Gate Latch Ideas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate Latch Ideas ?

Need some ideas on good latches for a 4' walk through single pipe gate. AND a 10' double gate (2x5') that meets in the middle.

Will need to withstand a 300+ # swine from pushing in.

Prob needs 2 or 3 supports/stops (top/bottom or top/middle/bottom).

I have a couple ideas but I'm sure someone on here has better.

Whats a good, solid, latch system?

Thanks, D.

For the double gate. If they are square tubing i would cut a piece of channel to flip down on the top like a lock bar. Then put pin thru underneath to hold it. Then put a slide rod on the bottomn.

Slide rods work just fine espceially if you put a keeper pin on them keep the pig from sliding them out.

The whole trick to making slide bolts hold up is usually plenty big enough rod i prefer 1" atelast. And make your gates fit tight in the opening so the gap is tight so you dont have alot of rod to bend. Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Weld pipe on both gates with a piece of sucker rod that slides down through them like a hinge

Comment

My plan

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post
        Weld pipe on both gates with a piece of sucker rod that slides down through them like a hinge
        Thats what I was thinking but it'd be a long rod.

Comment

This is what I’m retrofitting my working pens with. Made in Beeville.
          Hop-Lok spring-loaded latches make gates close like doors. Our spring-loaded latches are built to last a lifetime and are perfect for farms and ranches!

Comment

2 ?

Originally posted by Ag 96 View Post
            This is what I’m retrofitting my working pens with. Made in Beeville.
            https://hoplok.com/
            Think I'd need 2 on ea gate ? Be nice if they made a double that opened both w 1 pin.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
              Think I'd need 2 on ea gate ? Be nice if they made a double that opened both w 1 pin.
              I would For sure use 2 in your situation. We have used a couple similiar to that a local guy has made around my area. They have their pros and cons.

Comment

^^^^^
                Cons?

Comment

^^^^^
                  Cons?
                  Keep in mind i dont have this particular one. But pretty much same thing. Ours will pass the catch sometimes if slammed hard. OR they get sticky and rusty and dont spring back enough to catch. Also if you dont get them dead center up and down then they will drag and not spring back sometime if you dont have rock solid gate posts.

Comment

I'm using this one I pick up from TS and it works well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gate latch.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	24654524

Comment

Piece of chain and a lock

God Bless
                      Bish

Comment

Thats what I was thinking but it'd be a long rod.
                        Or two short ones

Comment

I hate double gates

Comment

How about a gate latch like on shipping containers? Seems easy enough to build.

I also fall into the, "I hate double gates crowd"

Comment

You mentioned a 300 pound hog.. When you get your hinges and gate in place, run a fence charger hot wire on the inside of the gate where the hog is about 6-8 inches above the ground and a foot away from the gate. That will keep the hog(s) away from the gate when you go in and out. If you don't run the hot wire, the hogs will test those hinges and gates every time you go through the gate.

Comment

Working...
                              X