Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-08-2021, 02:17 PM   #51
BigCountry101
Four Point

After reading your other responses, especially the part about making the same for past 2 years, I think I would polish up the resume and look for greener pastures. Sounds like there is too much to try to fix and they are unwilling. Seems like there is a high demand for workers right now and good time to look around; discreetly.
BigCountry101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 02:30 PM   #52
TxBowHntr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry101 View Post
After reading your other responses, especially the part about making the same for past 2 years, I think I would polish up the resume and look for greener pastures. Sounds like there is too much to try to fix and they are unwilling. Seems like there is a high demand for workers right now and good time to look around; discreetly.
I agree.
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #53
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
fify. My advice: stop talking, put in the work, and go home. Providing you like the job. Jackasses anywhere you go. I know a guy who quit a very good job because of someone else. Turns out that "someone else" was fired within 6 months.
Good advice !
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 03:17 PM   #54
RR 314
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stites_Bites View Post
Heís just one I know about for sure. I think that my office manager who I have also voiced concerns with has started to spew a bit too much as well. I bring obvious problems to her attention and she equates that to me not being able to handle the environment.

To put it in perspectiveÖ I work 9-10 hour days and make less than others working 7. Iíve been here 2 years and they have been here less.

Just hate feeling as if Iím being taken advantage of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Time to secure a new job.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #55
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

From the outside looking in here and recent comments from OP, you are the one who sounds disgruntled rather than a "toxic" work place. Hope it all works out for you bud, work rich environment.
bbqfan5909 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 04:09 PM   #56
centex_aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County, Williamson County, Burnet County

This definitely sounds like a case where you need to leverage yourself. Either you are doing a lot of work and need to negotiate your salary/work hours or you are over inflating your value. Get another job offer in hand and use that to negotiate for what you want. If you donít get it then take the new job.

centex_aggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 04:23 PM   #57
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Don't bring management problems, bring them solutions.
Unless your management is full of insecure hacks who think any employee who goes above and beyond is gunning for their job. But, if that's the case, might as well look for another job anyway.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #58
jer_james
Pope & Young

If it's in your head that much - just move on.

Otherwise just work hard and keep your mouth shut. If you have to say something, find somebody who you aint working with to tell about it.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 05:00 PM   #59
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclifton View Post
So im going to be blunt. As im in MGMT.

If your making less than the people working 7 hrs and you guys are on the same level then either you are not doing as good of a job as you think and MGMT notices it. Or if you know for sure you are doing a better job then those making more and are earning it. Then maybe you should move on as it sounds like you may not be appreciated by the company and there are always companies looking for hard workers.

All of my guys that gripe about wanting a raise etc. Do nothing more to warrant one. The guys that get raises seldom ever say a word about a raise and work their asses off so they get one. Its hard to get that into some peoples head.

I'm just being honest and trying to give you something to consider i know this doesn't address your OP but I'm responding to your statement above.

The bolded is spot on. I have never once asked for a raise and I have always been given raises. Raises aren't given because you ask, they are given because they are earned.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #60
db@100
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by centex_aggie View Post
This definitely sounds like a case where you need to leverage yourself. Either you are doing a lot of work and need to negotiate your salary/work hours or you are over inflating your value. Get another job offer in hand and use that to negotiate for what you want. If you donít get it then take the new job.

I disagree with part of this statement. Do find you another job. Then give a two week notice and tell your boss you found a better paying job. If he offers you more money just say 'NO THANKS". If you are worth more money today, why didn't he give you more before.

You should not have to ask for a raise. A raise should be given to you when you deserve it.

Maybe you are being ask to work overtime because your boss figures you will get the work done and the others won't.
db@100 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 06:05 PM   #61
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

your bud sounds like a brown noser.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #62
Bigdaddy
Ten Point

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
fify. My advice: stop talking, put in the work, and go home. Providing you like the job. Jackasses anywhere you go. I know a guy who quit a very good job because of someone else. Turns out that "someone else" was fired within 6 months.
Today I left a job I was 5 weeks. My supervisor was so negative and made horrible comments constantly. Iím told old to put up it life is too short. I only gave a three day notice. My industry you give notice they walk u out
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 06:44 PM   #63
critter69
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Just turn it around now, when you talk to him only talk about the positive things in your job. Never the negative, or bad about someone. Even if he brings negative issues, counter with a positive. You know what’s he’s doing, don’t play his game.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 07:55 PM   #64
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
To put it simplyÖ I get paid hourly. Everyone around me gets paid per hour as well. I am one of 2 employees that will get asked to work more than 40 hours a week nearly every week. I started off hungry and eager and would always try and go above and beyond. I put my head down and did it often. Iím realizing now that Iím getting more and more responsibilities thrust at me with no incentive to keep grinding like I used to. I havenít made a cent more than I did when I started 2 years agoÖ. So I simply asked if the work load could be equally distributed if I wasnít getting a raise. They didnít like the fact that I wanted others to match my hours I guess?

