Spike lives matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Man View Post
    Topic you wouldn't expect a P&Y to start a thread on for 500 Alex.
    I did not even notice I had made P&Y. Something I don't pay much attention to.

The thread started out as a play on words and something I was curious about from a deer management aspect. Spikes don't do ANY breeding unless your buck /doe ratio is way out of balance. I have killed only a couple of 2 year old spikes in 58 years of deer hunting, but I have killed a lot of cull deer that i suspect could have been older spikes at one time in their short life. In fact, I have a 4X1 on my hit list this year if I can get him in front of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

Nowhere does it say you NEED to or SHOULD shoot spikes, it only says they are legal. Does are legal too, but under some circumstances I don’t shoot them either. The spike thing is simply a concession the state made to hunters when the 13” rule was implemented. They knew hunters would revolt if told they could only shoot one buck, so they sacrificed spikes in order to let some bucks get older. It’s a stupid law, but nobody ever accused the government of being smart. It’s a personal choice and if you want to shoot a spike, carry on, but I won’t unless he’s an obvious 3 year old, of which I’ve seen only two in 50 years of deer hunting.
      https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt...red_yearlings/ this study was done long before antler restrictions

Comment

We don't shoot any deer till they are 4...it takes a pretty ugly rat to be killed at 3. There's simply no reason to shoot immature deer unless you just want to.

spike to 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          Spikes are so tasty and tender
          Yup!

Comment

I shoot one every year.

Comment

Originally posted by chillymac View Post
              are you selling Spike Lives Matter? TPWD says to shoot spikes.
              I’m familiar with that old study. It offers what they found in a small sample when all Hill Country deer were not much larger than German Shepherds. Times have changed, but your statement says they say to shoot spikes. It doesn’t say that, merely offers the info. Dr. James Kroll did another much more recent study that contradicts theirs. If I’m not mistaken, another study was done in Mississippi by some other researcher whose name escapes me that coincides with Dr. Kroll’s. Believe whichever fits your thoughts.

Comment

Never have and never will unless it’s truly an older deer. They are just babies 99% of the time.

Comment

Ive stopped shooting them unless I want the meat.

Id like to have seen this one at 2.5yo.

Comment

How many of you that shoot all the spikes you see regularly grow big deer?

Comment

SLM rings off the tongue nice. I’ve never seen an old spike.

Comment

I don’t mind them being shot. I’ve hunted the Same place for 30 years and rarely see one. In all that time I’ve never seen one over 145 either so Killing a spike ain’t killing a potential 160.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          I don’t mind them being shot. I’ve hunted the Same place for 30 years and rarely see one. In all that time I’ve never seen one over 145 either so Killing a spike ain’t killing a potential 160.
                          You have a pic of a these 100" to 145" spike? Id like to see that.

Comment

2 year old spikes get the shaft!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a friend that raised a Fawn was a spike fst year / tx legal shooter next year/Wow 10 point third year...and never seen again

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                                You have a pic of a these 100" to 145" spike? Id like to see that.
                                Read it again

I said I rarely see a spike and I have never seen a buck over 145 either.

Comment

Working...
                                X