Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-28-2021, 08:31 AM   #1
imyomama
Ten Point

Default ford dealership nightmare

Ok, so a friend of mine just told me a story yesterday of someone they personally know and just had the worse experience at Grand Prairie Ford.

he said ... she ordered a new bronco with all the customization she wanted... put her deposit down ... and waited ... $39k loaded the way she wants.

then she got a call that it is in! Joy!

so she goes to the dealership and people are test driving it! whaaaaat???

she is mad at this point ... but it gets worse ..

they tell her until she signs the dotted line it's not her truck ...

so she said lets do the paperwork!

they respond... wait for it ... $60k!!!!! Whhaaaaaat ?????

apparently this vehicle is in high demand and people are willing to pay their "overage" they are doing now , so she pretty much got told to pay this ridiculous price or go pound sand!

thoughts ???

when i went looking at grapevine ford they told me they do $10k overage on f150 xlt and lariat , more on platinum... but they said if i ordered one, they would not charge overages ...

i guess GP Ford decided that still leaves $ on the table and decided to screw people over regardless..

strange times we live in!
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:33 AM   #2
Passafist
Eight Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

I tried to own 2 Fords and between corporate and the dealership I will walk before I ever buy another Ford!
Passafist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:35 AM   #3
Cliff Dog
Six Point

Hunt In: Irion County

That's a BS way to do business for sure
Cliff Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #4
friscopaint
Ten Point

Everything is crazy, neighbors wife is trying to buy an explorer and having a tough time finding what she wants
friscopaint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyomama View Post
Ok, so a friend of mine just told me a story yesterday of someone they personally know and just had the worse experience at Grand Prairie Ford.

he said ... she ordered a new bronco with all the customization she wanted... put her deposit down ... and waited ... $39k loaded the way she wants.

apparently this vehicle is in high demand and people are willing to pay their "overage" they are doing now , so she pretty much got told to pay this ridiculous price or go pound sand!

thoughts ???

when i went looking at grapevine ford they told me they do $10k overage on f150 xlt and lariat , more on platinum... but they said if i ordered one, they would not charge overages ...

i guess GP Ford decided that still leaves $ on the table and decided to screw people over regardless..

Seems like she would have a contract in writing if she ordered it and put a down payment on it?
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:43 AM   #6
kcnatural
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills CO.

We must know the same person. I already heard this exact story.
kcnatural is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

So what are they doing with her deposit?
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #8
CEO
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, MO, CO

I know some shady stuff is happening with vehicle purchases, but that seems over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
So what are they doing with her deposit?
This would be my question. I'd tell them to give me cash out of the drawer if they want to hold the vehicle I ordered for ransom.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #9
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

People are buying the Broncos and then reselling them for nice profits.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #10
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Seems like she would have a contract in writing if she ordered it and put a down payment on it?
I ordered my F-350 with just a $500 down payment. The “contract” I signed just stated that I had first shot at it, and the deposit was refundable if either the dealership or I backed out. The price wasn’t set, but they gave me a more than fair deal when it came in. When it came in I was ready to walk if they were going to try and screw me. They didn’t thankfully.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #11
bigbad243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg and Hye Texas

Quote:

thoughts ???

Ford would love to hear about that. That means that they took a custom order and made it retail instead. They are cracking down on that. It's BS either way. Happened to me on an RV 2-3 yrs ago.
bigbad243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 09:21 AM   #12
kingranch
Ten Point

i love my ford foxbody mustangs, but ****ed if ford will ever see a penny of my money on one of the newer products... yall can have them fancy pickemups ill stick to my jap ride
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 09:25 AM   #13
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
I ordered my F-350 with just a $500 down payment. The “contract” I signed just stated that I had first shot at it, and the deposit was refundable if either the dealership or I backed out. The price wasn’t set, but they gave me a more than fair deal when it came in. When it came in I was ready to walk if they were going to try and screw me. They didn’t thankfully.
I have a 2022 F350 on order. I have in writing that I will receive X plan pricing and already have that x plan price on the paper work from the dealer. Now when it comes in who's to say they don't tell me to pay some crazy price or go pound sand. Which at that point what are you to do? Go hire an attorney? Yea right. I will just walk away if it comes to that, but you can bet your rearend I will be on every social media platform out there letting everyone know what happens.

Last edited by ColinR; 07-28-2021 at 09:27 AM.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 09:34 AM   #14
BlackoutRam2500
Eight Point

This happened to a buddy of mine who ordered a Ram 1500. Argued back and forth for nearly a month about price before they met him in the middle on a truck he had to wait nearly 3 months to come in.

I blame the manufacturers though. They are so **** greedy. They really should be evaluating these dealerships and making sure their customer service and sales practices are good.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
BlackoutRam2500 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 09:38 AM   #15
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Maybe a few calls to this Grand Prairie dealership from multiple people. Would be nice to know the salesman name or a rep she used?
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 09:42 AM   #16
Ginja Ninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Val Verde, London

That aint right.
Ginja Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 09:52 AM   #17
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Was Polk Ford, read the same story.