Now Iím seen as someone who complains. I made the naive mistake in thinking that I could comfortably voice these concerns.

So you worked hard, and the company recognized you as someone they can count on, and instead of discussing in a professional manner how much you contribute and ask for an increase in your hourly wedges, you focused on how the work could be more distributed to others. And the co-worker you decided to share you're displeasure with let the Management know where you are in dissatisfaction.

I don't point this out to slam you. Just wanting you to recognize a different direction you could have gone. Lesson learned.

Upside to this situation is you still have choices.

1 - Go talk to your boss and level set why you're frustrated. Keep it professional and ask for a raise. And don't bring up you feel you've complained and this information has been shared. Keep it at the high level and point out how you contribute and how you can continue to contribute and be counted on.

2 - Find a new job. If you're going to do this, do option 1 first. You have nothing to lose because if you're ready to find a new job then you have nothing to lose.

A lot of good information has been stated here, so compartmentalize it, and learn from it. But, the bottom line is you need the situation to change, so go change it.

Good luck and prayer's sent
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:01 PM   #65
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Solid advice. I think the main issue I face is that Iím being asked to pull back on my quality of work to do more work. My quality is what I thought helped me stand out. Others skip out on quality severely in an attempt to try and do more.

But the thing is I still am doing more than 75% of my co workers with the same quality.

They seem to have a sour view of me because I make it apparent that the workload is not equal. That was my mistake I guess. Those acting like helpful ears decided to start talking about me.

I had a buddy that was in his late 20ís and worked for one of the largest consulting firms. He wound up on a 3 year project with one of the partners. My buddy was very sharp and went above and beyond. After a few years he asked for a raise and the response he got was crazy ď you make enough money for someone your ageĒ! Needless to say he started interviewing and was hired immediately for triple his original pay.

The thing him and I discussed all the time was ď why would they pay you more or promote you when you are making everyone above you look like a king?Ē Sometimes you need to find your real worth in another company.

Good luck and lessons learned be very careful who you trust in the work place.

manwitaplan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:28 PM   #66
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Bad work environment

Iím getting tired of mine. Not saying itís bad but Iíve been here for 19 years and been Loyal as heck but they keep adding sales reps and cutting territories.

Been thinking about leaving a Fortune 500 company and moving to a smaller company looking to grow.
Tired of all the number reporting and tracking with the territories getting smaller and smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Black Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2021, 12:34 AM   #67
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Heís just one I know about for sure. I think that my office manager who I have also voiced concerns with has started to spew a bit too much as well. I bring obvious problems to her attention and she equates that to me not being able to handle the environment.

To put it in perspectiveÖ I work 9-10 hour days and make less than others working 7. Iíve been here 2 years and they have been here less.

Just hate feeling as if Iím being taken advantage of.

You either keep on working there unhappy or move along! Find another job and put in your 2 weeks notice! If you are that valuable then they will bump your money up and work hard to fix the problems! But then again, if they are allowing this crap to happen you probably donít want to work for them anymore.
Bucknaked is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2021, 01:08 AM   #68
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Solid advice. I think the main issue I face is that I’m being asked to pull back on my quality of work to do more work. My quality is what I thought helped me stand out. Others skip out on quality severely in an attempt to try and do more.

But the thing is I still am doing more than 75% of my co workers with the same quality.

They seem to have a sour view of me because I make it apparent that the workload is not equal. That was my mistake I guess. Those acting like helpful ears decided to start talking about me.

Simple advice:

It's a dog-eat-dog-world out in the work place. Sad times for sure. Trust me on this, any employee, namely your co-workers that get "shown up" to be slackers due to your work ethic/hard work are not going to be your friends. All this "talk" about being team players is a joke at most work places. A lot of people are serpents in the grass and will strike at any the opportunity much less when their lazy ***es get exposed.

Seek out other dedicated/hard workers like youself. Most large work places have a hand full of workers and a ****ton of whiners/drama queens. Complaints and ******** are similar in that we all have them. Keep both to yourself and don't trust anyone with either.

