Do you have that “one” gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve bought and have a lot of guns as I’ve gotten older but I have one gun that my dad gave me at 14. I killed my first deer with it and over my 59 years I’ve killed everything from a bobcats,pigs whitetail pronghorn, axis, aoudad, oryx and mule deer with it. I can’t count or remember them all. Only thought about it tonight cause my dad died a few months back and tonight when I got home I had some pigs on my camera so I grabbed my old REM. 700 25-06 that my dad gave me so many years ago with the same redfield scope it’s had on it from day one. I have faith in it and I know I almost never miss with it from most any distance. I been successful with it from 50-500 yards. Good all around gun. Just change loads or tips or both and you can make it work in many many situations. It came through again tonight. I’ve decided it’s not leaving my possession till I give it to my new grandson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bzzboyz; 07-26-2021, 10:04 PM.

My grandfather’s 1911 Colt that was his sidearm in WWI.
    And my fathers CZ 27 that he took from a German officer he captured in WWII.
    They will be passed on to my son.

Comment

I wish I could say that for many reasons, but can't. The first nice rifle I was given, that I really liked, got stolen years ago, it was a 9422. Then my first deer rifle, I sold to buy my second deer rifle. Still wish I had that first deer rifle, it was a Ruger 44 Carbine, with a 4x Weaver scope.

The only gun I still have from my childhood, is a H&R 999, that my grandfather gave me.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
        My grandfather’s 1911 Colt that was his sidearm in WWI.
        And my fathers CZ 27 that he took from a German officer he captured in WWII.
        They will be passed on to my son.

Love me some 1911’s. I’ve got a Japanese Ruger my grandfather took of a dead one in the Philippines. Leather holster and all.

Comment

Sorry you lost your dad but sounds like you’ve get some great memories.I’ve got a few guns from lost loved ones I try and use every year.I’m sitting hear looking at a 410/22 OA That was my grandmother’s when my dad was little.My favorite go to gun was a REM 700 in 243 my friends use to say that animals would just voluntarily give up when I brought out that gun.Elk,pigs,deer,bobcats,coons,nutra,rabbits maby even a duck or 2

Comment

Originally posted by bzzboyz View Post
            I’ve bought and have a lot of guns as I’ve gotten older but I have one gun that my dad gave me at 14. I killed my first deer with it and over my 59 years I’ve killed everything from a bobcats,pigs whitetail pronghorn, axis, aoudad, oryx and mule deer with it. I can’t count or remember them all. Only thought about it tonight cause my dad died a few months back and tonight when I got home I had some pigs on my camera so I grabbed my old REM. 700 25-06 that my dad gave me so many years ago with the same redfield scope it’s had on it from day one. I have faith in it and I know I almost never miss with it from most any distance. I been successful with it from 50-500 yards. Good all around gun. Just change loads or tips or both and you can make it work in many many situations. It came through again tonight. I’ve decided it’s not leaving my possession till I give it to my new grandson.

I’ve got a marlin pappose and a New England .410 that I’ll never get rid of. I think I got both of them around my 5th or 6th birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My dad’s ‘68 Belgian magnum 20….that is what a firearm was meant to feel, sound, and look like.

Comment

A German Luger my grandfather took off a German officer after he killed him is probably my most sentimental gun. Lots of his other guns are sentimental as well, he was a Weatherby guy, so lots of Weatherby Mark V’s from the original production years are special too. And randomly, an original Marlin Goose Gun lol, the barrel is like 48” long and it’s a bolt action 12 gauge. Not practical, but cool

Comment

I can’t pick just one. Too many sentimental pieces of art Dad left when he passed. Dad worked for Ruger in Prescott Arizona for some time as a machinist. He built his own stainless Ruger Mk ll and customized it with handle material from Italy. I dont know the wood type, but its deep red. And the gun is a pleasure to shoot.

Also his GP100 357 that was gifted to him by my Grandpa.

Grandpa had an older Ruger Blackhawk 357 that is sweet shooter that my brother now has as well as a functional Colt, ball and cap pistol.

Lastly, dads old Savage 110 thats as old as I am. The barrel went bad and just had it fixed. Was a tough decision to re-barrel it but Dad would not retire it if he was still here. Its ready to roll now, so when my son is old enough, it will be his.

Comment

My dad is 88 and still alive. He is a great man and wonderful dad. He never liked guns or wanted them around. We had a pellet gun and my older brother has it. That is ok with me.

I will be the one to start a tradition of passing down a gun with my grandson. I will leave him my first ever rifle, a Ruger red pad tang safety 25-06 when its time.
                    We have already put together his own first rifle. It is a Tikka T3 in .260, He loves that gun and takes good care of it. He can shoot that gun way better than ole pips can, that's for sure.

Comment

I have a Mod 70 pre 64 with a Redfield that is square. Gun was handed down to me. It has notches on the stock. I kinda baby it but do carry and use it and so have my kids and wife. We only use it in box blinds in good weather. Gun is a great shooter- optics do the job but will never be changed.

Our goto grab gun that has killed everything from varmits to Oryx is a Weatherby Vanguard in 22-250 my wife won at a raffle 15 years ago. It is the best out of the box gun or custom we have as far as shooting.(guess she was lucky and got the barrel in the sweet spot on the rod). If I had to pick a gun to survive with it may be that one over a 22 lr

Comment

Marlin 1893 in 30-30 cal.
                        Dad aquired it in the early ‘60s.

Comment

Is that some kind of sock you have protecting the stock?? Looks cool what’s it called?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It would be really hard to pick just one but my very first big game rifle dad gave me he bought used at a pawn shop. It is a Remington 721 270 Win. My uncle refinished the stock, reblued the barrel and jeweled the bolt.
                            It has killed a lot of animals over the years but has been a safe queen for a long time. I need to pull it out, put another scope on it and get it dialed in as it is a real shooter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I killed my first deer with the same Remington .243 that my mom used to kill her first and my dad used to kill his first. All of my kids have killed their first with it and my oldest grand daughter is on deck to kill one with it this year.

-john

Comment

Working...
                              X