Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats again.

Comment

I love it when people say they hunted Granger for years without seeing anyone and killed hogs everytime out till TBH started...lol I've ran into several that have said it.

Comment

Originally posted by Comehere deer View Post
        Well fella's long time hunter (2 yrs for hogs) first time poster for finally getting my first hog. We went out Carnage and I from #6 as Carnage suggested to another hunter for deer earlier. We met at 7:00 and I needed to site my cross bow in as I felt it was shooting to the left, we set up the target and sure enough it was about 1 foot to the left at 20 yrds. We corrected the crossbow (which I bought just for pig hunting) easier walking and jumping the hogs with a cross bow than a regular bow, unless I use my recurve which I have three to choose from, may be my next venture. Anyways back to the story as we were walking and we went thru one area and seen nothing so we started heading to #7 from # 6 and we were walking one of the thicket and we busted what we thought was a boar and Carnage and I decided to circle around and see if we could get in front and intercept the boar and we ran into another hunter which saw the boar and said it headed that way (pointing with his finger) So we continued THAT direction. We got up to where DM (Dirty Mike) was hunting last year before he hung it up because he had a new baby (you the man Mike) and we jumped the hog again and this time it was about 40 yrd away and would you not know it the hog made a fatal turn for the worst or good (depending on if you are the hog or me hehehe!!!) The hog cam running past us at about twenty yrd.
        So I shot and Carnage also and I said I hit it and I think I hit it good, maybe a little quartering away but I watched it run with the arrow half in and I was so jacked up as this was the first hog I had ever hit and only the second one I ever shot at and running!!! All I can say is the good lord was looking over me as I am typing I still can't believe I hit this hog running.
        I told Carnage that I hit the hog and it looked like a good shot. We went to where the hog was at when we shot and we found one arrow (which for a minute I thought was mine because we shoot the same arrows just different broadheads) so we started to track and we couldn't find any blood so we started to circle and we couldn't find any blood, after about ten minutes we started to look wider and every time I came across one area I could smell hog so we regrouped and started over, I was dumbfounded and said looks like we are in for a tracking jog and I ask God to give me the strength and ability to find this hog and I kid you not Carnage yelled I found him moments later. I am not a holy roller or anything like that I just believe in my god and WOW. So without further I would like to introduce you to MISS PIGGY.
        We guess she was about 130 to 140. As for guessing weight I am pretty good just ask Carnage. I am so blessed this year and very grateful.

Well done, brother!!

Comment

Great story comehere deer! And great shot too, making a killing shot on a running hog at 20 yards.

The reality is there even with the increasing number of hunters at Granger we still can't keep the hog population in check. There are plenty of hogs for everyone.

Lots of people moving around the area makes for better opportunity's for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
            Great story comehere deer! And great shot too, making a killing shot on a running hog at 20 yards.

The reality is there even with the increasing number of hunters at Granger we still can't keep the hog population in check. There are plenty of hogs for everyone.

Lots of people moving around the area makes for better opportunity's for everyone.
            Agreed. Many of my best hunts are when the woods are full of hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
              Agreed. Many of my best hunts are when the woods are full of hunters.
              I agree with you Crod, it just creates more opportunities.

Comment

Congrats guys and thanks for sharing your fun stories!!

Comment

seen a guy at six today blast a big ol boar.....only problem was he used a shotgun,im almost certain he used a slug also.claims he was hunting rabbits and that the hog was coming right at him,it was a hog grinder had jumped about a minute prior,guy was acting pretty shifty so we got the heck out of there and called the gamewarden,dang I wish we could conceal carry out there,

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
                    seen a guy at six today blast a big ol boar.....only problem was he used a shotgun,im almost certain he used a slug also.claims he was hunting rabbits and that the hog was coming right at him,it was a hog grinder had jumped about a minute prior,guy was acting pretty shifty so we got the heck out of there and called the gamewarden,dang I wish we could conceal carry out there,
                    You can't carry at Granger? As a CHL holder?

Comment

It's still illegal right? If that's the case everyone could say "oh a hog charged me so I shot it" while hunting for rabbits lol

Comment

Forgot I took this. The dead hog. Great shot at 30 yards though.

Comment

Just a little hog info. I went out Thursday after work and got out there to the river around 4pm. I parked by the horse barn just up from the primitive boat launch and started walking east towards the mouth of the river. Just as I stepped into the woods I heard crashing coming towards me from above me where the main trail was and I see a large black hog flanking me so I took off in that first open area towards the river that has all the low briars. Well needles to say I ain't 20 anymore and the hog outran me. Ten minutes later I find myself just down river from the primative camp and down river from it maybe a quarter mile approx 520. I have hogs in sight on both sides of the river. A sounder on my side of sows and piglets and a giant lone boar across the river. I was froze because the leaves are so crunchy but to give u an idea I was right under the big Spanish oak right next to the river. I stood for about 15 more minutes and never got a shot on any hogs and at just about dark past shooting hours for shotgun I was hearing a bunch of shotgun shots as I headed back to the truck. Prob ten shots in a five minute period. Some guy that had all his hunter orange on was shooting rabbits and kept shooting at them as I past him on the main trail. It was almost pitch dark when I got in my truck prob 615 or so and this guy in a red Hyundai utv was still shooting. I mean he had to be lighting the rabbits up with a flashlight and then shooting them. I know that this was not legal but I didn't call the warden. I should have after thinking about it. Bird shot could kill someone at close range. Just FYI. And this was my first hog hunt of the year at granger to see hogs everywhere is good stuff.

Comment

You can't carry on federal land even with a chl

Comment

Oh and if the person in the tree that waved his hunter orange vest at me I hope you got a shot on the three does I accidentally pushed to you. If u were deer hunting and you are on this forum. If not. Sorry for messing your set up.

Comment

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
                                Forgot I took this. The dead hog. Great shot at 30 yards though.
                                Did he have a broad head broke off in the left shoulder

Comment

Working...
                                X