If you have a contract for ordered Bronco, I would go after them for allowing folks to test drive my vehicle.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 09:54 AM   #18
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Sounds like a place run by cool dads....
88 Bound is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 10:12 AM   #19
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

The last time I had to deal with Ford, they said "All dealerships are independently owned. You have to deal with the dealership. We won't help you." This involved a big nationally advertised campaign. To this day I won't ever have a Ford.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 10:13 AM   #20
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

It's not the mfg, it's the individual dealers & Ford is notorious w/ Dodge not too far behind...if the dealers cared they would have punished those who play in ADM decades ago.

It's an old game.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 10:27 AM   #21
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
This!!!
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 10:29 AM   #22
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch View Post
i love my ford foxbody mustangs, but ****ed if ford will ever see a penny of my money on one of the newer products... yall can have them fancy pickemups ill stick to my jap ride
Cool.....
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 10:34 AM   #23
pdevoto
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kimbal and Austin Co.

Sounds like they had a contract the minute the Dealership accepted their deposit. This has happened before and the Dealers always lost.
pdevoto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 10:38 AM   #24
CaptainDave
Ten Point

That's BS. I've ordered a few vehicles over the years (not Fords) and never had an issue. Price was agreed and deposit was put down upon placing the order. It never even crossed my mind that a dealership would come back with a different price when the vehicle came in. That literally defeats the purpose of ordering a vehicle. You are ordering to get exactly what you want and are willing to wait multiple months to get it. If these new Broncos are in such high demand, that overage fee, price premium or whatever they want to call it should be tacked on the price up-front when placing the order. I still think that type of fee is BS, but at least the customer would know it up-front.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #25
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Car dealers are not under contract for anything LOL. You get first dibs at the car. That's about it. This is pretty common industry practice, the big three all do this.

For example, I went to order a GT500, and not one dealership would not allow me to put money down. Reason being, it's a high demand car, which each dealership only gets a certain allocation, and if someone walks in willing to pay more than me, guess what, the dealer is selling it to them, even if it's built to my specs. Not to mention, there were "required" options (the carbon fiber package), because the dealer did not want to sell a car that didn't have a spec that most folks want. The dealer was very up front about this. He said we will call you shortly before it comes in, so you can be here as we take it off the truck to sign paperwork. The dealer refused to take any money up front.

Why your friend would put $39k down is beyond me.

Last edited by WItoTX; 07-28-2021 at 10:40 AM. Reason: .
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 10:43 AM   #26
MossyRockRanch
Six Point

Hunt In: Jack County

Its not just Ford and that dealer playing games right now. Employee of mine had similar situation in Little Rock and he told them to pound sand as they wanted an additional 6k after they agreed on a price. Terrible time to try and buy a car.......
MossyRockRanch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 10:50 AM   #27
McPatrickClan
Ten Point

The car business is pretty rough. I worked in it for years. Most of the staff at dealerships are there to make money... period. If they can make more by jumping to another dealership or another line of work... they will. Fast.

The dealerships are struggling right now because of the chip shortage. Their inventory has been reduced by over 75% in some cases. If they used to get 100 cars in a month, they are not getting 25 or less new cars. The unfinished autos are sitting in Arlington, Detroit, etc. waiting for their chips.

This is causing a lot of dealerships to panic and do business differently than they have in years.
McPatrickClan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 10:53 AM   #28
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
I'm pretty sure i didn't say she put $39k down .. i said she put a deposit down ...

they told her that the price as ordered was going to be $39k .. now they want $60k.

Just clarifying what I actually said.. vs what you said I said... for the record.
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #29
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

I didn’t think you could touch a new bronco for under 50k….!

I’ve heard problems like this with all three big manufacturers over my years- doesn’t make it right at all though.

I think a whole lot more of these issues will be surfaced with the way things are going!

Has Anyone Ever ordered a vehicle and received it as originally ordered?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #30
Katsaregood
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
The dealerships are struggling right now because of the chip shortage. Their inventory has been reduced by over 75% in some cases. If they used to get 100 cars in a month, they are not getting 25 or less new cars. The unfinished autos are sitting in Arlington, Detroit, etc. waiting for their chips.

This is causing a lot of dealerships to panic and do business differently than they have in years.

Was surprised to see a closed and vacant Ford dealership in a small town now overflowing with new pickups probably waiting on chips. That dealership had closed down several years ago. I should’ve snapped a photo.
Katsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 11:04 AM   #31
Palmetto
Ten Point

I just bought a new suburban. It was hard to find one with the specs I wanted. I searched dealer inventories on the chevrolet website, and called on close to 20 that fit my specs. They were all listed as "in transit", were spoken for, and had not made it to the lot yet. Someone I got lucky and found the one I wanted in Austin. The guy that had first dibs turned it down, and I was able to scoop it up. Two other people tried buying it out from under me, and I had to get crappy with the sales manager. But it turned out good for us in the end.

