Suppressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
    says the guy who himself posted 8 posts out of topic !
    you don't have to apologize on my behalf ... do it for yourself

and 6 creed 18" will blow the doors off that 16" 243 too ... step in the right direction! with less case capacity!

sorry OP !
    too much misinformation out there ...
    go to a silencershoot event .. best way to hear and touch all your options ...
    i wouldn't trust people that don't look at data objectively.

i apologize for derailing your thread..
    Here’s looking at data objectively.

Running a 300 blk at 16” with a 110 grain high dollar Barnes is 2350-2400 FPS. Which is a known not reliable Bullet for expansion at those speeds.

Run a 243 with a basic 100 grain soft point gets you 2450ish just starting out.

That 300 blk burns most if not all of its powder in 9” of barrel. Hence its design. Obviously different powder can alter these results. However, you won’t get lighter than a 110 grain projectile.

For the 243 it has a MUCH larger case capacity and the option to launch projectiles far lower in weight at higher velocities to enhance terminal performance. So let’s swap to an 80 grain bullet and go off forum data that you like. 2800 FPS. Ahhhh there we go! And the MFer will expand as designed!

Now get to reloading them. Move to a stiff charge and the speeds increase. You only have so much case capacity in each. 243 is DOUBLE the case capacity. Again, per your beloved forum data.

We aren’t talking about shooting one hog in the head standing still. A 22 will work for that. I’m talking about 5+ hogs dead per shooter per ground of hogs engaged. The blackout will show you how weak it is right then and there.

The blackout was built to shoot people. Not animals. 9” barrel ultra quiet with subs while a man with a badge or stripes kicks a door down.

Is 16” getting the most out of a 243? Heck no. Luckily I have a ton of other options. To say it sucks and compare it to a 300 blk is laughable. You don’t compare two calibers but choosing the highest weight grain in one and the lightest in the other. Compare sectional density and BC too….

That 80 grain 6mm pill at 2800(way faster with handloads) hits MUCH harder than the 110 30 cal pill at 2400. AND it actually has excellent terminal performance!

Are there better calibers? Yes. With trade offs. I’ve got a 16” 6 creed in the works. A 22” 6 creed. And a 26” 6 creed. No longer have the 243. But plenty of 6mm options. Not even getting into the 22 cal, 30 cal, 284s etc. Options. A fella has options.

But to alter data in your favor can be easily manipulated. Run your 243Ai with lighter pills at 16” and you’d probably be quite pleased at the performance you still have. Ideal? No. But there’s other options. Carrying a suppressed 24”+ barrelled gun plus a thermal and an 8 lb tripod miles in a night sucks. Lose the weight where you can while keeping the most performance.

FYI the buddy rubi and raider are telling you about kills more hogs in a year with a 16” 243 AR10 than you likely will in 10 years. They kill a LOT of hogs. He’s tried all kinds of calibers in different combos. Big reason he’s still shooting it. Thousands and thousands of hogs….

Only reason I bought that 243 was it was a deal. If it didn’t perform I planned on swapping barrels. Easy fix. But it performed just fine. My original point in my original comment was that if a 16” 243 is(and it easily is) hearing safe, then nearly anything else the OP runs will be as well.

You chose to run your mouth like you always do. Now go look at how many people bash the 300 blk. Then go look at how many bash a 243. Wonder why? I know why. And I just stated it.

Do I know everything? Am I the best shooter in the world? Absolutely not. To both. But I have been very fortunate to own and play with a very large variety of guns and in gear in many varieties and see what works. And also what doesn’t. I’ve always got more to learn. And I’m open to suggestions and learning. But **** sure not from folks that act like you!

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      Neither myself nor Raider has mentioned a single thing about back pressure effecting suppression. Trophy did, and neither one of us are backing up that stupid statement so what’s your point? Biden said Afghanistan is safe, but that makes no Fn difference in this conversation.

There hasn’t been a sole that said a 16” 243 is efficient or bada**, so you can drop your facts. The only thing we have said is it is effective for the purpose it was serving. And 308 sucks too it’s all opinion

**** Anthony, why you be dissin’ on 2 of my favorite calibers? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        Here’s looking at data objectively.

Running a 300 blk at 16” with a 110 grain high dollar Barnes is 2350-2400 FPS. Which is a known not reliable Bullet for expansion at those speeds.

