No announcement yet.

Nice or naive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to be the one who would help out with a bit of cash, probably too often. I started a new job a few years ago, and my office is two blocks off I-10. I have to pass under 10 and then stop at a light on the feeder road beside an overpass where a large group of homeless live. I have seen 4 or 5 of the same people begging on the corner for almost the entire time. Several of these people I have bought a second breakfast or lunch for and tried to give it to them and have had them turn it down and asked for money instead. These people are pushy and will walk right up next to your window, standing within feet of it looking straight at you and putting on an Oscar award winning act with tears and all. It's unfortunate because I know many of these people have fallen on hard times and do want to better themselves, but the "colony" living under that overpass has set in stone that I will no longer help out to people begging on a corner.

Comment

“In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”
      **Matthew‬ *5:16‬ *ESV‬‬

Just keep being the light!

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
        First one was an unbelievable gesture, second one was sketchy just from the start. I am always carrying and never feel comfortable when someone approaches me at the pump. I know it is not right, but I always judge them and feel like I "know" if I am being played when they ask for money. Same thing with a homeless person, I always offer to buy them food instead of giving them cash...
        A friend told me this a few years ago “ what if it was Jesus “ ! I used to carry very little cash on me but I’ve started carrying extra 5’s, 10’s, 20’s ETc… and ask Jesus to guide me. It’s not bad at all to be totally aware of your surroundings and we have to be especially now. If I’m at a gas station and someone approaches me I start praying and the Holy Spirit guides me. Sometimes I’ll fill up their tank and go purchase them a meal. If they are begging for a dollar or some money outside of a convenience store I’ll offer to take them in and purchase them food and drink- sometimes they get angry because they just want alcohol and I will not purchase them alcohol. If their on street corners and the traffic is safe I’ll donate to them ! It doesn’t matter if they misuse the funds because that is between them and God, but if I don’t give from my heart then that could also be between God and me.

You did great !

Comment

Thanks, Agdog, Low Fence, Kevin and others - I tell myself everyday to be the light that shines the way to Him. If I'm not being the light that pierces the darkness how will others find their way?

As far as the gas station - I go there often because it is large, clean, well lit, has cameras everywhere, and at 6:30 in the morning generally the only people you see are workers. The station also has lots of employees who have been there a long time. All of these tell me the location is a good one. For those familiar with BCS, it was the Stripes on Briarcrest.

That first guy that I helped was almost in tears and kept asking why I was being so nice. I told him that someone once helped me in the same way and I felt that I was right where God wanted me to be, doing what He wanted me to do. He even asked what my husband was going to say when I told him. I laughed, nothing. (And he didn't say anything of it.)

I still think goodness and grace reigns, even though you don't read about it in the news.

Comment

For a short period of time I worked for Waco Transit. There is a guy that begs on the corner of 84 and I-35. Every weekday at 5-6 pm a Waco Transit bus picks him up at the HEB and takes him home to Speegilvile. He was VERY rude and judgmental on my driving simply because I stopped at a yield sign because of oncoming traffic.

Then there is another guy that used to regularly panhandle at Lakeshore and I-35. He walks with a really bad limp, until the light turns green. Once he turns around and walks back towards I-35 his limp magically disappears. Then it comes back when he turns to walk past the stopped cars.

I’ll go out of my way to help someone, but people like this that abuse people’s kindness have made me very cautious. Follow your gut and your heart and God will never steer you wrong.

Comment

Look at it this way. Every year you pay taxes, to a government that you know 100% is wasting it and lying to your face. With a stranger the odds are a little better. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by RedBear78 View Post
                That sums things up quite nicely you never know when your being used by Holy Spirit
                Yep

Comment

I'll generally give somebody a few dollars and/or help out if I can, but one particular guy in Lubbock has really soured my attitude about giving money.

He approached me while I was loading groceries into my pickup at Walmart wearing a Vietnam vet cap and explained that he and his mother hit a curb and cracked a rim on their car, and they were short a few dollars to replace it. (The car had a spare on it at the time, so I believed him) He also said he was a vet and even me showed his military ID. He then told me he'd wash my pickup for me for if I'd give him a few dollars. I told him him not to worry about it and handed him $20 and went on my way.

A couple months later I was leaving Chuy's after eating with a few friends and a guy came up and told me he was a veteran and asked if I had a few extra dollars to spare. I didn't have any cash on me, so he moved on to one of my buddies. About the time he was walking away, I realized it was the same guy I'd encountered a couple months ago. I called my buddy afterwards and asked what he told him, and come to find out, he told him the exact same story about his car that he'd told me months before. We were both ticked that we'd been screwed out of a few dollars.

In the time since, that same guy has told me that same story five different times in five different places around Lubbock. I've had words with him about it twice, and he admitted both times that he was lying and that it wouldn't happen again. (Turns out that was another lie) I also know four friends of mine that have encountered the same guy at least once.

