cpap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cpap

I"ve seen some threads on here, none of them specifically addressed my question:

I've been tested (home study 2x)... neither of them showed anything major irregular. However, my wife complains daily of my snoring and I have some other issues that could be directly linked to apnea... Can I just go buy a cpap machine and start using it (ebay, FB marketplace, classifieds here etc?) or do these things need to be set up using a prescription. Also for what it's worth I don't have traditional health insurance, so I'm not expecting them to pay anything for it if that makes a difference.

My understanding is you must have a prescription to purchase cpap machine. I've heard you can buy them on ebay. You wouldn't have any idea what your pressure would need to be set at. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Comment

That's what I did on my first one. Bought it from a lady on CL and it worked fine.
      My friends convinced me to get the sleep study and get the right machine so it didn't blow a lung out or something. So a bunch of $$$$ later I cant tell any difference in the two.

Comment

You are correct that a script is needed. However, there are cpaps that self regulate pressure if your concerned about it. They are tons for sale out there.

I was iffy on my sleep test but they gave me one anyway. I sleep very well now!

My wife loves it too!!

dp

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
          I"ve seen some threads on here, none of them specifically addressed my question:

I've been tested (home study 2x)... neither of them showed anything major irregular. However, my wife complains daily of my snoring and I have some other issues that could be directly linked to apnea... Can I just go buy a cpap machine and start using it (ebay, FB marketplace, classifieds here etc?) or do these things need to be set up using a prescription. Also for what it's worth I don't have traditional health insurance, so I'm not expecting them to pay anything for it if that makes a difference.
          If you figure out how to fix that you'll be a rich man.

Comment

Script is needed. What a difference cpap makes!

Comment

The APAP machines are the ones that auto regulate. The APAP is what I have.

While a prescription was submitted to the vendor for mine, there is not any calibration needed that cannot be found on the instructions. It is basically plug and play.

I can get you the model info if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Some of the online CPAP companies have in-house doctors that can help write a prescription, especially if it is for snoring and not apnea.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                  If you figure out how to fix that you'll be a rich man.

My wife says that I no longer snore since using APAP. I sleep better as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There is a cpap listed on the first page of the classifieds.

Comment

script shouldn't be hard to find. I could tell the doctor was ready to write one before the sleep test. Not a fan though.

Comment

I did a sleep study after a heart monitor showed that my heart would stop beating for up to 5 seconds due to not breathing = Apnea. The snoring seems insignificant.
                        But yeah, you are supposed to have a prescription.

Comment

This decision could affect your living to be an old man. Do as you please, but IMO spend the money on a sleep study. Just ask up front what is my out of pocket expense!

Comment

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original post.. I've done 2 at home sleep studies.. neither of which produced results to show above normal apnea. It was the opinion of my primary physician and my cardiologist (2 different studies) that a laboratory sleep study would not be beneficial... my question is, aside from it being good advice to have a prescription are there actually any negatives to just buying a machine and using it?
                            Last edited by jlp04c; 12-10-2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X