John Deere Lawn Tractor- Mowing Deck Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Deere Lawn Tractor- Mowing Deck Question

I am trying to help out my mother in law after her husband just passed away recently.

They have a JD X495 diesel lawn tractor with a 62c (62”) mower deck. The deck is rusted out and the JD dealer wants $5,000 to replace it. I am trying to find another option that will work because $5k is ridiculous. I don’t have to have a 62” deck but just need something that will fit the tractor. They live on 4 acres.

What are my options? I am willing to buy a good used deck as well.

Thanks for any help as I have no clue on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How bad is it rusted out? There’s a guy in Cleveland who fixes old mowers. When mine was rusted out he said he has a guy patch and weld up the bad spots. I moved and sold mine before actually getting it done. They usually only rust in a few spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Show photos of the rusted out areas. Like the member above says, depending on how much rust they can sometimes be patched and painted. Or find a mower salvage place and hunt for a used deck.

Comment

Yes, show pics. I’d patch the heck out of it if possible.

Comment

Just last year I bought a brand spankin new deck, with all the spindles, pulleys. blades etc, for a 42" LA-110. I did the mechanical work as I have had it for 12 yrs and know how it works. Even @my local dealer, labor is $100 per hr, which I think is stupid! Maybe shop around?

Comment

From your pic, I do not see
            any rust that will cause anyone from continuing to use the mower.

Comment

I spent quiet a bit of time researching and cross referencing to find compatible decks for my JD and then hit the lawn mower shops with “wrecking yards” until I found one that would work

That John Deere link above is where I got all my info

Find your mower, it may have options for decks
              Some of the other decks will be used on other mowers
              Any deck that will work on any model that one of the decks listed as an option for yours should work
              I ended up with a 54” deck from a 42”
              You will need to keep up with what model mower it came off of to get the right parts

Comment

I would think a small local welding shop and a couple hundred bucks maybe a case of beer to sweeten the deal would get you back up and going

Comment

After use always clean and spray deck with hyd/diesel mix

Comment

Working...
                  X