Offshore question? Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offshore question? Help?

So ive never been offshore before but a group of us had a trip booked for this saturday. Every forecast that i have seen is calling for 8-10 foot seas because of the hurricane to the south which i know nothing about other than its supposed to be too much to go out in. I called the charter and they said they dont make a decision on whether or not to go until the day of. They told me that the weather reports are usually wrong and not to worry about it, but i would prefer not to make the 4.5 hour drive down to the coast just to be turned around and drive back. So anybody that knows anything able to help me out?

It’s gonna be rough even at 5ft unless your in a boat over 60ft y’all will take a beating. Especially For your first time you probably won’t hane fun in that.

Comment

You gonna puke if it’s 4.5 footers. First time, you won’t want to go again because it will suck. My charter was canceled today out of surfside. I’ve been canceled 4 times this summer. It sucks. Check buoy 42019
      Last edited by kurt68; 08-19-2021, 08:57 PM.

Comment

The weather reports are usually wrong, but in all my life I don’t think they’ve ever been wrong that actually benefitted me. It’s usually worse than the forecast. Just keep an eye on the buoys, if it’s running more than 4’ I’d bet they will cancel.

Comment

Yeah that’s a HUGE no for me. We had an overnight trip to the floaters planned for tomorrow night and the forecast shows 6-8s with the occasional 10. That was an easy decision. I do agree that the forecast can be off but never by that much. Who is the charter?

Comment

we went on the Wharf Cat out of Port A earlier this summer with real choppy 6-7' waves and it was the most miserable trip of all time. There were people throwing up all over the place before we got to the first fishing spot and by about 11:00 just about everyone was inside hovered over plastic bags . I've never been on a trip where more than a few people got sick(on a big boat) and on this one almost everyone was sick.

Comment

Thanks guys, that confirms everything i was thinking. I dont want to say the charter because im sure they always wait until within 24 hours to make the call. But it is a private charter on a 30-40 ft boat. I dont know anything about reading the forcasts. But from what i can tell the are calling for 8-10 and up to 13 ft seas. I looked at a youtube video of 12 foot seas and that pretty much told me what i needed to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                we went on the Wharf Cat out of Port A earlier this summer with real choppy 6-7' waves and it was the most miserable trip of all time. There were people throwing up all over the place before we got to the first fishing spot and by about 11:00 just about everyone was inside hovered over plastic bags . I've never been on a trip where more than a few people got sick(on a big boat) and on this one almost everyone was sick.
                Unfortunately not the first time Ive heard this story. Seems the head boat operations put making money over common sense when the seas build. You're better off to just forfeit your deposit if forced to choose.

Comment

Don’t do it!

Comment

This is the best time to fish. You get to catch your snapper and another 200 for the rest of the boat! I would love to find one of those trips. I do take Dramamine though. I used to not have to take it back in my 20’s. Must be a sign of getting old.

Comment

Gonna be bumpy. Ive been in some 8s that were 8-10
                      Swconds between and had backs and it wasnt bad at all. Ive been in 3s-4s that were quick with no backs and it is not fun. The big pond can and will bite all of us that play on it

Big Ace is right. Those trips dont have a crowded rail

Comment

I took my oldest boy on one of those party boats years ago at gulf shores. He and many others were sick the whole trip. My wife had the idea of running a ferry boat out and back for all the people who wanted to come in. Could probably charge whatever you wanted.

Originally posted by CPR09 View Post
                        Thanks guys, that confirms everything i was thinking. I dont want to say the charter because im sure they always wait until within 24 hours to make the call. But it is a private charter on a 30-40 ft boat. I dont know anything about reading the forcasts. But from what i can tell the are calling for 8-10 and up to 13 ft seas. I looked at a youtube video of 12 foot seas and that pretty much told me what i needed to know.
                        Lol. Now I have to go to YouTube to watch 12’ seas videos.

Never have liked open water, I appreciate and nice island with flats if the weather turns fast.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          Gonna be bumpy. Ive been in some 8s that were 8-10
                          Swconds between and had backs and it wasnt bad at all. Ive been in 3s-4s that were quick with no backs and it is not fun. The big pond can and will bite all of us that play on it

Big Ace is right. Those trips dont have a crowded rail

I got caught in some 5 to 7’s and my son being 13 at the time was green and sick. It was like a washing machine. I did not puke but felt like crap. One king caught so not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was on a booked trip that was supposed to be a bachelor party. This was before the ability to check buoys but we knew it was gonna be bumpy. Most of the crew wanted to go so we drove down. The captain said it was gonna be rough but would go if we wanted and if we broke the jetty it was gonna be full price.

The guy getting married said he wanted to go so we left the dock. Once you could see thru the jetty ol buddy decided he wasnt as tough as he thought and we turned around. Dude got married and divorced in less than a month. And hes still single

Comment

yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum..
                              Stand by for heavy rolls.
                              Batten down, all weather decks, and secure all gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X