Lastly, you mentioned "they" (I will assume management) have given you an expanded work load. Guess what, that means they see your dedication/hard work. They are overlooking the fact they have not rewarded you with a raise; let them know in a private setting like their office. Approach this with an I am happy to do as much as I can attitude and would just like to be compensated accordingly.

Last edited by Pedernal; 07-09-2021 at 01:19 AM.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2021, 09:38 AM   #69
CEO
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, MO, CO

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
CEO is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2021, 02:00 PM   #70
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

Itís called work! Not happy happy fun time! Donít say anything you wouldnít tell your boss at work and you will be fine. If other people are making more than you itís probably cause they produce more than you. If not you need to look elsewhere! Itís not what you know itís who you know for the most part.
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2021, 10:54 AM   #71
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
seems like this workplace has its more then its fair share of those looking to advance, and not give two cents on how they get up the ladder,
but now it seems management are turning Jelly Fish, no spin
sure does make for a bad attitude when one knows nothing will done about any of the known problems going on
Head down, go in do your job and get out. is the new norm for some
You ain't wrong.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #72
Ksbowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa

Only complain to those who can do something about it. Otherwise vent to someone outside the organization. Life advice
Ksbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2021, 02:11 PM   #73
trophy8
Pope & Young

Lots of people are snakes. And the better you are at your job, the bigger target you have on your back.

Outperform. Outwork. Outclass them. The third is my hardest to master. As I get older I learn more about these. Some the easy way. Some the hard way. But it takes awhile to trust these days.

I’m one who believes if I want more money I work harder. I don’t ask for one. If I want more and it doesn’t come in time (usually does) I suppose I’d find somewhere else. But aside from one occasion I’ve been taken care of well.

Highly experienced, hard workers are hard to find. Grind it out and get there. Good luck man.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2021, 04:51 PM   #74
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

[QUOTE=Dusty Britches;15692706]^^^ Ditto.

Backstabbers are everywhere and they will use the knife in your back to climb the ladder.

If you have a complaint, think about it. If it is worthy to talk face to face with your boss or your boss's boss, then talk only to them about it. If it is not, then keep your mouth shut.[/QUOTE

then, don't trust what your boss tells ya.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2021, 10:48 PM   #75
JANKEII
Four Point

Hunt In: Gatesville

If you feel you are being worked more than others, and not getting paid accordingly. I think Obama put into law about inequality.
It's called EQUAL PAY ACT.
JANKEII is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2021, 11:16 PM   #76
locknload
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorton, Hamilton Counties

Its not so much the work its the managers and leadership that make you look elsewhere.
locknload is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2021, 02:15 PM   #77
sasqy
Ten Point

Hunt In: my sasquatch suit

My boss is totally mean !
Gives no breaks. Won’t listen to anything I say regardless if it’s good or bad.
I’ve been here 20 years without a raise. He is a total hard az.
But he lets me go hunting when ever I want and allows me to come back each year after deer season.
I have been self employed for 20 years.
Luckily my boss and I think alike.
sasqy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #78
GarGuy
Pope & Young

I have been a supervisor in some capacity for many years. At one point I had 735 direct employees. It is possible for a good worker to get overlooked but not very often. I always HATED a whiner. Now a self confident individual that came into my office to tell me how they have stepped up and taken on more responsibility gets respect and more attention. If they are stepping up and it went unnoticed, they get compensated and promoted.

The same individual turns out to be just a whiner... they need to get on down the road.
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2021, 03:28 PM   #79
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

Quote:
To put it simplyÖ I get paid hourly. Everyone around me gets paid per hour as well. I am one of 2 employees that will get asked to work more than 40 hours a week nearly every week. I started off hungry and eager and would always try and go above and beyond. I put my head down and did it often. Iím realizing now that Iím getting more and more responsibilities thrust at me with no incentive to keep grinding like I used to. I havenít made a cent more than I did when I started 2 years agoÖ. So I simply asked if the work load could be equally distributed if I wasnít getting a raise. They didnít like the fact that I wanted others to match my hours I guess?

Now Iím seen as someone who complains. I made the naive mistake in thinking that I could comfortably voice these concerns.

That's not just you, that's crappy management. Been there, done that.

I have been salary for years, considered a "exempt" employee (not really management, but not labor either) I worked at a company for several years and put up with it. No raise, no bonus. I would work 12-16 hours per day, which was expected. Then, my boss would write me up if I came in at 8:15. (work hours were 8-5) Yeah, it was toxic. I was glad to leave there. I should not have put up with it for as long as I did.

Cut your losses, and find another gig. It will not improve for you. It's time to move on, and remember the lesson you learned here.
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top