Ammo specs for Shooter App?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ammo specs for Shooter App?

I bought the $10 shooter app on my phone but am having trouble putting the right ammo info in. Right now I'm shooting Winchester 150gr Deer Season XP in .308.

The app has a bullet library, but I'm not sure of the specific bullet that this ammo has. I can also manually add in the specs, but don't have caliper to measure diameter etc.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Not sure what bullet that uses either, but you can build it manually and then true it up at the range.

Use a G1 BC value of .350 and their box muzzle velocity (2820 fps) if you don't have a chronograph of your own to confirm. I wouldn't get too tied up in it though with a bullet that has such a low BC and ammo that likely has a huge standard deviation on muzzle velocity.

Don't need to worry about bullet length unless you are trying to account for spin drift. Which inside a couple hundred yards will be negligible.
    Last edited by bdubb; 10-15-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

You’re gonna need consistency and low SDs to be accurate at distance. That ammo may surprise me but I doubt it. Have you ran it over a chronograph?

Comment

I haven't ran it over a chrono and this definitely isn't my preferred ammo, using it because I'm sighting in a new scope and have a good bit of it to shoot.

Since we are on the subject, my preferred ammo is Hornady 168gr ELD- would y'all expect more consistency with that round?

Working from the goal backwards, next year I'm going to build a semi-custom gun- I recently purchased the scope and am starting to get more interested in learning about long range shooting (y'all would probably consider it mid-range, 400-600). That is what peaked my curiosity with getting the app and wondering about bullet etc; more so just for fun right now but I do want to be deadly accurate at 400 yards. Again, I know that's not too far in the grand scheme of things and maybe what I'm wondering about doesn't even matter much at that range.

Comment

I would think it would be better, but have never compared the two. It's been a while since shooting factory Hornady stuff, but I'd expect SD's well over 20 FPS still. Which honestly is more than "good enough" for just about all general hunting when compared to vital sizes of medium-large game.

For purpose made handloaded match ammo most would consider any SD over single digits undesirable and somewhere in the 5-6 range being the general goal, preferably lower. This would be with premium components and individually weighed charges. Then its just a rabbit hole from there.
          Last edited by bdubb; 10-15-2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Yes the hornady ammo is much better. I don’t mind showing you some stuff if you wanna go to the range sometime. You’re close to me. I’ve got the chrono and all the gear. Lemme know

Comment

Diameter is your bullet .308
              If you’re hunting with a .308 under 300 yards you can use box ammo and find something close enough.
              If you’re taking it 800+ yards you’re gonna need to not use Winchester. ��

Comment

Working...
              X