Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pheasant mount came back, not my bird.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a different bird to me. I would be PO'ed as well.

Comment

I rearranged the photos. 1 & 2 is my husband’s bird. 3-5 is what we got back. Different bird. One we got back has white lacing on gold neck feathers much more predominantly that one be shot. Tail feathers look cut/trimmed and barring doesn’t match. Our bird was pristine when we dropped it off and he even commented on how perfect it was - said he could tell it was a wild bird vs cage raised because feathers were so nice.

Comment

Tail feathers often get pulled and put back on the bird later in the process. Looks like the same bird to me. Tail feathers are damaged though.

Comment

good luck on resolving the issue

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
            good luck on resolving the issue
            My birds long gone. He doesn't have it and neither do I.
            Last edited by friscopaint; 07-27-2021, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
              Tail feathers often get pulled and put back on the bird later in the process. Looks like the same bird to me. Tail feathers are damaged though.
              Somewhat an important detail when mounting a pheasant......

Comment

I see same bird potentially as well just different tail feathers

Comment

Wow. I’d want my money back.

Comment

On the other hand, we were very very happy with how Erick’s Taxidermy in Decatur mounted my Axis deer - 5 stars for him! While my husband is an avid hunter, it was my very first deer ever (had never shot a gun before meeting my husband, so he taught me!) and even finished it a little ahead of what he quoted. Here’s my deer
                    This gallery hosted by SmugMug; your photos look better here.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      Wow. I’d want my money back.
                      He offered money back immediately. I want my pheasant but that's not gonna happen. $500 doesn't make a big difference in my life, its not about the money. I've killed lots of pheasants and when I picked this one up off the ground I was like WOW.......was so careful with it, immediately put in pantyhose and into freezer. Then get back a bird those doesn't resemble mine........I'm bummed out over it. Done being ****** now just bummed, don't even want it in the house.

Comment

Definitely not the same bird.

which taxidermist did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                          He offered money back immediately. I want my pheasant but that's not gonna happen. $500 doesn't make a big difference in my life, its not about the money. I've killed lots of pheasants and when I picked this one up off the ground I was like WOW.......was so careful with it, immediately put in pantyhose and into freezer. Then get back a bird those doesn't resemble mine........I'm bummed out over it. Done being ****** now just bummed, don't even want it in the house.

Taxidermists now days actually dread taking in birds that have been put in pantyhose. A lot of times feathers get broken or the feather barbs get torn due to this old method. Best practice is to let the birds body temp cool down, then either place in a freezer ziploc bag, or a garbage bag with the air pushed out for your bigger birds such as pheasants/geese.

Comment

Originally posted by One_Shot View Post
                            Taxidermists now days actually dread taking in birds that have been put in pantyhose. A lot of times feathers get broken or the feather barbs get torn due to this old method. Best practice is to let the birds body temp cool down, then either place in a freezer ziploc bag, or a garbage bag with the air pushed out for your bigger birds such as pheasants/geese.
                            Which is fine but he pulled it out and commented on how great a bird it was. Immediately said its a wild bird, we asked how did he know that, and he said because feathers are in such great shape and pen raised birds feathers get rough.....

Comment

That's a bummer for sure. However the mixup happened, it does sound like the taxidermist is willing to make it as close to right as he can by giving you a refund and a free mount in addition to that. If your bird is lost, I don't know what else he could do to make it right. Doesn't bring your bird back, but at least it gives you a reason to go hunt pheasants again. I sure hope you get one even prettier next time - and you get the right bird back.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                                That's a bummer for sure. However the mixup happened, it does sound like the taxidermist is willing to make it as close to right as he can by giving you a refund and a free mount in addition to that. If your bird is lost, I don't know what else he could do to make it right. Doesn't bring your bird back, but at least it gives you a reason to go hunt pheasants again. I sure hope you get one even prettier next time - and you get the right bird back.
                                Which is why I won't mention his name or business. I don't get the opportunity anymore, crp is gone and so are pheasants. He's doing the best he can given the circumstances, just sucks, we were so excited to get it back then all the air went out of the balloon.

Comment

Working...
                                X