Protein on the ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein on the ground?

I am planning to build a timed protein feeder and wanted to know if any of ya'll see any issue with the protein pellets being distributed on the ground vs a trough or something similar. Thanks in advance!

We feed 20+ tons a year of protein pellets, and that is all through timed spin feeders (corn feeders). Only problems we have is raccoons pulling on the solar panel wires.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It will absorb moisture out of the ground, swell and fall apart. Not a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
        It will absorb moisture out of the ground, swell and fall apart. Not a good idea.
        This, bad idea

Comment

Really depends where your at. East Texas probably wouldn't work very well. West texas probably be ok. There are some feeder manufacturers that have trays that hold the feed after the feeder spins it out instead of throwing it all over the ground. Almost like a deflection plate with a trough under it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
            In a very short time at that.

Comment

Would also depend on how much you are feeding per timed drop. If you have deer coming in at feed time and cleaning up the 5lb, then it sitting on ground for 10 minutes is no issue. I have a large feeder that drop pellets from ports while deer are eating. Will usually see 5lb or so on ground under feeder when i go to check. it always looks fresh so they must be eating off the ground too.

Can definitely see the negatives of pellets just sitting on ground for days a time.

Comment

In! I get the feeling I missed a good-un the other day on this topic...as you were gentlemen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X