No announcement yet.

Coral Snake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my daughter got picture of one in the Elm Creek Subdivision in SA. She was walking her little dog and it jumped right over the snake. Sent me the pic and asked if the snake was a corral. I told her it was and it's a good thing the dog didn't mess with it.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
      What's that?
      Coral snake. Just a dark phase one. Could be melanistic.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post

Yep, if you look real close low down on the sides/bottom of the snake, you can see just a touch of red... That's a cool looking one for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Yep, if you look real close low down on the sides/bottom of the snake, you can see just a touch of red... That's a cool looking one for sure.
          It really is a cool lookin snake. I'd probably have to take something like that to the taxidermist. I don't know how rare that would be but definitely not something you see all the time. Sweet lookin snake.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
            Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            You fellers would be correct. Yes, it is melanistic.

I was just trying to point out that the old rhyme, while accurate most of the time, is not always faithful. There are several beautiful color phase coral snakes.
            I would like to have a collection of them.

Comment

I've caught a few when I was a kid up along Red River in Fannin Co. at Mulberry, Tx where I grew up. Found them in mud martin holes along the river bluff. I guess they were in there eating bird eggs. Also found a few in Sandy creek seining minnows for fish bait. Most were less than 18" long.

Comment

I've seen several over the years on one of the trails in our park, and it's paved so they could be there for the warmth from the asphalt.
                They always cross the trail in the same area, so I guess they have a good population in that area.
                They get a pass from me, and now I just look at them as I pass by and we both go about our way.

Comment

Working...
                X