Help Me Plan My First Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Plan My First Elk Hunt

So my dream of chasing elk is finally coming to fruition this September. I drew a NM bull tag that I’m really excited about. I know being completely green coupled with an archery tag and going solo has the odds stacked against me, but I’m going to do everything possible to put myself in the best position possible to bring home a wapiti.

I know there is an elk thread that I’ve casually looked through, but wanted to start my own thread for easy reference. The main thing I’m after is opinions on meat handling and care should I be fortunate enough to find myself with a downed elk. But other gear related opinions are definitely welcomed.

My excitement for having drawn the tag was amplified more so after I reached out to a landowner in the same unit to which I hunted Mule deer on his private property. Looking for potential advice on where to focus my efforts, he offered me private access to a 500 acre place surrounded by NF. There is even a cabin on the place that I can use for the duration of the hunt! So camping items won’t be needed this trip.

Throw any and all ideas my way please. One other question I have is should I take my pack to haul meat with on every outing, or just use my day back and come back to camp for my haul pack if I kill? Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to to following along. What unit?

Comment

I’m gonna give the same advice I give everyone I know and in every thread just like this. Study your quarry, this is NUMBER 1 on the list for every species, especially new ones. From how to hunt books to ecology to scientific research papers to talking to area biologists. If you don’t understand and know your quarry you’ll be hunting blind no matter what you do.

Hunt the entire season. If you have a 7 day season be there to hunt all 7 days with time to scout several days prior. If you have a 15 day season, be there long enough to hunt all 15 days with time to scout a few days prior.

Those 2 paragraphs are the TOP and MOST common reasons why people eat tag soup.

Comment

Good luck. My meat hauling pack and day pack are the same. In NM in September I would not carry as much gear opting to leave cold weather gear and tripod. My pack might only contain water, kill kit, compass, layers, first aid, tp, primary navigation (phone). I like the bugling bull diaphragm calls. I think the elk nut app for your phone would be the best $5 you could spend on your trip.

Comment

If truly going solo without any help from a friend or guide as a new elk hunter, I think that signing up and reading the elk 101 course in its entirety would be one of the first things I would do if I were in your shoes. This comes from an elk hunter with 8 years under his belt and 2 bulls killed DIY on private land starting out as a novice with a partner in the same boat for reference.

Comment

It won’t take but a few hours for the meat to start to spoil unless there’s unseasonably cool temps. Try and get him cut up as quick as possible. Giving him all night to die will most likely result in a big or total loss of meat, especially if he died fairly quickly.
            Last edited by RutnBuk; 06-18-2021, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Having private access and a cabin to hunt out of is a huge bonus. I got lucky and killed my first bull in Idaho last year. I was shocked when I saw how big they are. No way could I physically pack one out by myself. Time is a factor when it’s hot. Try and lock down someone to help just in case you get one. It’s a blast trying to locate and figure them out. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                Looking forward to to following along. What unit?

Thanks! I’ll be in unit 37.

Appreciate the comments thus far!

Comment

Hope you started getting in shape “last year” if you’re in mountainous terrain.

I’ve been to Montana twice with archery guide - toughest terrain I’ve ever been in, and twice to Colorado DIY hunts that will still wear you out.

Each day I would carry less and less - if I can’t drink it or eat it, I figured I didn’t need to have it with me (beside a pistol on the DIY hunts).

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                    So my dream of chasing elk is finally coming to fruition this September. I drew a NM bull tag that I’m really excited about. I know being completely green coupled with an archery tag and going solo has the odds stacked against me, but I’m going to do everything possible to put myself in the best position possible to bring home a wapiti.

I know there is an elk thread that I’ve casually looked through, but wanted to start my own thread for easy reference. The main thing I’m after is opinions on meat handling and care should I be fortunate enough to find myself with a downed elk. But other gear related opinions are definitely welcomed.

My excitement for having drawn the tag was amplified more so after I reached out to a landowner in the same unit to which I hunted Mule deer on his private property. Looking for potential advice on where to focus my efforts, he offered me private access to a 500 acre place surrounded by NF. There is even a cabin on the place that I can use for the duration of the hunt! So camping items won’t be needed this trip.

Throw any and all ideas my way please. One other question I have is should I take my pack to haul meat with on every outing, or just use my day back and come back to camp for my haul pack if I kill? Thanks guys!

First, congrats on the tag. Get in shape or better shape than you are now. I always hunt with my frame pack on my back. Just carry only what you need in it. But always be ready with the items needed to get an elk off a mountain. Especially in September. Don't need to waste time going back to camp to get stuff. The cabin is nice, but be prepared and equipped to move locations in case the elk are not there. Be mobile.

Comment

Also, give yourself plenty of days to hunt as possible. Tags are not easy to draw, so take advantage of the one you have. Maybe a summer scout trip if you can. Locate as many water holes as you can.

Is it early or late archery?

Comment

If I was going for the first time I would hire a guide. When you knock one down you will only have a few hours to pack him out and that will be very hard by yourself they are huge animals. Hope it works out and you get a good one and congrats on the tag!

Comment

Find a non hunting friend to go with you. It's better than going alone plus safer and he can help pack your elk out.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                            Find a non hunting friend to go with you. It's better than going alone plus safer and he can help pack your elk out.
                            Plus a caller set back 50-70 yards helps a ton.
                            I've never met him but I PMed saying I could go with him maybe. Elk hunting can be nearly as fun just being the caller. It's usually a team sport to be a success.

Comment

Trust me on this. Those draw tags are very limited, unit is large, spread out with private land throughout. In that unit you have a pretty decent opportunity to see some very big bulls. Beg, borrow or whatever it takes to hire someone who knows that unit. Opportunities like this are pretty limited.
                              Last edited by ladrones; 06-19-2021, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X