I say all that to say this.....Almost all dealerships are selling suburbans at MSRP + "market adjustment". In calling all those dealerships, I saw "market adjustments" from $1k to $10k dollars. CRAZY! I only found one dealership that wasn't doing the added money, and they had just sold the one I wanted!!
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 11:09 AM   #32
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cool places with Cool people

As someone who is going through the process, she did not get a loaded Bronco for $39K. We reserved first day and have a first day order date, and I hope we get it by Christmas.

Something seems off in the story.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #33
DedDuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: East and West TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
As someone who is going through the process, she did not get a loaded Bronco for $39K. We reserved first day and have a first day order date, and I hope we get it by Christmas.

Something seems off in the story.
She didnt get one at all.
DedDuk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 11:21 AM   #34
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I just assumed the 39 was the balance but honestly didn't keep up with sticker??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 11:26 AM   #35
SabineHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Car dealers are not under contract for anything LOL. You get first dibs at the car. That's about it. This is pretty common industry practice, the big three all do this.

For example, I went to order a GT500, and not one dealership would not allow me to put money down. Reason being, it's a high demand car, which each dealership only gets a certain allocation, and if someone walks in willing to pay more than me, guess what, the dealer is selling it to them, even if it's built to my specs. Not to mention, there were "required" options (the carbon fiber package), because the dealer did not want to sell a car that didn't have a spec that most folks want. The dealer was very up front about this. He said we will call you shortly before it comes in, so you can be here as we take it off the truck to sign paperwork. The dealer refused to take any money up front.

Hmmmmmm......where did you read she put 39k down as deposit? oh, that was the price, not the deposit. LOL
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 11:26 AM   #36
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

I’m very surprised to see that the entry level for a 21 bronco is 30k- I don’t know if that comes with wheels tires and motor but that’s what it shows.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #37
bowhuntermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado

I did one of the first day orders as well, and with all the bells and whistles I'm knocking on $50k. $39K sounds really light for one with very many options.
bowhuntermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #38
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm pretty sure i didn't say she put $39k down .. i said she put a deposit down ...

they told her that the price as ordered was going to be $39k .. now they want $60k.

Just clarifying what I actually said.. vs what you said I said... for the record.
Did they actually tell her the price was going to be $39K or did she assume it because that was the MSRP on the build sheet? Easy to get the two confused, but two totally different animals.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:14 PM   #39
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntermac View Post
I did one of the first day orders as well, and with all the bells and whistles I'm knocking on $50k. $39K sounds really light for one with very many options.
I built a few decently optioned ones for $39-40K a couple weeks ago just out of curiousity. It was very doable, but definitely not loaded.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #40
Capuchin Monkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land

i just read this story over on bronco6g.com
Capuchin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 03:00 PM   #41
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Atoka County OK

I saw this on Facebook yesterday
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 03:06 PM   #42
Humper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

You think that’s crazy, look at C8 corvettes. $20-30k over MSRP. Guys order them at around $80k. When they come in they drive them for a month and then sell them for $105k plus and a quick profit.
Humper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 03:16 PM   #43
RR 314
Pope & Young

I would start off with four letters----DTPA. If she truly contracted to buy it for 39 and they told her the price was now 60 I would hammer them.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 03:27 PM   #44
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:

Ahh, yeah the 39k was right after deposit. My bad. Either way, doesn't change that its par for the course on a high demand vehicle. It's annoying, but its just the way it is. I am sure a small town dealer would be more courteous than to allow others to drive it, but anything near a big city, for sure the dealer is trying to sell the the highest bidder ASAP.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #45
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

I had the same experience with Ford of boerne, f350 high $50,000’s , go to pick it up
And sign finalized P.O it’s now +$77,000 , sales manager said I could write a check for the difference, bank car buying service had 2x heck to get a refund check
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 03:39 PM   #46
no bait
Eight Point

Anyone with a computer and $100 deposit can order a Bronco.
no bait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #47
toledo
Ten Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

Car buying is a big enough nut kick as is, can't imagine wanting one bad enough to deal with the current BS.
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 05:15 PM   #48
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

I predict there will be a lot of people holding onto vehicles for a lot longer, like it used to be. drive it until the repairs cost more than a new one.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 05:29 PM   #49
boy wonder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My dreams!

I just bought a new Tacoma yesterday, no issues. I did have to watch and pounce.
boy wonder is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #50
Txfshrmn
Four Point

Hunt In: Young County...

39 K for a Bronco is trolling. Sticker for base is straight up like 33,000 and with TT&L you'd have to be close to 39... Yes there may be a temporary shortage in new vehicles due to shut downs but it's temporary.
Txfshrmn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top