Run a 243 with a basic 100 grain soft point gets you 2450ish just starting out.

That 300 blk burns most if not all of its powder in 9” of barrel. Hence its design. Obviously different powder can alter these results. However, you won’t get lighter than a 110 grain projectile.

For the 243 it has a MUCH larger case capacity and the option to launch projectiles far lower in weight at higher velocities to enhance terminal performance. So let’s swap to an 80 grain bullet and go off forum data that you like. 2800 FPS. Ahhhh there we go! And the MFer will expand as designed!

Now get to reloading them. Move to a stiff charge and the speeds increase. You only have so much case capacity in each. 243 is DOUBLE the case capacity. Again, per your beloved forum data.

We aren’t talking about shooting one hog in the head standing still. A 22 will work for that. I’m talking about 5+ hogs dead per shooter per ground of hogs engaged. The blackout will show you how weak it is right then and there.

The blackout was built to shoot people. Not animals. 9” barrel ultra quiet with subs while a man with a badge or stripes kicks a door down.

Is 16” getting the most out of a 243? Heck no. Luckily I have a ton of other options. To say it sucks and compare it to a 300 blk is laughable. You don’t compare two calibers but choosing the highest weight grain in one and the lightest in the other. Compare sectional density and BC too….

That 80 grain 6mm pill at 2800(way faster with handloads) hits MUCH harder than the 110 30 cal pill at 2400. AND it actually has excellent terminal performance!

Are there better calibers? Yes. With trade offs. I’ve got a 16” 6 creed in the works. A 22” 6 creed. And a 26” 6 creed. No longer have the 243. But plenty of 6mm options. Not even getting into the 22 cal, 30 cal, 284s etc. Options. A fella has options.

But to alter data in your favor can be easily manipulated. Run your 243Ai with lighter pills at 16” and you’d probably be quite pleased at the performance you still have. Ideal? No. But there’s other options. Carrying a suppressed 24”+ barrelled gun plus a thermal and an 8 lb tripod miles in a night sucks. Lose the weight where you can while keeping the most performance.

FYI the buddy rubi and raider are telling you about kills more hogs in a year with a 16” 243 AR10 than you likely will in 10 years. They kill a LOT of hogs. He’s tried all kinds of calibers in different combos. Big reason he’s still shooting it. Thousands and thousands of hogs….

Only reason I bought that 243 was it was a deal. If it didn’t perform I planned on swapping barrels. Easy fix. But it performed just fine. My original point in my original comment was that if a 16” 243 is(and it easily is) hearing safe, then nearly anything else the OP runs will be as well.

You chose to run your mouth like you always do. Now go look at how many people bash the 300 blk. Then go look at how many bash a 243. Wonder why? I know why. And I just stated it.

Do I know everything? Am I the best shooter in the world? Absolutely not. To both. But I have been very fortunate to own and play with a very large variety of guns and in gear in many varieties and see what works. And also what doesn’t. I’ve always got more to learn. And I’m open to suggestions and learning. But **** sure not from folks that act like you!
        cmon .. you run your mouth just as much ... just admit it.. I do ..

frankly the numbers on that website for that 243 they chopped seemed low ..
        it was a take off barrel ... could have been worn out.. i didn't alter data .. i used theirs and i went 100 grain because i tried to stay close to the same weight to compare apples to apples ...

you talk trash as much a anyone. .. you talked smack about the rpr too ..and they are fantastic guns in my opinion .. and any gunsmith that has to true out a remington 700 would probably agree ..

bergara's tikka and sako are nice too ... i still want a TRG when i grow up .

and i use 22 hornet , 223 , 300blk , 243 , 7.62x39. , 260 308 and 270 ... everything else bigger, i have no use for anymore ... i shoot pigs and texas deer ... i don't need a cannon .. i much prefer shot placement ...

my gun range is 700 yards .. i don't need to get a gun to shoot further .. i don't have a place to shoot further .

and i don't eradicate pigs either .. i shoot one or two every weekend ... i like to see something to shoot every time I go or invite my friends ..

so.. does 300blk suck if you spray and pray ... sure ... but frankly when you see those thermal videos on youtube ... there's allot of shooting air going on

people shooting pigs 4-5 times. ... they can't miss fast enough ... no matter the caliber they use... i just don't care to hunt that way...

but not knocking someone who does ... whatever floats your boat.

