Sauer Rifles....thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canny View Post
    Will probably start with factory, but will probably load for it down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It seems from what I have read that most everyone is shooting the Hornady 143 ELDX hunting bullet. I am intrigued by something in the 120 gr category in the 6.5 PRC but don't know enough about the caliber to know if a lighter bullet is going counter to what the caliber was made to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
      It seems from what I have read that most everyone is shooting the Hornady 143 ELDX hunting bullet. I am intrigued by something in the 120 gr category in the 6.5 PRC but don't know enough about the caliber to know if a lighter bullet is going counter to what the caliber was made to shoot.

I think the 140s and that round are a good combo. Gets good velocity with a good grain weight. I’ll start with the 143 ELDX and go from there

Comment

Sauer Rifles....thoughts?

Or maybe the Barnes 127 LRX down the road.

Comment

Or maybe the Barnes 127 LRX down the road.
          That is exactly the bullet I was thinking as well. I love the Barnes bullets and have always had great results using them. It would be interesting to see how that bullet performed pushing it around that 3300 fps mark.

Comment

That is exactly the bullet I was thinking as well. I love the Barnes bullets and have always had great results using them. It would be interesting to see how that bullet performed pushing it around that 3300 fps mark.

I do know that I tried it in a 6.5-300 WBY and it was no bueno. Those were Weatherby factory ammo too.

Comment

It should do well at that velocity. I thought about loading some up for my 6.5-284.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Well it arrived today. I’m impressed with the wood as all my wood guns are walnut. I was a little apprehensive about the beech wood. But Sum Beech I’m happy

Nice looking rifle. I've got a CA Mesa in 6.5 PRC and love it. I've thought about a Sauer in 6.5 PRC or 6mm Creed for my wife, but she's a little rough on rifles and that stock might get roughed up a little. I put the Sig BDX scope on it and its right on at 660 yards.

If you want to try something other than the 140's give the 130 Accubond and the 130 Scirocco a shot. I've loaded both in my Swede and had outstanding groups and great performance out of them. I then tried both in my 6.5 PRC with H1000 and got sub .5 MOA and 3100 FPS out of both bullets, but the Scirocco won the battle with a couple of .25 MOA groups.

I bought 3 boxes of the factory 143 ELD-X and one box of factory ELD-M mainly for the brass. I killed two mouflon/barbado feral sheep this year at about 290 yards and that ELD-X did some massive damage.

I'm gonna tag this thread. Keep us updated on how it shoots. Inquiring minds want to know!

Comment

I was bored and remembered this thread so I thought I’d provide an update. I mounted a Burris Veracity 3-15 on it and took it to the range. Pulled the bolt, bore sighted it, and the first 3 shots out of the barrel were spot on. I don’t think I could get that lucky again if I tried. I am disappointed at the Hornady PH 143ELDX as it was 100FPS lower than the advertised velocity with the same length barrel. Oh well, I’ve got 2 boxes and once they are shot up I’ll reload them to max out it’s potential.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                    If you want to try something other than the 140's give the 130 Accubond and the 130 Scirocco a shot. I've loaded both in my Swede and had outstanding groups and great performance out of them. I then tried both in my 6.5 PRC with H1000 and got sub .5 MOA and 3100 FPS out of both bullets, but the Scirocco won the battle with a couple of .25 MOA groups.

If you want to try 130 Accubond let me know because I have a few boxes I don’t need.

I just finished my PRC load yesterday with 140g Accubonds over N165 @ 3055fps

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                      If you want to try 130 Accubond let me know because I have a few boxes I don’t need.

I just finished my PRC load yesterday with 140g Accubonds over N165 @ 3055fps

Yes sir I would. Send me PM please!

Comment

I was bored and remembered this thread so I thought I’d provide an update. I mounted a Burris Veracity 3-15 on it and took it to the range. Pulled the bolt, bore sighted it, and the first 3 shots out of the barrel were spot on. I don’t think I could get that lucky again if I tried. I am disappointed at the Hornady PH 143ELDX as it was 100FPS lower than the advertised velocity with the same length barrel. Oh well, I’ve got 2 boxes and once they are shot up I’ll reload them to max out it’s potential.

100 fps slow seems to be standard for hornady factory eld-x from what i've seen/read. Maybe after 200 rds the barrel will speed up a bit and you'll only be 50 fps off

Comment

I looked at them briefly, but the fact that the barrels are press-fit, not threaded in kinda scared me away. I know that most people will never deal with changing a barrel on a rifle, but not even having the option just didn’t sit well with me. I’m sure they are great or Sauer wouldn’t put their name on it.

Comment

Originally posted by silencer2011 View Post
                            I looked at them briefly, but the fact that the barrels are press-fit, not threaded in kinda scared me away. I know that most people will never deal with changing a barrel on a rifle, but not even having the option just didn’t sit well with me. I’m sure they are great or Sauer wouldn’t put their name on it.

Had no idea, I’ll probably never shoot the barrel out of it anyway but that’s interesting

Comment

Working...
                            X