Deleted Diesel Inspections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I went to get my pickup inspected today in San Angelo and failed because of it being deleted. I haven’t had any issues before, and know several others that are deleted that have had no issues either. Did I just get a picky inspector or are y’all having issues now too?

It looks like he entered my info into the system as a fail, so I’m guessing I will probably have issues taking it to another shop for inspection. Anybody have experience with that? I guess I’m just going to have to throw the dpf system back on to pass, but I’d like to avoid that if possible.

Quick google search shows that you are not in an emissions county, not that it matters, diesels are not subject to emissions testing in Texas. Roll on to the next place and if that was all they failed you for, you’ll pass just fine.

Comment

They also require visual inspection for EPA equipment?

Originally posted by ShredLikeRed View Post
      Quick google search shows that you are not in an emissions county, not that it matters, diesels are not subject to emissions testing in Texas. Roll on to the next place and if that was all they failed you for, you’ll pass just fine.

Comment

First time I've ever heard of one failing for this.

Comment

Its Been in WIND a while..But Messing with Emission systems in vehicles Gas or Diesel is... Thats my understanding ,I could be wrong...

Comment

Wait a few weeks and go somewhere else. I have never had a truck fail for that .

Comment

There was a thread in here a year or so ago about someone who bought a used diesel and didn’t know it was deleted, a female member I believe but I don’t recall the screen name.

Anyway, tried to get the truck inspected and the same thing happened, failed. As I recall they tried at least one more shop and was turned down as well because it had been entered into the database or whatever. Again, that thread was from a year or so ago I think and I don’t remember the specifics.

Take it for what it’s worth but the way it was explained to me is that even though a diesel isn’t subject to the emissions part of an inspection, ie plugging into the OBD II port, it’s still subject to the visual inspection. Reason being is that if a vehicle comes from the factory with certain emissions components, they can’t be removed unless they are being replaced.

That’s what I’ve been told by a few people who own/run shops and do inspections anyway.

Comment

I do know if you fail at one shop and they put it in the "system" as a fail, it will show up at the next shop and the next shop doesn't like it much. Happened to my son because of the excessively dark tint on his windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                  There was a thread in here a year or so ago about someone who bought a used diesel and didn’t know it was deleted, a female member I believe but I don’t recall the screen name.

Anyway, tried to get the truck inspected and the same thing happened, failed. As I recall they tried at least one more shop and was turned down as well because it had been entered into the database or whatever. Again, that thread was from a year or so ago I think and I don’t remember the specifics.

Take it for what it’s worth but the way it was explained to me is that even though a diesel isn’t subject to the emissions part of an inspection, ie plugging into the OBD II port, it’s still subject to the visual inspection. Reason being is that if a vehicle comes from the factory with certain emissions components, they can’t be removed unless they are being replaced.

That’s what I’ve been told by a few people who own/run shops and do inspections anyway.
                  I remember the thread, think it happened in Matagorda county.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                    I do know if you fail at one shop and they put it in the "system" as a fail, it will show up at the next shop and the next shop doesn't like it much. Happened to my son because of the excessively dark tint on his windows.

That’s what I’m afraid of. I’m sure I wouldn’t have an issue finding a shop to pass it generally, but I’m not sure how the “system” works with a fail on record.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                      That’s what I’m afraid of. I’m sure I wouldn’t have an issue finding a shop to pass it generally, but I’m not sure how the “system” works with a fail on record.
                      The fail remains in there until the issue is "fixed".

I've been hearing that Overzealous inspectors are failing deleted trucks. Even in Non-Smog counties.
                      One ****** tried to fail me for not having an Airbag and nowhere in the state criteria are airbags mentioned. I had to go full Karen and speak to the Manager on that one LOL.

Comment

See#11. Smog county or not, they are only checking for the presence of a Cat or DPF.
                        It's quite obvious when these items are deleted. (Same on passenger cars)

Inspection Criteria for the Annual
                        SAFETY Inspection

Pickup, Panel, or Truck Under 80"

What's Inspected by Vehicle Type
                        Items of Inspection for a Pickup, Panel, or Truck Under 80"
                        Inspect Every Pickup, Panel, or Truck Under 80 Inches Wide For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
                        2. Windshield Wipers
                        3. Mirror
                        4. Steering
                        5. Seat Belts
                        6. Brakes (system) Parking - (beginning with 1960 models)
                        7. Tires
                        8. Wheel Assembly
                        9. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle)
                        10. Exhaust System
                        11. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
                        12. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
                        13. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
                        14. Stop Lamps (3) 1994 and newer; (2) if 1960-1993; (1) if 1959 model or earlier
                        15. License Plate Lamp (1)
                        16. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
                        17. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models) (mea-sure if 1959 model or earlier)
                        18. Head Lamps (2)
                        19. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
                        20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old
                        21. Window Tint.

Comment

Just cram the egr canister up in there like it’s being used, they just do a quick glance. I watched them when checking mine.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                            Just cram the egr canister up in there like it’s being used, they just do a quick glance. I watched them when checking mine.

This guy sure did more than a quick glance. I knew I was in trouble when I saw him break out a creeper.

Comment

It’s illegal to change federal emissions. If it’s deleted by Texas and federal law it’s a no pass. Really cracking down on it. The EPA is involved now. I am a licensed inspector and have my shop for 25 years. Early on no one cared but today it’s a big deal. Even hearing about fines for having them on our lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X