Comment

Originally posted by okiepighunter View Post
          run a oss helix on a 308 17" barrel a bunch! aint even noticed the sound difference between it and my silencerco harvester and my gun stays clean so..
          whateves
          Glad to hear this

Comment

there you go again .. i never compared a 16" 243 to a 9" 300blk ..
            16" to 16". .. speed and energy are almost identical ...

love how you change the conversation to fit your numbers ..i can do that too..
            guess what else has 1327ft/lbs of energy an 3296 fps ... 55gr xtac 556 ..

that's same energy and more speed that that neutered 243 ..

but all those are **** and yours is great .. cause you said so ... ok! we'll have to agree to disagree ...
            16” 300 BO vs 16” 243 may be very similar, but I don’t want to shoot a 9” 300 BO much less a 16” 300 BO. There’s task and purpose, and sometimes this are dictated by what you already have in your stable, or many other reasons that are solely exclusive to that particular person. I’d shoot a 16” 6 Creed (not 243, as I already roll 6 CM so that’s what I’d stick with). But I’d shoot it because I already roll 6 Creed for a couple longer barreled rifles. I have zero desire to own a 308, which in a 16” rifle makes more sense. But I’m not going to start loading for 308 simply to own a 16” rifle. So I’d take the performance drop of the 16” 6, as it would still be sufficient for my uses. Actually I’d do 18” as it doesn’t suck quite as bad, but a 16 would still be fine. So just because it doesn’t make sense to you doesn’t mean a dam thing. It doesn’t have to. And plenty of cartridges outperform 308, so there’s always an argument that something is “better”. It only matters what the user wants out of it, but you can’t get your head around that.

Comment

not going to bite and tell you how many nfa items I own .. but my schedule A is multiple pages ... so there's that!

probably owned firearms when you were still in diapers ..

started reloading over 30 years ago ..

so while i use google to find people who actually chopped a 243 inch by inch proving how a 16" 243 has almost exact ballistics of your so worthless hated 300blk ...

all i said was 16" 243 lol ... after your mis-spoken back pressure comment..

and i stand by my comment .. a 16" 308 ar10 has 1000ft/lbs more energy than the same gun with the same barrel length in 243..
              where did i mis-speak on that ? is it not true ?

go ahead and post your chrono data .. and your bullet spec ... please prove me wrong .. show me how i'm talking out of my ash. and i'll apologize ..

let's see it
              Sir while you google to find people that chop barrels inch by inch we actually talk to people everyday that do it. We’ve got a group chat of about 24-25 of us that are close friends, with many big name smiths and manufacturers in the industry. Long range, ELR, suppressor, and military contract manufacturers. We’ve chopped quite a few barrels, and tried all sorts of twists rated, projectile combos, etc at varying barrel lengths. Usually before any project kicks off there is a long drawn out discussion about the pros and cons of each. Between all of us the number of barrels that we go through a year is astounding. We’ve got a smith locally to me, who I’ve donated barrels to and had him chamber a handful of combinations myself, as well as a few larger names that we’ve done the same with. I was on SilencerTalk long before any of these groups as well. I’ve hosted numerous hunts with that reps from SilencerTalk that you mention. I’ve worked for them on contract basis a few times, and been offered jobs by them. I’ve helped host multiple silencer and machine gun shoots over the years. The last 3-4 years I’ve shied away from the gun industry more and more, but I’ve had plenty of opportunity in it. It’s actually how I met my wife, and how I came about my current position. I’m past doing it for gain, and the more I watch the industry in general the less I want to do with it. These days I even got out of target shooting for the most part. I just shoot to kill these days. Matt and myself both jumped off feet first into long range, and made our way into ELR as well. That was a decade ago. I had an 1100 yd private range 4 minutes from my office, and used to hit it 2-3 times a week with load work, zeroing, dope, etc. I’ve stretched a handful of rifles past a mile with great success. I doubt either of us have shot a fifth of what we used to. Matt still let’s his mouth outrun his brain sometimes, but he actually knows what he’s talking about when he takes the time to think it through

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                **** Anthony, why you be dissin’ on 2 of my favorite calibers? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Haha honestly I talk crap about a lot of calibers that are actually viable options for that particular use. I’ve just grown a dislike of them for other reasons. It’s usually fanboy talk, but sometimes other reasons lol

Comment

Working...
                X