AC Condensation Drain Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC Condensation Drain Advice

Well the inevitable happened this evening with a clogged AC condensation line. Came in and living room ceiling was soaked and dripping water. The drain ties in at the bathroom ptrap. Was able to get the clog free and water flowing again by taking it apart under sink and snaking it. The leak was coming from the pipe that appears to be a clean out pipe circled in pic. Is this a normal install as there is no cap or anything stopping the water? It was basically overflowing from the pipe. Could I put a removable cap to seal this so it overflows into pan if it happens again? Just can’t believe there wouldn’t be a cap on this. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Pretty sure that open PVC is there to pour bleach in…or force air to clean the line.

If that was capped, the clog would have still pushed water up until it leaked out.

Comment

I have never seen it done this way cap that sucker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would cap it and run a separate line thru the outside wall. Best water for plants and outside trees or flowers. No more problem!

Comment

The water should back up into an overflow pan not on your ceiling. One pan is built in one pan is under the unit. 2 drain lines 2 pans for fail safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Surprised it overflowed...unless that part of the line is lower that where it comes out of the unit. I'd sure put a cap on it.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
              Pretty sure that open PVC is there to pour bleach in…or force air to clean the line.

If that was capped, the clog would have still pushed water up until it leaked out.
              That’s what I think it’s there for to. If it was capped it would have backed up into pan and drained outside on back porch. At least that’s what I’m thinking?? The pipe going to left goes outside on back porch in front of window.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                Surprised it overflowed...unless that part of the line is lower that where it comes out of the unit. I'd sure put a cap on it.
                Now that you mention that, I’ll have to go check it. It sure doesn’t look like it’s much higher if any.

Comment

I have a similar setup at bayhouse, mine is capped and the previous owner told me to pour bleach in it a couple times a year.

Comment

Your overflow is plugged also.

Comment

That’s called a breather stack. It keeps water flowing at a better pace than if it is capped, like like a vent on a sink or other plumbing fixtures. it also keeps the equipment from sucking water/air into the pipe above the p trap in some situations. It does need to be higher than the primary pan for the evaporator coil though. Basically higher than where the lines exit the coil box like someone else mentioned. Put a coupling and a few more inches of pipe on there.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                        Your overflow is plugged also.
                        The pipe coming out of unit and dumping straight into pan?

Comment

Overflow isn’t plugged. Water had somewhere to go (the short breather stack) and didn’t back up and go to the overflow.

Comment

Mine has a cap on the pipe in question. However water can't overflow there as the overflow high level switch will shut the unit down before water gets that high.

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
                              The pipe coming out of unit and dumping straight into pan?
                              If your drain is plugged it should have gone into the overflow pan and drained outside instead of through your ceiling. My pipe is not capped. I’ve never seen one capped.

Comment

Working...
                              X