The part of it that really pi$$es me off the most is that he always has to point out that he's a veteran. I'm about as much of a supporter of our military as you can be and that was the main reason I helped him out the first time. It makes me mad that he's using that and giving our vets a bad reputation.

With that being said, if you are ever in the Lubbock area and a guy named Cecil tells you he's a vet and is having car trouble, don't give that POS any money.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                    I'll generally give somebody a few dollars and/or help out if I can, but one particular guy in Lubbock has really soured my attitude about giving money.

He approached me while I was loading groceries into my pickup at Walmart wearing a Vietnam vet cap and explained that he and his mother hit a curb and cracked a rim on their car, and they were short a few dollars to replace it. (The car had a spare on it at the time, so I believed him) He also said he was a vet and even me showed his military ID. He then told me he'd wash my pickup for me for if I'd give him a few dollars. I told him him not to worry about it and handed him $20 and went on my way.

A couple months later I was leaving Chuy's after eating with a few friends and a guy came up and told me he was a veteran and asked if I had a few extra dollars to spare. I didn't have any cash on me, so he moved on to one of my buddies. About the time he was walking away, I realized it was the same guy I'd encountered a couple months ago. I called my buddy afterwards and asked what he told him, and come to find out, he told him the exact same story about his car that he'd told me months before. We were both ticked that we'd been screwed out of a few dollars.

In the time since, that same guy has told me that same story five different times in five different places around Lubbock. I've had words with him about it twice, and he admitted both times that he was lying and that it wouldn't happen again. (Turns out that was another lie) I also know four friends of mine that have encountered the same guy at least once.

The part of it that really pi$$es me off the most is that he always has to point out that he's a veteran. I'm about as much of a supporter of our military as you can be and that was the main reason I helped him out the first time. It makes me mad that he's using that and giving our vets a bad reputation.

With that being said, if you are ever in the Lubbock area and a guy named Cecil tells you he's a vet and is having car trouble, don't give that POS any money.
                    I had a similar incident with a guy in Ft Worth about 20 yrs ago. Gave him $20 the 1st time and about a year later he approached me on the other side of town with exact same story. I let go for a few minutes then interrupted and told him I already heard that story, tell me a new one. He walked away and flipped me off. I got a good laugh out of it and I still give to those in need when I feel Gods calling to do so. Like I said before, He sorts out the consequences. I'd rather they deal with God's wrath than me!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Your good people Tracey. That's what good people do.

All you gotta do is ask your self: "What would Jesus do?"

World would be a whole lot better place if everyone did that.

Comment

I’m much more apt to give someone money if their (Hi Chew) honest. When they try to scam me with some BS sob story, shut down quick. I was outside a bar in Jacksonville, FL a few years ago and they’re (Hi Chew) was a guy in a wheelchair whose legs were obviously not functional who asked me for a few bucks, he said he wanted a drink and go get something to eat. I gave him a $20 and watched as he went and bought a big *** beer and a microwave sandwich from the filling station across the street. Just be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                          Nice to the first guy. Naive to the second guy.

I’ve had people get really mad when they ask for money for gas and I tell them no. On two occasions, we were a millisecond away from aggressive negotiations. So maybe you’re right, $10 got rid of him.
                          Originally posted by CDF View Post
                          Nothing wrong with being nice even to a con man if you can afford it. I've given gas money knowing it was going towards something else
                          The only issue is like most on TBH complain about. Every time someone gives to a con man of any kind it just ensures they keep conning. If people stopped giving they wouldn't try.

Comment

One time I was getting gas at Kroger. Some probably 20ish girl with a kid on either hip kept getting her card declined. The kids were wailing, it was hot. I bought her a tank of gas and took her grocery shopping. I couldn’t help but feel I was being scammed, but then I figured I could spare it, and I couldn’t look at myself on the mirror if I didn’t help a broke mom in a rat trap car get home and feed her kids.

I guess the moral is you have to live with yourself everyday. Do what makes you proud of the actions you take, and who cares about the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                              Seems to me you listened to that little voice ( the Holy Spirit ) both times and it was correct both times. Don't give up on humanity, but don't trust it completely either. Good work.
                              DB, this right here.

If in the future, you want to help with gas, tell them to pull up to the pump, go inside and pay for their gas. This way you maintain distance, go into a safer, public place. At that point you can leave or keep an eye on them until they leave.

Comment

I don't like to be approached. I have no issue helping change a tire in a public place, helping with some money in the line when they are trying to decide what not to take home because they are short.
                                I have also been in a bad situation when I stopped to help and the hidden other party came out with a shotgun.
                                Yeah it's good to help. Especially a woman with a little kid or senior citizen. The rest of em need to work as many hours as I do in the sun and earn a few bucks to pay for their own gas.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X