No announcement yet.

Gar fishing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drift fishing over shallow water with live bait will get you started. As far as what gear, 15-2o lb and a good rod and reel,, you will have a ball. I caught one over 4 feet in a river on a crappie rig with 8 lb test line. It was fun.

Comment

All these bow hunters on here and nobody’s said fling an arrow at them yet?!

That aside, rope lures are a real dirty trick for gar. I like to tie a cluster of paracord inner strings, about 4 or 5 inches long, to a circle hook, then hook a shad on there, and hang it out about a foot and a half under a big bobber. Once the bobber disappears, give him about a minute.

Or find some shallow water at night, and gig them. I don’t live close enough to the coast to hit the flounder very often, so gar and gaspargou in a shallow river make a dandy substitute

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
        I can't see the size of them. . . due to that pesky gar.
        I was thinking the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
          Look up rope lures for gar
          This, they work

Comment

Rope lure, dead bait, even a top water bait. Sight cast to them, they are very curious and you can often elicit a strike. Likely long nose gar that you see. Now, back to the t 'n a pics

Once you catch one or two, that will be enough

Comment

Working...
            X