Down Jacket Recs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down Jacket Recs?

I have some money to REI and was looking at getting a down insulating layer. Any recommendations? Obviously brands that don't sell at REI are off the list.

Don’t know what brands they sell but Primaloft is what you want. Real down will collapse when wet killing its insulation properties. Primaloft will still retain heat if it gets wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Big fan of my LL Bean down jacket. Can’t beat their warranty either.

Agreed that synthetic is better for wet conditions but down seems to breathe much better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Why not fleece if it is just an insulating layer? Down is for loafing, I got a Mountain Hardwear but use fleece as a layer when active

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
          Why not fleece if it is just an insulating layer? Down is for loafing, I got a Mountain Hardwear but use fleece as a layer when active
          Down beats the brakes off of fleece when you stop to glass for a while

Comment

I know that I'm ignoring your request for REI, but I have to recommend this jacket from Sam's. It's VERY warm considering it's light weight. I love it.

Comment

Synthetic is only better if you plan to get wet. If you are wearing a shell over it, as you should, get real down. I’m not sure what brands REI carries, but just look for a real down puffy with box walled/box baffled construction. They won’t be cheap.

Comment

Arc'teryx, Patagonia, Kuhl, REI brand....

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                  Down beats the brakes off of fleece when you stop to glass for a while
                  But not when you are sweating up a storm. I was trying to find the intended use.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                    But not when you are sweating up a storm. I was trying to find the intended use.
                    True. Mine stays packed then when I stop put it on otherwise that sweat gets super cold

Comment

Since you are burning REI member rebate money, I would recommend North Face or Patagonia. They both have nice insulating layer coats.

Comment

I saw the North Face L3 and it had good reviews. May need to sit on it for a sale. Wish they sold LL bean

Comment

For anyone saying get a synthetic, IMO there is nothing better for warmth than down. There’s a reason geese and ducks have not switched over.

Comment

Working...
                          X