in the two crappy years they stayed on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
              I wonder how they enforce the $2500 fine for killing a 150” mule deer? Seriously, I can see getting kicked off a lease for that. But legally they can’t force you get out your check book and write them a $2500 check.
              We took a guy to court in a similar manner and won. There was a judgement placed against the hunter that “messed up”. It was much more than $2500 as well.

The opposing layer was impressed with the he contract we had with the hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by dimeboxbill View Post
                I hunted with a friend of mine for 15 yr.s, we didn,t have a lot of big bucks back then, we do know, I was hunting on the top of the hill we also have bottom land, that night I had a good buck come out so I dropped him, the next morning I was hunting the bottom and had a even bigger buck come out into the open field, stopped sideways bout 150 yrd.s away, I just watched then he turned and starting walking towards me. I stayed in line of a big tree and moved over to a fallen tree, layer Bowman and watched as he came in to 35 yrd.s stopped and stood on his hind legs to mark a tree ( I guess) then turned and walked past me no more than 4 yrd.s, I just payed there till he cleared the area, we had no rules that said we couldn’t, shoot more than 1 big buck, we,re in a 5 deer county but I figured it wouldn,t be fair to shoot him so I told my friend about where he was. Turns out I should have shot him he didn,t come back out seems he got scared off the neighbors land. The next wk. the neighbor shot a doe and while walking out he shot that big buck. That,s o.k. I just wanted my buddy to shot it. So yes I hunt ethnically , I,ve passed on more than 3 but that to me is the right thing to do, like I say I was a guest even if it was15 yr.s

Wat?

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                  Wat?

Lol same thing I thought when I read it.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                    Wat?

agree

Comment

Originally posted by dimeboxbill View Post
                      I hunted with a friend of mine for 15 yr.s, we didn,t have a lot of big bucks back then, we do know, I was hunting on the top of the hill we also have bottom land, that night I had a good buck come out so I dropped him, the next morning I was hunting the bottom and had a even bigger buck come out into the open field, stopped sideways bout 150 yrd.s away, I just watched then he turned and starting walking towards me. I stayed in line of a big tree and moved over to a fallen tree, layer Bowman and watched as he came in to 35 yrd.s stopped and stood on his hind legs to mark a tree ( I guess) then turned and walked past me no more than 4 yrd.s, I just payed there till he cleared the area, we had no rules that said we couldn’t, shoot more than 1 big buck, we,re in a 5 deer county but I figured it wouldn,t be fair to shoot him so I told my friend about where he was. Turns out I should have shot him he didn,t come back out seems he got scared off the neighbors land. The next wk. the neighbor shot a doe and while walking out he shot that big buck. That,s o.k. I just wanted my buddy to shot it. So yes I hunt ethnically , I,ve passed on more than 3 but that to me is the right thing to do, like I say I was a guest even if it was15 yr.s
                      Hunting Ethnically is frowned upon

Comment

I’ve got one, telling on myself here. I’ll start off by saying I grew up in the woods, but never really hunted deer in the traditional sense we all know. Aging deer, deer camps, etc. we just lived in the country.

My dad, uncle, two cousins and myself all are lucky to hunt a family friends ranch in junction. Huge property, lot of big bucks. We’re only allowed does, spikes and the occasional “cull buck” (two bucks in 6 years). When we first started going, my experience in aging deer was very minimal. I wasn’t really trigger happy just not very experienced.

So the first night of our first hunt, everyone but me shoots a doe. Next morning, I see a lot of young bucks, one mature buck, and a lot of what looked to be yearling does. Get back to camp for lunch and everyone has another doe, couple spikes. So by the time the evening hunt comes around I’m the only one who hasn’t shot anything and I’m really getting hammered by these guys now. I go get in the stand and same thing. A bunch of yearling does and young bucks. The feeder goes off and scares all of the deer off. About five minutes later a lone doe walks out of the tree line to my right, and is milling around in the shade. Im looking at her through the scope and all I can see is her pot belly and long neck. Looks like a big doe! BOOOM! Finally! I got one. She runs about 50 yards and falls over. 30 minutes go by and my uncle comes to get me. “Get anything?” Yup!! I was so excited because I knew the torment was over. We walk up to this doe and with every step she’s getting smaller and smaller. We reach her and she’s so small she looks like she maybe lost her spots that morning. Still had milk on her lips **** near. My uncle just shook his head and says I have to do better than that. Boy I was hurt. Of course I got picked on hard after that, called names like fawn killer, coyote, etc etc. I redeemed myself eventually, but dragging that baby doe into camp is a mistake I’ll never make again!

Comment

Well, season's over. How'd we do?

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                            Hunting Ethnically is frowned upon
                            Bwahahahaha!

Comment

Anything new over the last 6 months?

The Pinche group on Facebook posted the Perlitz (sp) video and made me think of this thread

Comment

Taking one.

Comment

Working...
                                X