Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fisher__man View Post
    How tall of a tripod would y’all say is too tall??
    I have an aluminum tripod that is not that heavy and I could mount some tires on it to pull behind a bike. It’s about 10’ tall. I know that would put be above most of the brush out there. Just curious if that would be too tall.
    That height is perfect for the most of the spots where tripods can be used. I have a Hawk Quadpod with wheels and it took me and a friend to drag it 2 miles through the mud - is made of steel not aluminum so if you get stuck I’m sure you can throw yours on your shoulders and walk it if it’s too muddy for the wheels.

Comment

As far as game cart goes - we’ve used the Academy game carts with great success- in fact we had tied one to the back of a truck with a Nilgai and drove very slowly but it maintained and didn’t fall apart.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
        Another big day tomorrow…. My anticipation is growing by the minute. Can’t wait to see “pending secondary draw” on 27 application lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Lol, same here!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Son and i got drawn 11/19-11/21/2021 rifle.
          So stoked

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

3 of us will be there for the 11/19 rifle hunt. Can't wait!

Comment

Got drawn for the January rifle hunt today. I already am going for archery in November too.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post
                Got drawn for the January rifle hunt today. I already am going for archery in November too.

Well that’s lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got drawn for 12/3-5

Comment

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post

Dang, congrats!

Comment

I was drawn for archery and rifle hunt in November and don’t know whether I can pull off both. I am going to try but thinking if I need to choose one with the best chance of success I will probably just do the rifle hunt. I have been trying for at least 5 years or more to get a chance at this and now I get two in one month.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
                        I was drawn for archery and rifle hunt in November and don’t know whether I can pull off both. I am going to try but thinking if I need to choose one with the best chance of success I will probably just do the rifle hunt. I have been trying for at least 5 years or more to get a chance at this and now I get two in one month.

Well if you can go for the weekend of the archery hunt I would. That would give you great lay of the land and possibly a shot opportunity. Then go for the full hunt on the rifle hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post

I had the same thing happen to me back in ‘19, had never drawn and then drew both bow and rifle-and I found out driving home from a 16 day elk hunt (+ 3 days travel). I was pretty sure I was getting a divorce that year! Haha!

I did both hunts and was so glad I did. The archery hunt gave me a chance to get over the learning curve out there. The rifle hunt is SHORT. 3 days leaves Zero time for mistakes or poor choices. Like someone said above, even if you can only make 2-3 days of the archery hunt it will really increase your odds of success when you come back for rifle. (It seems like so many hunters are gone by midday Sunday anyway on most years I’ve been out there.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

So I am looking at the refuge "Open to Archery Only" portion of the map. Is Unit 4 (north of the Arroyo) open to archery this year? If so, you lucky dudes that got drawn for archery and want a chance at a Nilgai!

Comment

Has anybody heard how the nilgai fared during the freeze down there? I wonder if their numbers are a lot lower this year

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
                                So I am looking at the refuge "Open to Archery Only" portion of the map. Is Unit 4 (north of the Arroyo) open to archery this year? If so, you lucky dudes that got drawn for archery and want a chance at a Nilgai!

I called and they said Unit 4 will be closed this year. Apparently, the map in the brochure was changed for next year’s hunt. Kinda sucks for us that were drawn this year. He also said something about being able to hint coyotes and opening up another 40k acres. Again, I think all this happens for the next draws.

Comment

Working...
                                X