Which would you choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
    The excavator attachment is junk compared to a backhoe. The trencher attachment is legit but how much water / electric line are you going to run to justify the cost of that attachment.

I don’t disagree with the excavator part, but someone said it couldn’t be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Gert a skid steer with a bucket and pallet forks. Anything you can't do with that you can rent.

Comment

If you are ever going to dig ditches/trenches, you should know what to buy.

Comment

I've owned all of the major brands over time. I presently own a large Takeuchi tracked machine that I bought new. I would only consider a machine with the flip up door that folds into the top of the cab. There are only two that have this feature. Takeuchi and Kubota. The others I've had, had the swing out door. These doors are the most inconvenient feature on any of the skid steer family. Loading anything on a trailer that gets hung up on the trailer and you need to get out, the fold out door will not let you get out to make adjustments on the trailer. You are captured unless you back out and retry or rehook again. Not funny on loading attachments or pipe. When shearing a large tree and it falls wrong and falls back on the cab and jambs the front door, there is no way out except through the back glass. On the flip up windshield, exiting has never been a problem. All of the major brands are good. They will all have their issues at one time or another. If you buy new, get the bumper to bumper extended warranty. One air conditioning problem and you will recoup your warranty cost.

I use a stinger bucket a lot for grubbing. This narrow bucket sticks out about 6 foot in front allowing good visibility of the stinger and is 12 inches wide with back hoe teeth on the front end. I've used it to dig ditches, pull t-posts, grub out mesquite and cedar trees and have dug out large live oak decline dead trees. It's not as efficient as a purpose built machine like a backhoe or dozer for mass grubbing but it gets the job done and it has no hydraulics hoses to break and other major breakdown costs. I have a number of attachments but this is my go to for quick and no problem grubbing. Once every thing has been grubbed, I attach the regular bucket or a grappler bucket for stacking.

As others above have said, if you are only going to use one occasionally, rent it and the attachment(s) you need. One more thing, the tracked machines are much smoother and easier for spreading dirt and shaping roads and building pads. I use my Tak daily on the ranch and I couldn't get by without it.

Comment

Kubota skidsteer

Comment

Cat skid steer

Comment

I have a JD 333g track and love this machine. Bought off member here couple years ago ......

Comment

Not even a contest. Skid steer on tracks. None of the other machines you mentioned have the versatility a skid steer does. Sure some are better at one or two things but overall you will be better off with the skid steer.

Comment

Skid steer

Comment

have rented a Kubota 65HP SVL track loader recently and put nearly 30 hrs. on it ... pushing up brush piles, moving dirt, leveling pads and trails, etc etc., its a really powerful machine. Would love to own one with a few attachments. Can't believe I ever accomplished anything without one.

Comment

Come run a CAT XE a few hours and make up your own mind up,

Comment

Skid steer

Comment

A skid steer is the most versatile piece of equipment you can get. With good implements you can get a lot of work done in a hurry.

Comment

Yes sir.

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              Cat skid steer
                              Caterpillar/perforated tires..I like the rubber tracked machine's,but rocks tear the hell out of them.

Comment

I'd go with a skid steer for the brush clearing and road leveling. If you need to dig anything just get a bucket attachment with hydro legs and put it on the back of the mentioned tractor.

Comment

Working...
                                X