No announcement yet.

White wing migration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the Drought out west is pushing them down. Hope they stick around til September.

Comment

My bird feeder in Spring has more WW(20 is the most at one time) than mourning doves at it any given time. They are mean birds too.

Comment

I've lived here in San Antonio since 1980 and whitewings have always migrated in in early spring and migrated out early fall. Basically, migrating in late February/March and out in September. Doesn't take much of a cool front or rainstorm to have them start leaving in September.

Some do stay here year around. But nothing like summer numbers.

Comment

Strange to hear to movement in areas and lack of in others. All the rain this year I hope they show. I know doves like it hot and dry but we are neither here. Good amount of mourning doves here now, but ready for September either way.

Comment

Numbers are great in the RGV. Hurricane will push them out so fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
              Who’s birds have shown up? Few folks I know in south texas say their birds are in. I’m in Sealy, very few if any yet.
              I'm in Harlingen. I could shoot a limit in my back yard every day. If we don't get a big storm, it's going to be awesome down here this year. Teal hunting is going to be stupid too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
                I'm in Harlingen. I could shoot a limit in my back yard every day. If we don't get a big storm, it's going to be awesome down here this year. Teal hunting is going to be stupid too.
                Nice the summer rain this year across the state is crazy.

Comment

First white wings hit my sunflower field today! They just need to bring a bunch of their buddies.

Comment

I noticed more doves than usual flying yesterday evening in Cat Spring. Had a conversation with my wife about it. nice timing on the topic!

Comment

Interesting topic. I have read where some WW's migrate south from Texas into Mexico and beyond so it makes since that any North Texas birds would head that way.

I do think that when fields get ripe and prepped for hunting come August/Sept it concentrates the birds so you see way more than when they are spread out during the early summer.

Its very cool watching massive flocks of WW's pour out of cities like Waco/Robinson every morning and evening heading off to feed in August/Sept.

Comment

From what I understand, in the fall birds migrate to the RGV to feed before going to Mexico. The birds in Mexico will come up to the us side to feed in the fall before returning to Mexico. With the weather changes a lot just hang year around and live in the cities. Need cool weather and no rain in August for white Wings

Comment

Originally posted by Speck View Post
                          I noticed more doves than usual flying yesterday evening in Cat Spring. Had a conversation with my wife about it. nice timing on the topic!
                          Good deal! Your right down the road. Are you see white wings or mourning doves over there? Im not picky, but sure like to shoot the white wings and they seem to be much more consistent to a food source and staying when fronts hit than the mournings.

Comment

As already mentioned we have really good numbers in the RGV right now. Even in town I've been shocked by how many dove I'm already seeing. Sure makes me look forward to September!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                              As already mentioned we have really good numbers in the RGV right now. Even in town I've been shocked by how many dove I'm already seeing. Sure makes me look forward to September!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Yep palmview area is showing herds of em as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

we have a lot of them in North Texas for the past few years (north of DFW).
                                Come dove season they disappear. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                                X