No announcement yet.

2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty much have to spray them. Just do it when bees are the least active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
      Cucumber vines are rockin' it. Making about 10 jars of pickles per week.

I killed three squash bugs this morning and have a bunch of these little guys everywhere. What are they? I sprayed all leaves (both sides) with Triazicide. We'll see what that does.
      What are they?
      How bad will they wreck the vines?
      Best method of control?

I hate knowing I'm killing bees, but I also prefer eating pickles over bees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
      Striped cucumber beetles. I've never had a major issue with them but they can be detrimental to your crop for sure. I've heard sticky traps work but have no experience with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post

I’m pulling about 20 cherry tomatoes a day and these two plants keep cranking them out
        mine are doing the same but the larger tomatoes put on blooms and then fall off and never set. What would cause that?

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
          mine are doing the same but the larger tomatoes put on blooms and then fall off and never set. What would cause that?
          No pollination on the blooms in time before they dropped. If you don't have a good amount of pollinators, you can hand pollinate your tomato plants. Several videos on YT on the subject.
          Last edited by No-Tox; 07-02-2021, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
            . mine are doing the same but the larger tomatoes put on blooms and then fall off and never set. What would cause that?
            I had that problem last year. Solution for me was to lightly shake the entire plant for about 10 seconds. Mine are all in super heavy duty cages I made. I hold the cage and shake shake shake. I do this every morning.

Comment

Inexpensive vibrating toothbrush held against the stem just below the blooms works well for tomato pollination. It may be too late this year as I believe that most tomatos need night time temps below 70 degrees to set fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                I had that problem last year. Solution for me was to lightly shake the entire plant for about 10 seconds. Mine are all in super heavy duty cages I made. I hold the cage and shake shake shake. I do this every morning.
                You should actually 'vibrate' them between 11am-2pm. Seriously

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                  You should actually 'vibrate' them between 11am-2pm. Seriously
                  I had read first thing in the morning and that worked pretty well. Why then?

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                    I had read first thing in the morning and that worked pretty well. Why then?
                    From what I understand, this is the most productive time for pollination. Has something to do with temp, daylight, bee activity, etc. I've never had to do it, but read that somewhere. Certainly not the gospel by any means. I also don't like to touch my plants early in the morning when dew is on the plants. Tends to help spread disease, mold, etc. I usually pick and work in the garden mid morn after the dew is gone but it's still cool outside. Fruit usually is a little 'sweeter' when picked in the morning.

Comment

Army worm?

Found this guy next to a chewed up okra....
                      Attached Files

Comment

It is always delightful to read such posts. I like to understand that I am not the only one passionate about gardening and this whole topic of growing products. It is essential for me that my garden is clean too. To do this, I spend a lot of time in the garden, cleaning leaves or weeds. It is especially important in the fall, but it isn't easy physically. I even bought a special vacuum cleaner to blow up the leaves and learned how to clean it myself with the help of an article https://trimthatweed.com/how-to-clea...a-leaf-blower/. I hope you also love your work as much as I do; otherwise, why do it at all? Good luck to everyone

Comment

I’ve learned so much this year from my first garden and from following this thread. It’s been a good ride. I wasn’t going to do a fall garden but I’m rethinking that.

One thing I learned is that I had no idea how big my tomato plants would get. Jeez, these things are huge. I staked them but that’s been almost worthless. Next year I’ll use welded wire panels for trellises.

Comment

Well my garden has just about petered out. Still getting some peppers and okra. Cucumber every now and then. It's been fun.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                              Well my garden has just about petered out. Still getting some peppers and okra. Cucumber every now and then. It's been fun.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Awesome pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

have several tomato plants that have done well. They are in half-barrel planters, lots of blooms, no issues ... until now.
                                The plants are starting to wilt in random places on the vines. The planters are under our patio and they get adequate water and feed.

Any ideas what this is?

Comment

Working...
                                X