3/4 ton truck gas or diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3/4 ton truck gas or diesel

What is your experience on over all power and cost to maintain? Which is the better choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had both several times. two 24v cummins, a 2014 hemi 6.4 a 2018 cummins and a 2020 6.4 hemi.

both hemi trucks on 35 inch tires averaged 12.5mpg and oil changes every 5k were $100 (with correct spec oil). The 2018 cummins on stock tires got 16mpg (dually and the hemi were both 2500) oil change 10K miles was $100 and every 15K filter change $150. not much difference in upkeep at least during warranty however after warranty when you have issues with the DEF system or exhaust system it adds up in a hurry. I calculated savings on fuel and It would take 200K miles to offset the higher price of a diesel pickup due to fuel savings.

as far as power, the hemi did fantastic on anything up to 15k lbs, not as good as the cummins but it could handle it well at 8mpg, the cummins would accelerate faster and at 10mpg. after 15k go with diesel and dually

Comment

Diesel is nice , about .30ct per gallon more expensive, oil , fuel filter, maintenance 1/3 more expensive.
      Diesel is great if you pull 14k + on a regular basis

Newer models gas are good cheaper to buy and maintain
      Always in debate D vs G each has its own +/-

Comment

I completely agree with Javelin. I have a Ram 2500 with a 6.4 and it’s pulls my travel trailer fine. Diesel would pull better but I don’t pull it enough to care. I had diesels in the past and they were awesome but to me it isn’t needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 2016 Ram with 6.4; overall average 13.6; but hwy mileage is 15.5 on 35 inch tires. Pulls great; but mpg is awful when pulling. Get oil change every 8k with synthetic usually around $80. I have 80k miles and not one problem. Only complaint is roughest ride I ever owned...

Comment

As far as cost of maintenance, I have never felt like it was enough difference to even consider that a factor. Same with fuel since even though diesel is higher, I have always gotten a good bit better mileage in my diesels. I have tried to switch back to gas several times and I always end up missing the power of a diesel and going back. I always hated having to get the RPMs up so high in my gassers to get the power. It's just a personal preference.

Comment

I drive a '15 2500 Duramax.
              It has only been in the shop twice in 7 years, both under warranty.
              I'm betting that the more expensive oil changes and fuel are pretty well offset by fuel economy. I get around 18 normally, have gotten as much as 23 under certain conditions. It goes down tremendously with a trailer. Typically see 14 or so pulling my 24' boat, down near 11 hauling heavier trailers. Speed also plays a huge factor in MPG.
              Having the extra power when needed is worth every penny extra to me.

Comment

You need a diesel.

Comment

I have had both. Always chevy. Mine are about the same to maintain. The main difference I see is that my diesel gets stuck in mud easier.

Comment

6.4 Hemi here. I get 10.5mpg around town and 16-17 on the highway. Stock everything, down to tires. Transmission failure at 59,995 miles. Other than that, great truck. Maint is easy, $30 oil changes that I do in the driveway with full synthetic, and all the normal other maint items. Loved the diesels I had in the past, before DEF systems and all the emissions, but I don't want any part of that mess now. A lot of the service fleet places have switched over to gas trucks for major part rebuild issues. If you're running a hot shot business or towing over 10K a few times a month, diesel. If not, gas. IMHO.

Comment

I want to know where you guys are getting your oil changed. my 2019 f350 cost $460 every 2 weeks. about 2k miles and 120 hrs per week

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                        I want to know where you guys are getting your oil changed. my 2019 f350 cost $460 every 2 weeks. about 2k miles and 120 hrs per week
                        X2
                        My f350 was $360 and I did most of the fuel filter changes

My gas gmc is bad enough @ $80 per 7000 miles

Comment

$460 for an oil change???

I change mine myself, under $75. I change both fuel filters every other oil change...runs $125 ish.

Comment

If you are getting a SRW truck I'd get the gas. If a trailer was heavy enough to need the diesel I wouldn't be comfortable putting that on a SRW.

Comment

Wow- I want to know where You are getting Yours done? Are they rotating the tires and replacing the brake pads or something also?

Comment

Working...
                              X